Granny's Crackers

Salads, slaws, veggies, chili, soup, anything you serve with a meal.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

spacetrucker USER_AVATAR
spacetrucker
Chuck Wagon

Re: Granny's Crackers

Postby spacetrucker » Fri May 13, 2016 8:48 am

she probably knew exactly how to make the "mix" out of powdered milk or what ever it is made of?
Don't count every day, Make every day Count
Good Cue to ya..
Vernon

FEC-100
Webber kettle 22"
Webber genesis
Blackstone pizza oven
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sat Jun 18, 2016 5:34 pm

changed the recipe a tad by doubling the red pepper flakes and also adding rounded teaspoon of cayenne pepper on my last batch of these and that will be my go to seasonings from now on - - I also think I'll only use a cup of canola next time - - - been eating on them since Monday and they're still good and crisp :tup:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
woodenvisions USER_AVATAR
woodenvisions
Chuck Wagon

Postby woodenvisions » Sat Jun 18, 2016 7:31 pm

I HAVE to give this a shot with parmesan flavored crackers.
Looks excellent and I'm shocked as well they aren't soggy, very odd but pretty kool!
spacetrucker USER_AVATAR
spacetrucker
Chuck Wagon

Postby spacetrucker » Fri Jun 24, 2016 10:04 am

I have started using peanut oil, one cup works better than 2/3 cup, as it helps with dispersion of the seasonings.
On the seasoning, experiment with your favorite bbq rubs along side the ranch and cayenne pepper, I have folks at work offering $ if I will bring a box at a time in...
I hate to mention another rub (because this forum would not exist with out sucklebusters ) but the chupicabra rub (made by dos gringos) available at HEB with the MSG in it makes these crackers indescribable, just add a table spoon and a half to the oil... :chef:
Good Cue to ya..
Vernon

FEC-100
Webber kettle 22"
Webber genesis
Blackstone pizza oven
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Fri Jun 24, 2016 1:37 pm

dang, ST, I just got back from HEB picking up supplies to do a jug of these for Sunday - - it's the youngest Stepson's BD gathering - - - however, I'm like you and have been doing quite a bit of these lately but I can't tolerate MSG and neither can my oldest son :dont: - - - - however, thanks for sharing and have a great weekend :tup:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
spacetrucker USER_AVATAR
spacetrucker
Chuck Wagon

Postby spacetrucker » Sat Jun 25, 2016 9:33 am

I guess that msg is weird stuff, In years gone by we were told of the perils of it causing cancer and the like, so we steered clear of it.
nowadays not so afraid of it any more besides if cancer is gonna get me it better hurry up afore its too late...
I have to tell ya you opened a whole can of worms with those crackers, totally new for us...
wait till you start buying raw almonds, soaking them in bourbon and brown sugar then smoking them on your pellet grill with a little garlic and onion powder lemon juice and salt :shock: :idea:

OUP-- this is still in the development stage...
Smoked almonds

Start with 2 to 2 1/4 cups of raw almonds in a bowl.

Add 3 table spoons of wiskey; 1 tablespoon of immation butter extract and 1 tablespoon
of coconut extract.

Stir to coat the nuts, every 20 to 30 minutes for about 3 hours or until all wiskey and
extract is gone from the bowl.

coat nuts with 2 tablespoons of pure maple syrup. more if sweetness is desired. or add brown sugar to encase each nut

Spray a screen shelf (frogmatt) with pam other wise nuts stick like cement.

cook in the smoker or oven at 270 or so for about 3 hours until crunchy.
Last edited by spacetrucker on Sat Jun 25, 2016 9:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
Good Cue to ya..
Vernon

FEC-100
Webber kettle 22"
Webber genesis
Blackstone pizza oven
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sat Jun 25, 2016 9:42 am

Yeah, back when the youngest and I were shoeing horses we stopped at a local Mexican Restaurant and pigged out. Although I had eaten there before, this time the MSG caused me to have heart attack symptoms to the point of my son taking me to ER and then followed by a cardio full check up. Luckily it turned out to just be a reaction to the MSG but I thought I was a goner for sure :whiteflag: :laughing7: :D :lol:

GMTA, I just finished rolling some Granny's Crackers for tomorrows get together with the Wiffy's bunch and celebrating her youngest BD. I only used a cup of Canola and may try Peanut Oil next fix but I doubled the crushed red pepper and threw in a heaping tsp of cayenne. Taste test proved to be :cheers:

Return to “Sides and Such”