Marinated Scallop Brochettes with Roasted Tomatillo Salsa

Fish, shrimp, lobster, crabs, scallops, and any other type of seafood.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

steercrazy USER_AVATAR
SteerCrazy
Retired Lawman

Marinated Scallop Brochettes with Roasted Tomatillo Salsa

Postby SteerCrazy » Fri Apr 27, 2007 12:14 pm

I get these recipes from Weber once a week, usually they haven't been worth passing on but they have been sendin some great one's in the past week. This is a must try!
One thing about Scallops, some of you may have purchased them before some have not but if you do purchase scallops make sure you smell them and they do not have a fishy odor to them. They should smell fresh also, they shouldn't be brown in color. Scallops should also be firm to the touch and not mushy. I've never purchased frozen scallops so I don't know what to say there. I will be trying this recipe!

Marinade
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon freshly grated lime zest
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

24 large sea scallops, about 1-1/2 ounces each

Salsa
1 small yellow onion, cut crosswise into 1/2-inch slices
Extra virgin olive oil
8 medium tomatillos, about 1/2 pound total,
husked and rinsed
1 medium poblano chile
1/4 cup lightly packed fresh cilantro leaves and tender stems
1 medium garlic clove, crushed
1/2 teaspoon dark brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt

1. In a medium bowl whisk the marinade ingredients.

2. Rinse the scallops under cold water. Remove and discard the small, tough side muscle from each scallop that has one. Place the scallops in the bowl with the marinade and toss to evenly coat them. Cover the bowl and refrigerate for 1 hour.

3. Lightly brush or spray the onion slices on both sides with oil. Grill the onions, tomatillos, and chile over direct high heat until lightly charred all over, 6 to 8 minutes, turning once or twice. Transfer the onions and tomatillos to a blender or food processor and place the chile on a work surface. When the chile is cool enough to handle, remove and discard the skin, stem, and seeds. Add the chile to the onions and tomatillos, along with the remaining salsa ingredients. Process until fairly smooth. Taste and adjust the seasonings if necessary.

4. Remove the scallops from the bowl and discard the marinade. Thread the scallops through their sides onto skewers so the scallops lie flat. Grill over direct high heat until just opaque in the center, 4 to 6 minutes, turning once. Serve warm with the salsa.

Makes 4 servings
osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

Postby OSD » Fri Apr 27, 2007 12:32 pm

I love fresh seafood. :D :D That recipe sounds real good. :D I will be trying this one. Grilled scallops are great eating. :D :D
Jim

Return to “Fish and Seafood”