A Bread WINNER !

Salads, slaws, veggies, chili, soup, anything you serve with a meal.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

A Bread WINNER !

Postby OldUsedParts » Wed Oct 28, 2015 6:49 pm

My oldest son called me the other day wanting to know how to fix corn dodgers (aka hot water cornbread) but then told me that his cornmeal had bugs in it so what would I recommend to fix with the tortilla soup he had prepared - - - - didn't take me long to come up with "Indian Fry Bread" as an idea - - - -I gave him the recipe that some friends at the Alabama Choushatta Indian Reservation had shared with me many years ago - - - -

3 cups flour, 3 rounded teaspoons of baking soda, 1/2 teaspoon of salt, water as needed to bond and 3/4cup of milk - - - -

first you mix all the dry ingredients together and then drizzle in the water while mixing with a fork until it starts bonding - - - then start drizzling in the milk until it makes enuff of a dough to work with your hands (this is trial and error but not hard) - - - - then knead the dough a little bit until everything has come together - - - - - then pull off enough dough to roll into a 2" ball - - - - lay ball of dough on flat surface and press with palm of hand - - - then take your fingers and start working it from the center to the edge creating a "thin" pancake piece of dough - - - - the Indian Ladies that I watched do this also worked it out to the edge between their hands and fingers - - - - then drop the flattened dough into 1 to 2 inches of hot grease and fry until golden brown turning to fry both sides evenly - - - remove and drain on paper towels

these can be used as a side bread for sopping up pot liquor, or you can shape them like a bowl and make Indian Tacos from them - - - adding your own Taco ingredients - - - - and last but not least you can mix some melted butter and honey together then brush it onto the fry bread and sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar -- - that's one of our favorite ways to do them if we're not making soup or chili :chef:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Re: A Bread WINNER !

Postby OldUsedParts » Fri Oct 30, 2015 4:07 pm

Had me a brain burp when I was typing this (way too long) recipe and story but I did want to make sure that I mentioned to leave dough in the bowl after mixing, cover with a towel and allow to set for at least 40 minutes. before shaping and frying. I'm fixing Chili tomorrow and plan on rustling up some of this fry bread to eat with it.

hope everyone has a great weekend,
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
bigred USER_AVATAR
bigred
Pilgrim

Postby bigred » Sat Apr 30, 2016 9:53 am

I really wanna try this but feel like i need pictures to gwt it right
:D
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sat Apr 30, 2016 10:20 am

Don't know if Red Raider Youtubes are the same as East Texas but there are lots and lots of Videos there from many different Tribes. When used as a carrier for Tacos or filling of your choice they are the final POW WOW, my friend. :tup:

Return to “Sides and Such”