The Warden's Grand Prize Winning Salmon Patties

Fish, shrimp, lobster, crabs, scallops, and any other type of seafood.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

bigwheel
Outlaw

Postby bigwheel » Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:41 am

2 cans Salmon
1 cup chopped onyawns (sauteed and drained on a paper towel)
1/2 stalk saltine crackers (crushed up fine)
2 eggs (slightly beaten)
salt n peppa
peanut oil

Open and drain the salmon saving the juice. Put the Salmon in a big bowl. Soak the cracker crumbs in the leftover juice whilst you sautee the onyawns. Mix the wet cracker crumbs..onyawns..and eggs to the salmon and stir it up good with a fork or use your hands. Add salt n peppa to taste. Form into flat oblong patties about 3/4" thick 3" wide x 4" long or therabouts. Fry in hot peanut oil till they are nice and brown. Serve with pinto beans..fried tates..fried okry..cornbread and home growed tomaters. Yum yum. You can also add sauteed bell peppas and stuff like that if you want.

bigwheel
Allie

Postby Allie » Wed Oct 24, 2007 10:33 am

I make those! My family loves them!
bigwheel
Outlaw

Postby bigwheel » Wed Oct 24, 2007 11:46 am

Yeah it aint the way my mama done it but it still purty good.

bigwheel
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Wed Oct 24, 2007 12:09 pm

Yes good almost exactly the way the Mrs. makes them. We had our six yr. old grandson and she made them I ate two she ate one and little Christian polished them off and wanted more. No more salmon so she made some with tuna and they were good too.
tarde venientibus ossa....
bigwheel
Outlaw

Postby bigwheel » Wed Oct 24, 2007 2:39 pm

I plumb pigged out on them thangs last night :oops:

bigwheel
osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

Postby OSD » Wed Oct 24, 2007 4:34 pm

That there's good eatin' :D :D
Jim
dj USER_AVATAR
DJ
Chuck Wagon

Postby DJ » Wed Oct 24, 2007 7:17 pm

Not big on Salmon, so gonna try minced fresh clams.....
dj
(not a real Yankee)
http://djstexasstylebbq.com
Caldwell, Texas Native
bigwheel
Outlaw

Postby bigwheel » Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:21 am

Ahh them clams get stuck in your teeth and some of them are made out of rubber and sand. Now I will take some Linguini with Red Clam Sauce. That aint too shabby for Eyetalian Food. Mama Mia!

bigwheel
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Thu Oct 25, 2007 11:34 pm

Mrs won't eat any fish that comes in a can :oops: . Not that I'm all that fond of it either, but I've been known to partake in spam dishes from time to time. She won't eat spam either, but somethings are worth going it alone. Sorry to say that canned fished don't cut the mustard on that score unless we're talking kippered herring. There's something that'll separate the men from the boys.

Once upon a time, when trying to find a way to make trout taste good I made some homemade fishsticks...troutsticks to be exact. I succeeded in smelling up the place for a day or two. Stopped eating trout shortly thereafter.

Nothings beats a Walleye fillet, lightly drenched in seasoned flour and then pan fried in butter. Would try your salmon recipe and sub canned walleye, but just can't seem to find any. :wink: If I could, I would attempt to sneak it pass the Mrs. :D
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Thu Oct 25, 2007 11:57 pm

This brings out yet another "Papa story".
Once upon a time when microwaves were new to us a certain young wife found a recipe for "Poor Man's Lobster" and thought she'd try it. The recipe called for torsk but she couldn't find it and selected turbot "it's close". Then proceeded to cook it in the microwave (instead of a regular oven it called for) and stink up the house. Then she served it to us we all tried but couldn't bear to eat it. So I said here let's see if Fonzy will, the family pooch would eat rocks if we asked him to. I put a bowl of it on the back porch and told him to eat it he smelled and backed off and just looked at us. Again we all encouraged Fonzy to eat it he went back smelled it looked at us and took his snout and shoved it off the porch. We got a great laugh out of it anyway.
No more microwave fish however after 30 years we still get a laugh recalling the event.
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Fri Oct 26, 2007 12:05 am

DATsBBQ wrote:Mrs won't eat any fish that comes in a can :oops: . Not that I'm all that fond of it either, but I've been known to partake in spam dishes from time to time. She won't eat spam either, but somethings are worth going it alone. Sorry to say that canned fished don't cut the mustard on that score unless we're talking kippered herring. There's something that'll separate the men from the boys.

Once upon a time, when trying to find a way to make trout taste good I made some homemade fishsticks...troutsticks to be exact. I succeeded in smelling up the place for a day or two. Stopped eating trout shortly thereafter.

Nothings beats a Walleye fillet, lightly drenched in seasoned flour and then pan fried in butter. Would try your salmon recipe and sub canned walleye, but just can't seem to find any. :wink: If I could, I would attempt to sneak it pass the Mrs. :D

Too picky, actually there aren't a whole lotta ways to fix canned salmon that are good but those salmon patties are. My wife canned carp with the neighbor lady one time and it stunk like heck. I said I ain't eating it but some time later she fed it to me and I honestly thought it was salmon.
BTW #1 son is a pro walleye fisherman and any time I go visit I can lighten his freezer to my hearts content. Good stuff and he generally has plenty of salmon in there as well.
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Fri Oct 26, 2007 12:09 am

Papa Tom wrote:
DATsBBQ wrote:Mrs won't eat any fish that comes in a can :oops: . Not that I'm all that fond of it either, but I've been known to partake in spam dishes from time to time. She won't eat spam either, but somethings are worth going it alone. Sorry to say that canned fished don't cut the mustard on that score unless we're talking kippered herring. There's something that'll separate the men from the boys.

Too picky, actually there aren't a whole lotta ways to fix canned salmon that are good but those salmon patties are. My wife canned carp with the neighbor lady one time and it stunk like heck. I said I ain't eating it but some time later she fed it to me and I honestly thought it was salmon.
BTW #1 son is a pro walleye fisherman and any time I go visit I can lighten his freezer to my hearts content. Good stuff and he generally has plenty of salmon in there as well.

Al Linder I ain't, but I'd take every last oz of Walleye I could, especially if it was free.
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
jamesb USER_AVATAR
JamesB
Retired Lawman

Postby JamesB » Fri Oct 26, 2007 1:20 am

We make crab cakes purty much the same way... only using bread crumbs instead of crackers... and mix in just a bit of Hellman's...

James.
stan41 USER_AVATAR
Stan41
Bandolero

Postby Stan41 » Fri Oct 26, 2007 7:44 am

One time 60 or so years ago me and my two brothers caught a big bunch of carp. My Mother pressure canned the carp in mason jars and we thought it was just like salmon. That has been a long time ago and I might not like it as well now, but then we all thought it was delicious made into "salmon" patties.
Stan
bigwheel
Outlaw

Postby bigwheel » Fri Oct 26, 2007 8:22 am

Hey now a person get a hold of some good carp patties will make you throw rocks at Salmon patties. I usually just chunk it up and pressure cook for about 30 mins then run it through the meat grinder a time or two. Patty it up just like Salmon. Yum yum.

bigwheel

Return to “Fish and Seafood”