Seafood Bisque

Salads, slaws, veggies, chili, soup, anything you serve with a meal.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

bondobill
Outlaw

Seafood Bisque

Postby bondobill » Sun Sep 20, 2015 6:09 pm

I got this recipe from a friend who lives in NC
I usually makeup a batch on Christmas day for early appts while the prime rib is in the smoker. Something about the taste of "summer" in the dead of winter

These are my buddies word, I'll chime in a couple of times.

Recipe adapted from original, Broussard's of New Orleans

Serves twelve as an appetizer, six as a lunch with salad and bread:

1/2 lb bacon
2 large Vidalia sweet onions
3 ribs celery
1 large red pepper
butter
3 bay leaves
1 quart half and half
1 quart chicken stock, or half chicken and half seafood stock
3/4 cup flour
1 bag shredded, fresh hash browns (fresh, not frozen, available in the egg section) " I can never find fresh hash browns...frozen work just fine but I like to make my own using Yukon Golds, or Russets. I'll shred well before hand and let them sit in cold water for a hour or so then rinse with cold water and let them drain well in a colander.
1 lb. crab meat...If you cant find fresh cracked crab, canned crab will work.I like fresh cause you can cut it into bigger peices
1 lb shrimp, cut in small chunks
scallops, chunked
1 can clams with clam juice, or fresh clam bits....8oz can...like my buddy told me the clams aint the star of this show
chunked fresh white fish...grouper, flounder, snapper, etc (optional)..... personally I have never added the fish.
bottled spring water
sea salt, fresh ground pepper, cajun seasoning, dash or three cayenne pepper
fresh cilantro, fresh parsley, paprika

In large fry pan, fry bacon, remove, set aside. Add a bit of butter to bacon grease......I like butter so I add more than just a bit...... saute finely chopped veggies 5-7 minutes till tender. Add additional butter if necessary to prevent sticking. Set all aside.

In jumbo dutch oven, make roux with butter and flour. Low heat, do not burn, stir constantly. When roux is medium brown (12 minutes) add chicken stock, veggies and bacon bits from above. Add clams and juice. Cover. Simmer on medium low twenty plus minutes, stir often. Add spring water as needed. Do not scald.

Add half and half, hash browns, spices, bay leaves, bring to low boil, then simmer on low 20 to 30 minutes, stir often. Render bacon fat from sides if necessary. As it cooks down, add spring water as needed to prevent scalding, smooth consistency.
You want the hash browns to render down to very small slivers before adding the seafood.
Add picked crab, simmer 5-10 minutes. (add spring water as necessary if bisque thickens too much.)

Add fish if used, then scallops, then shrimp.........I like to wait till the last 5 minutes of cook before adding the shrimp....... Do not allow fish chunks to break down, lift lightly.Taste, add more spices to taste. Simmer 5-10 minutes more. Depending on personal taste, add fresh cilantro. DO NOT overcook your pricey fresh seafood here... SERVE.

Ladle to bowls, top with fresh parsley and paprika, additional cilantro on the side. Serve with French bread for dipping.

Give it a try, it will be a big hit with your guests.

Bill
gator USER_AVATAR
Gator
Sheriff

Re: Seafood Bisque

Postby Gator » Sun Sep 20, 2015 7:02 pm

That looks pretty good right there...thx.
Gator

"I won't tolerate rude behavior" - Woodrow F Call
okie sawbones USER_AVATAR
Okie Sawbones
Outlaw

Postby Okie Sawbones » Sun Sep 20, 2015 8:23 pm

I love seafood bisque, especially lobster bisque. The hashbrowns seem a little odd, instead of small cubed potatoes, but hey, it may work well. I also use Sherry in my bisque. You might try that sometime. Most New Orleans restaurants use brandy, Sherry, or Madeira.
KCBS - CBJ
PNWBA - CBJ
Jambo Clone, Primo Oval XL, Blaz'n Grills Pellet Stove, Weber 22.5", Lynx SS Grill, The Big Easy
VFW - Life, DAV - Life
williep USER_AVATAR
Williep
Outlaw

Postby Williep » Mon Sep 21, 2015 6:50 am

Dang that look's good. :salut:
woodenvisions USER_AVATAR
woodenvisions
Chuck Wagon

Postby woodenvisions » Mon Sep 28, 2015 12:38 pm