PAN DE CAMPO "COWBOY BREAD"

Salads, slaws, veggies, chili, soup, anything you serve with a meal.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

rwbtex USER_AVATAR
RWBTEX
Outlaw

PAN DE CAMPO "COWBOY BREAD"

Postby RWBTEX » Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:13 am

Have had several requests for my bread recipe so will post here for all to see. This is our basic family recipe for many years. Over the years we have tried different combinations with flours oils sugars ect. Recently been using Crisco butter flavored instead of oil with good results but you cant go wrong with this original recipe, its a crowd pleaser. We also cook it in the oven at home and its wonderful but for some reason the competition bread in a dutch oven over mesquite coals always seems to have a better flavor. Couple more notes: Always let it rest a while wrapped in paper towels or plain cloth towels for a while and cowboy bread is like brisket in that it always tastes better the next day reheated, go figure. For this reason in competitions we always let it cool off completely which means it has to be ready way early from turn in times. Plus +- 10 minutes before turn in will slightly toast it both sides in the dutch oven which gives it an additional and imo a better overall flavor profile. Remember too to poke a few holes on top of bread before it goes into the ovens so it can breath a little and cook evenly otherwise it will not cook well in the middle. Like anything it takes a little practice and maybe some trial and error. There are other recipe's online and in books too but this is one that has been good to us for many years. We all love spreading a little butter on top and then a little honey, heavenly goodness in a simple bread, amen. Good luck and have fun.

8 cups flour
8 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon sugar
1 1/2 cup of oil (or butter crisco)
3 cups milk (you can also use distilled water instead of milk)

DO NOT OVER KNEAD! Remember to let it rest at least 30 minutes after kneading and longer is better.
Mix all ingredients in large mixing bowl and add oil, mix well and knead till all clots are gone.
Also dissolving salt and sugars and powder in the milk will give more even distribution (giving away a competiton secret here)
SMOKIN' LONESTAR BBQ TEAM
on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SmokinLonestar/
Hasty Bake Legacy
Pitts and spitts 24x48 stick burner
Napoleon Kettle
Weber bronze kettle
Traeger Pellet Pro 34
PK Grill for steak comps and fajitas at home
and then some
n2dabluebbq USER_AVATAR
n2dabluebbq
Bandolero

Re: PAN DE CAMPO "COWBOY BREAD"

Postby n2dabluebbq » Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:41 pm

never have made much bread because never know of one i wanted to try. but now it seems that i just might have to start.
thank you for the share sir.

oh and there are bread competition in the dutch oven comps? never been to one yet
ecto1 USER_AVATAR
ecto1
Cowboy

Postby ecto1 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 6:28 pm

n2dabluebbq wrote:never have made much bread because never know of one i wanted to try. but now it seems that i just might have to start.
thank you for the share sir.

oh and there are bread competition in the dutch oven comps? never been to one yet

It is mainly south of the Nueces river where they have Pan De Campo as a catergory
"Intelligence is something we are born with. BBQ’ing is a skill that must be learned"

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/pages/Fat-Ash-BBQ/204098269604777
rwbtex USER_AVATAR
RWBTEX
Outlaw

Postby RWBTEX » Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:34 pm

Guess i forgot a couple details.

That recipe makes four round approximate 12" breads. Separate the total knead into four balls after it has rested a while then use a rolling pin to roll out four round breads like pizza breads. They can be larger if you roll them thin and smaller if you roll them thick, about 1/2 to 5/8 inch is the traditional way. Pirece the breads on top a few times with a fork after you roll them out or they wont cook evenly. There are a few pictures on my facebook page if you want to see how they look.
http://www.facebook.com/SmokinLonestar

Will try to get some pics up on this thread soon
SMOKIN' LONESTAR BBQ TEAM
on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SmokinLonestar/
Hasty Bake Legacy
Pitts and spitts 24x48 stick burner
Napoleon Kettle
Weber bronze kettle
Traeger Pellet Pro 34
PK Grill for steak comps and fajitas at home
and then some

Return to “Sides and Such”