Lobster Bisque

Fish, shrimp, lobster, crabs, scallops, and any other type of seafood.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Lobster Bisque

Postby Papa Tom » Tue Jan 01, 2008 6:47 pm

Lobster Bisque

6 tablespoons butter
6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon celery salt
4 1/2 cups milk
1 1/2 cups chicken stock
3 tablespoons minced onion
3 cups cooked lobster meat,
shredded
1 tablespoon paprika
1/2 cup light cream

Melt the butter in a large pot over medium heat. Stir in the flour, salt, pepper and celery salt until well blended. Gradually stir in the milk so that no lumps form, and then stir in the chicken stock. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until the soup begins to thicken. Add the onion and lobster; season with paprika. Cook and stir for 10 more minutes. Stir in the cream, heat through and serve.

Note:
This is pretty darn good as is but I think it can be improved. I have added 1/4 teasp cayenne, 4T diced celery, double the onion, but still the texture is a bit more like white gravy and not as creamy as I'd like. Possibly if the flour was reduced and some corn starch or arrowroot were used as thickeners? Also I reduced the seafood to 2 cups and it was plenty, more than you would get in most restaurants.
tarde venientibus ossa....
gator USER_AVATAR
Gator
Sheriff

Re: Lobster Bisque

Postby Gator » Tue Jan 01, 2008 6:54 pm

Papa Tom wrote:Lobster Bisque

6 tablespoons butter
6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon celery salt
4 1/2 cups milk
1 1/2 cups chicken stock
3 tablespoons minced onion
3 cups cooked lobster meat,
shredded
1 tablespoon paprika
1/2 cup light cream

Melt the butter in a large pot over medium heat. Stir in the flour, salt, pepper and celery salt until well blended. Gradually stir in the milk so that no lumps form, and then stir in the chicken stock. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until the soup begins to thicken. Add the onion and lobster; season with paprika. Cook and stir for 10 more minutes. Stir in the cream, heat through and serve.

Note:
This is pretty darn good as is but I think it can be improved. I have added 1/4 teasp cayenne, 4T diced celery, double the onion, but still the texture is a bit more like white gravy and not as creamy as I'd like. Possibly if the flour was reduced and some corn starch or arrowroot were used as thickeners? Also I reduced the seafood to 2 cups and it was plenty, more than you would get in most restaurants.

More stock?

May I suggest using bacon drippings instead of butter + add a little corn and bacon bits?
Gator

"I won't tolerate rude behavior" - Woodrow F Call
copkid USER_AVATAR
copkid
Chuck Wagon

Postby copkid » Tue Jan 01, 2008 7:11 pm

Bacon drippings would be good, but definately use the butter too. Personally, I would up my cream. I would leave out the milk completely, and use all half and half. Lobster bisque is not traditionally a fat free soup, so live it up! I'm sure it's not something you eat on a weekly basis! Also, bisque is traditionally a smooth soup, so maybe let it cool and put it in a blender, reheat and top with a few chunks of lobster that you reserved. I would also add a few grates of nutmeg when you add the cream. Use fresh nutmeg; makes a huge difference. When I was a waitress in a gourmet restaurant years ago, the Chef made a lobster bisque similar to that, and it could make you sink to your knees with joy!! man oh man, was that stuff heaven!!!
If you decide to stick with the milk, make sure it's whole milk, because anything else will break down and won't keep the bisque together. Just not enough fat!
This is all just my humble opinion! I could sure use some bisque right now!!!
Laura
Laura

In Valor, There is Hope
-Tacitus

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulders, and your hand over my mouth!
Kalrog
Rustler

Postby Kalrog » Tue Jan 01, 2008 7:24 pm

This sounds like the perfect situation for a stick blender to keep it smooth. Just stick the boat motor in there and get rid of some lumps.

About the ingredients, I too prefer a bit of spice with it so I think the cayenne would be good. Anytime you are using onion, also think about celery and carrots.

And I agree with using half & half instead of milk. And maybe try a seafood stock instead of chicken? Or maybe even add a low flavor beer (I keep Bud in the fridge for that purpose).
jamesb USER_AVATAR
JamesB
Retired Lawman

Postby JamesB » Tue Jan 01, 2008 7:34 pm

Here are two recipes that I have in my files. I have not tried either of them, but maybe they will have something in them that differs from yours that might strike your taste buds...

LOBSTER BISQUE SOUP

1 lobster, 1 to 2 lb.
2 ribs celery
1 shallot, minced
1 c. butter (1/2 lb.)
1 c. chopped onion (1 med.)
2 c. half and half (or milk)
Lobster broth
1 tsp. paprika
1/2 tsp. Old Bay Seasoning (optional)
1/2 to 1 c. sherry
1 tsp. concentrated chicken stock or 1 cube chicken bouillon
Salt, white pepper
1 c. flour
3 c. reserved lobster broth

Place lobster and celery in heavy saucepan and cover with cold water. Bring to a boil, then boil 10 to 15 minutes or until lobster is red and cooked.

Remove lobster, strain broth (let lobster cool), set aside.

In a large saucepan, melt butter, then sauté onion and shallot until soft and translucent.

Add half and half plus some of the lobster broth, reserving 3 cups for later use.

Heat milk mixture thoroughly, then add paprika, sherry, chicken stock, Old Bay Seasoning, salt and pepper. In bowl, mix together the flour and reserved 3 cups of lobster broth. Heat until thickened.

Meanwhile, remove meat from lobster and add to the bisque. Allow bisque to simmer (do not boil) for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Garnish each bowl with chopped parsley.

Variation: You can use 1 1/2 tablespoons Minor's Lobster Base instead of lobster broth; eliminate the chicken bouillon.

Variation 2: Instead of using lobster, use an equivalent amount of crab meat. Use Minor's Crab Base instead of lobster broth and chicken bouillon. Instead of Lobster Bisque, you'll now have Crab Bisque!

Variation 3: Instead of using lobster, use an equivalent amount of peeled, deveined and chopped shrimp. Use Minor's Shrimp, Seafood, or Clam Base instead of lobster broth and chicken bouillon. Instead of Lobster Bisque, you'll now have Shrimp Bisque! Makes 3 quarts.

LOBSTER BISQUE

* 1/2 pound lump lobster meat, cooked
* 1 (14.5 oz) can chicken broth
* 2 tbsp celery, chopped
* 1/4 cup fresh mushrooms, chopped
* 2 tbsp carrot, chopped
* 2 tbsp onion, chopped
* 1/2 cup dry white wine
* 1 1/2 cups half-and-half
* 3 tbsp butter
* 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
* 1/8 tsp salt

Directions

1. In a large saucepan, over medium-low heat, melt the butter, then add in the celery, mushrooms, carrot and onion. Cook and stirring often until tender, around 10 minutes. Add in the chicken broth; season with salt and cayenne pepper. Allow mixture to come to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes.

2. Pour the vegetable and broth mixture into a blender, then add 1/4 cup of the cooked lobster meat. Blend, covered, until smooth. Then return the mixture to the saucepan, and mix

in the white wine, half-and-half, and the left over lobster meat. Cook over a low heat, stirring often until the mixture thickens, for around 30 minutes. Serve.
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Tue Jan 01, 2008 7:35 pm

I did use whole milk and I am not talking about lumps as being the problem with the texture just the "mouth feel" of the flour.
Also I used chicken broth instead of stock there is quite a difference and I am sure stock would improve the flavor.
I too think the bacon grease would help and even considered it when making the base but decided it was best not to experiment too much on a single batch.
I always keep fresh nutmeg but always think of it for sweet foods not savory. I know it is good in sausage etc. but just don't think of it.
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Tue Jan 01, 2008 7:39 pm

Those both sound good James B.... I note the additional veggies in them...and the use of wine.....I like wine....
osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

Postby OSD » Tue Jan 01, 2008 7:47 pm

Maybe 3 tblsp of corn starch in place of the 6 tblsp flour and maybe 3 cups of whole milk & 2 cups of heavy cream in place of the 1/2 cup of light cream and 4 1/2 cups of milk. Just thinking it might would make it smoother. :D
Jim
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Tue Jan 01, 2008 7:55 pm

OSD wrote:Maybe 3 tblsp of corn starch in place of the 6 tblsp flour and maybe 3 cups of whole milk & 2 cups of heavy cream in place of the 1/2 cup of light cream and 4 1/2 cups of milk. Just thinking it might would make it smoother. :D

That just might do it for the texture thing.
bigwheel
Outlaw

Postby bigwheel » Tue Jan 01, 2008 9:15 pm

Well dang yall sure getting me hongry here. I love lobsters. In fact just got directions to a place over by the big Airport which supposed to sell em fresh dead and froze solid at a real reasonable price. Yall get the recipe worked out and kindly repoat back. Might be tempted to make a run over there. Thanks.

bigwheel
copkid USER_AVATAR
copkid
Chuck Wagon

Postby copkid » Tue Jan 01, 2008 9:21 pm

Yeh, I like the corn starch and sherry/wine idea. Now that I think back, I think our Chef did splash some white wine in the bisque. Just make sure it's the good stuff and not cooking sherry or wine.
Papa,
How many lobsters does it usually take for the amount you put in the bisque? Or crabs for that matter?
Laura
Laura

In Valor, There is Hope

-Tacitus

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulders, and your hand over my mouth!
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Wed Jan 02, 2008 11:23 am

We had, still have a 1/2 lb of lobster for it and shelled out a soup bowl of crab for that batch I'd guess it too was about 1/2 lb.. Krogers had lobster $6/quarter lb. tail. or $25/lb for larger tails.

Return to “Fish and Seafood”