Pickled Eggs

Salads, slaws, veggies, chili, soup, anything you serve with a meal.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

Do you like Pickled food other than cucumbers?

Poll ended at Thu Oct 11, 2007 10:18 am

Yes, I love pickled stuff
57%
I could take it or leave it
14%
Vinegar is for cleaning coffe makers
29%

Total votes: 14
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Pickled Eggs

Postby DATsBBQ » Wed Oct 10, 2007 10:18 am

A couple of days ago I discovered I had a half dozen eggs that were getting on the old side. Hard boiled them and when cool placed them in a small pickle jar, added water to cover the emptied the water into a measuring cup. Came to just shy of 2 cups.

Added 2 cups of Apple Cider vinegar to a nonreactive pan. To that I added 6 cloves and stick of cinnamon, brought to boil then reduced to a simmer.

Meanwhile I removed the eggs from the jar an removed their shells. Put 1 dried habrenaro pepper in the bottom of the jar along with some sliced red onion. Then added the eggs and warm seasoned vinegar (with cloves and cinnamon removed) and capped it.

Don't look like much now, but when they have pickled for 10 days or so I'll post a pic.
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Wed Oct 10, 2007 10:47 am

Here is my pickled egg recipe. I haven't made them in a long time my grandson loves them and has his dad make them.

Pickled Eggs

1 to 2 doz. boiled eggs, shelled
2 c. vinegar
1 tbsp. salt
1 c. water
1 tsp. black pepper corns
1 tsp. mustard seeds
6 pod hot pepper (red chile pods)
1 med. size onion sliced
Heat vinegar and water to boiling and pour over eggs and sliced onion. Let stand 10 days. Very good with beer.
Notes:
Cider vinegar has better flavor but will stain eggs, distilled will not.
Vary spices to taste but keep vinegar, water salt ratio constant.
Variation try 2 tablespoons of pickling spice, 1/4 cup sugar in place of mustard and pepper corns.
Variation mix with pickled beets to get red color.
tarde venientibus ossa....
steercrazy USER_AVATAR
SteerCrazy
Retired Lawman

Postby SteerCrazy » Wed Oct 10, 2007 11:06 am

I'll pass on the pickled eggs :potty: :laughing7:
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Wed Oct 10, 2007 11:11 am

Pure vinegar will extend the shelf life of the product by at least a couple of weeks.

Other "add-ins":
whole garlic cloves,
a sprig of an herb,
a radish or two
any type of dried pepper

adjust to you personal preference
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
bigwheel
Outlaw

Postby bigwheel » Wed Oct 10, 2007 1:19 pm

Love them pickled eggs. Some of the best I can recall came from a pool hall which was the local hangout back in high screwl in Whiskeyta Falls, TX. It was run by a couple of firemen which had staggered days off so when one was working the other was there. Anyway..they bought gallon jugs of hot pickled sausages for sale and when the sausages ran out they filled the jar up with boiled eggs. Turned them eggs bright red and after a week in the jug was some mighty good eating. Made some very aromatic flatulence..sniff sniff.

bigwheel
nascarchuck USER_AVATAR
nascarchuck
Retired Lawman

Postby nascarchuck » Wed Oct 10, 2007 4:43 pm

Pickled eggs... :big:
Chuck

http://cookinwithchuck.blogspot.com - Updated 01/10/10

copkid USER_AVATAR
copkid
Chuck Wagon

Postby copkid » Wed Oct 10, 2007 7:40 pm

I love pickled beets, along with pickles. I pickle beets whenever I can! Never tried a pickled egg!
Laura
Laura

In Valor, There is Hope
-Tacitus

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulders, and your hand over my mouth!
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Fri Oct 19, 2007 6:11 pm

Just tried one. Just as Papa T promised, the outside was discolored. Looked like one of those brown eggs that the grocers get a premium for. Strong vinegar flavor, was disappointed by the lack of heat (dried Hab). Anyway, I put in the fridge thinking if they are chilled the background flavors might come out more.

Pics when I find where the Mrs hid the camera. :banghead:
Deputy Dave

Allie

Postby Allie » Sun Oct 21, 2007 10:48 am

Laura, I love pickled beets, too. I've never made any myself and would love a recipe!!

As for pickled eggs, I've never tried them. I don't much care for a boiled egg unless it's still warm so don't think I'd like the pickled ones.
sharkie USER_AVATAR
Sharkie
Rustler

Re: Pickled Eggs

Postby Sharkie » Tue Jan 03, 2017 7:05 pm

one of the most comical police reports I have personally witnessed was all over a jar of pickled eggs. the report was being taken as I entered the liquor store, some scumbucket had entered the store after hours and the owner was madder than a wet hen over it, the only thing removed: the jar of pickled eggs. Thanks for the recipe Papa Tom, I intend to make a few jars for the office.
russ USER_AVATAR
Russ
Chuck Wagon

Postby Russ » Wed Jan 04, 2017 1:40 am

Never had pickled eggs, I do my own pickled gherkins, onions, and other preserves. I do however like a scotch egg, it's a hard boiled egg that is wrapped in sausage meat about 5mm thick and rolled in breadcrumbs then deep fried. Everybody loves those suckers.

I'll think about pickled eggs and MAY try them?

Russ
4 burner q
Honky hangi
Home smoker.

It costs nothing to be nice. A smile goes a long way.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Wed Jan 04, 2017 7:00 am

Wow, this thread had some cobwebs on it didn't it :?: As for me, I don't like boiled eggs unless they are chopped up in tuna salad or "deviled" - - - when I was in College down in little Bohemia, I watched a many of those old Farmers eat them pickled eggs like fritos in the pool halls and domino parlors where I spent my ?spare time? :D but I did enjoy some of that Falstaff when no one was looking ;)
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"

Return to “Sides and Such”