Baja style Mexican tacos

Fish, shrimp, lobster, crabs, scallops, and any other type of seafood.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

surfinsapo USER_AVATAR
Surfinsapo
Outlaw

Baja style Mexican tacos

Postby Surfinsapo » Fri Mar 27, 2009 5:53 pm

Gator wrote:What do you consider "Mexico Style"?

;)

Gator, something like one of these recipes....It's more of Baja style Mexican tacos.. They are awesome.. Really they are just chunks of fish fried in a beer batter and topped with a sauce of your choice... Some of them are garnished with shredded cabbage instead of lettuce. I have some "whitings","pompanp","Drum" and "Spanish Mackerel" for the fish meat

Baja-style fish tacos

Avocado Sauce

Makes 1/2 cup

1/4 ripe avocado, peeled

Pinch of salt

A few drops of lime juice

1 to 2 tablespoons water or milk

2 cilantro springs, stemmed and chopped (optional)

Place the avocado, salt and lime juice in a small food processor. Add 1 tablespoon water or milk (for a slightly creamier consistency) and pulse. Add more liquid as necessary until sauce is the consistency of thick cream. Add the cilantro and pulse until just blended.

Mayonesa Secret Sauce

Makes 1/2 cup

1/2 cup mayonnaise

1 teaspoon white vinegar

1 1/2 tablespoon water or milk

Place the mayonnaise in a small bowl and slowly stir in vinegar. Add water or milk until the sauce is thick and creamy.

Chilies de Arbol Sauce

Makes 1/2 cup

1 garlic clove, smashed with the side of a large knife

1 teaspoon canola oil

1 cup dried chilies de arbol (about 30 chilies), stemmed**

1/3 cup water

1/2 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon white vinegar

Pour canola oil in a small skillet over low heat. Add smashed garlic and cook 4 to 5 minutes until golden and aromatic. Place in a small food processor.

Wearing gloves, seed the chilies (unless you want hotter sauce, in which case, leave the seeds), and place in the processor. Process until well pulverized. Add water and salt and puree until as smooth as possible. Scrape into a bowl and add the vinegar. Let stand at least 30 minutes. Taste for seasoning, adding more salt and/or vinegar as necessary.

**Chilies de arbol are thin, red chilies about 3 inches long, and can be found in the Mexican food section of most major supermarkets or in Latin American markets. These small chilies are big on heat, so use this sauce sparingly.

Tacos

Makes 24 servings, enough for 6 to 8 people

2 cups all-purpose flour

1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder

1/2 teaspoon granulated garlic

1/4 teaspoon cayenne

1/2 teaspoon dry mustard

1/2 teaspoon dried whole Mexican oregano, rubbed to a powder*

Kosher salt

1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

12 ounces (1 bottle) cold beer, plus more to thin the batter if necessary

2 pounds firm, meaty fish (I use halibut or Pacific sea bass)

A little squeeze of fresh lime juice, from 2 to 3 limes

Canola oil, for frying

Serve with:

24 (6-inch) corn tortillas, warmed (you can substitute flour tortillas, but the corn imparts a more authentic flavor)

Avocado sauce

Lime wedges

Mayonesa secret sauce

Salsa de chilies de arbol

Pico de gallo

Finely shredded green cabbage (not lettuce)

Cilantro leaves (optional)

For the batter, whisk together the flour, baking powder, garlic, cayenne, mustard, oregano and salt and pepper in a large bowl until well blended. Stir in the beer until there are no lumps. (The batter can be made several hours ahead and refrigerated.)

Cut fish into pieces the size and shape of your index finger. Sprinkle with some lime juice and salt.

Pour oil into a deep, wide pan to the depth of 2 inches and heat over medium-heat to 350 degrees (if you have a deep-fry thermometer). Otherwise, test the heat by dropping a little bit of the batter into the oil. It should quickly bounce to the surface and be surrounded by tiny bubbles.

Pat the fish dry with paper towel. Check the thickness of the batter by dipping a piece of fish in it; it should be the consistency of medium-thick pancake batter, coating the fish easily and dripping very little. Add a little beer or water if it seems too thick.

Add a few pieces of fish to the batter. Using tongs, lightly swish each piece until thoroughly coated. Remove fish, letting excess batter drip into the bowl before gently placing in the hot oil. Cook a few pieces at a time until they float and the batter is set but still light in color, about 2 to 3 minutes. If a piece sticks to the bottom of the pan, just leave it, and it will release itself.

Remove the fish to a rack to drain, reserving the frying oil. At this point the fish can be cooled and refrigerated, uncovered, if you're preparing ahead.

When you are ready to serve, reheat the oil to 350 degrees, and quickly refry the fish a few pieces at a time for about 1 minute until crisp and golden brown.

Heat tortillas on a dry griddle for 1 minute per side or, using metal tongs, simply hold over an open flame until warmed and slightly charred.

To serve, place refried fish, warmed tortillas and condiments on a table so guests can make their own tacos. To assemble tacos, hold a tortilla in your hand, and spread a spoonful of avocado sauce on it. Place a piece of fried fish on top and sprinkle with a little lime juice. Drizzle with some mayonesa sauce, a few drops of chilies de arbol sauce and some pico de gallo. Top it off with some shredded green cabbage and fresh cilantro.

*Whole Mexican oregano can be found in the Mexican food section of most major supermarkets or in Latin American markets.

ImageImage ImageImage
gator USER_AVATAR
Gator
Sheriff

Re: Baja style Mexican tacos

Postby Gator » Fri Mar 27, 2009 7:47 pm

Very Nice - gonna add those sauces to the check list. I've been making fish tacos with blackened tilapia...
Gator

"I won't tolerate rude behavior" - Woodrow F Call
jamesb USER_AVATAR
JamesB
Retired Lawman

Postby JamesB » Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:14 pm

I love fish tacos! Thanks for the recipes. Pics made me hungry.
jack2u2 USER_AVATAR
JaCK2U2
Chuck Wagon

Postby JaCK2U2 » Sat Mar 28, 2009 6:26 am

I, too, like fish tacos, but I can't get my wife on board. That pretty well leaves it off the menu around here!
Jack
Jr. C's BBQ
http://www.jrcsbbqandseasonings.com" target="_blank

Homemade upright drum smoker
Backwoods Party
GSW upright (now deceased)
nice gas grill
Weber 27" grill
Weber rotisserie
bowhnter USER_AVATAR
bowhnter
Chuck Wagon

Postby bowhnter » Sat Mar 28, 2009 6:32 am

Fish tacos are a favorite around here too. I haven't had em in a while, this makes me want some soon.
Mike

Primo Oval XL
Grilla Silverbac
Weber 26”, 22”, and Jumbo Joe
Weber Genesis
Ooni Pro Pizza oven
Blackstone 22 and 36
chilefarmer USER_AVATAR
ChileFarmer
Forum Star

Postby ChileFarmer » Sat Mar 28, 2009 10:29 am

Fine looking tacos, had tacos last night, sadly they were not fish. Gotta copy down the how to. Looks so good. CF :D
OK, get over it, you lost. God bless America

http://s235.photobucket.com/albums/ee175/ChileFarmer" target="_blank
Lots of Sub folders to.

http://curingandsmoking.blogspot.com/" target="_blank
surfinsapo USER_AVATAR
Surfinsapo
Outlaw

Postby Surfinsapo » Sun Mar 29, 2009 6:34 am

They are super good... I Cooked all the fish in the picture and ate two giant tacos.. The flavor is out of this world.. I made another sauce with equal parts plain yogurt, mayo, then add juice from 3 key limes and Tabasco Chipotle to taste... I know what I am eating today after church.... :D
ImageImage ImageImage
nascarchuck USER_AVATAR
nascarchuck
Retired Lawman

Postby nascarchuck » Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:02 pm

Never have tried fish tacos. I am gonna buy a bag of Tilapia fillets wjile at Sams tomorrw and pan sear them. I might just make a taco or two out of some of the Tilapia.

Also gonna buy some Salmon for my wife. She likes Salmon and not Tilapia and I like Tilapia and not Salmon.... :banghead:
Chuck

http://cookinwithchuck.blogspot.com - Updated 01/10/10

hj USER_AVATAR
Hj
Bandolero

Postby Hj » Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:21 pm

Nascar Might like cod for those fish taco's or halibut little firmer fish

I love both n might try some salmon taco's too.
A mistake is sometimes a great creation
nascarchuck USER_AVATAR
nascarchuck
Retired Lawman

Postby nascarchuck » Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:50 pm

Hj wrote:Nascar Might like cod for those fish taco's or halibut little firmer fish

I love both n might try some salmon taco's too.

Not fixin the Tilapia just for the tacos. I am just gonna make a taco or two with some extra Tilapia. Same with her Salmon. Didnt think about making her a taco with the Salmon. Wonder how that will turn out?

Now If'n I like the fish tacos, I will try the Cod for the tacos...
Chuck

http://cookinwithchuck.blogspot.com - Updated 01/10/10

hj USER_AVATAR
Hj
Bandolero

Postby Hj » Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:53 am

Love Salmon Taco's ....You Might just enjoy the salmon taco also PSst remove the skin n try the ranch jalapeno dressing I posted Enjoy what ever u make
A mistake is sometimes a great creation
mgwerks USER_AVATAR
mgwerks
Bandolero

Postby mgwerks » Mon Mar 30, 2009 5:51 pm

Gotta bump Hj's suggestion. A firm fleshed fish like cod, whiting or even shark works best. It also helps in my experience if they are fried fairly well. A light tender crust gets lost in the tarter (or other) sauce and/or slaw, but a firm shell keeps it's crunch.
Visit my Cooking Blog.

The Armada:
22.5" WSM
MES 30" shorty
42"x24" & 36"x16" stick burners
1966 CharBroil charcoal grill
Weber 18 1/2" Silver
Sam's 32-inch Stainless gas grill (it was free!)
woody wood USER_AVATAR
Woody Wood
Bandolero

Postby Woody Wood » Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:15 am

Love fish tacos
El Rey Smokers
Traeger
Big Green Egg
MeatChurch BBQ
Oakridge BBQ
Backwoods Spirits