Suggestions

Chicken, turkey and any other yard birds.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Suggestions

Postby DATsBBQ » Mon May 11, 2009 9:06 am

I read some accounts of using mayo with a rub on chicken. I'm thinking of trying this. This is what I gather it goes like:
A. Mix rub with mayo
B. Apply mixture below the skin
C. Roast at 300°
D. Enjoy
Is that the jist of it?
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
steercrazy USER_AVATAR
SteerCrazy
Retired Lawman

Re: Suggestions

Postby SteerCrazy » Mon May 11, 2009 9:57 am

Dats,
my mom use to use a mayo spread on top of fish with cracker crumbs and then bake it. You don't need a bunch, just a light spread will do
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Mon May 11, 2009 10:28 am

SC, Thanks for the tip but I don't think it will work for me. I'm going to be doing this on Einstein. The rubbery skin I usually get with yardbirds hasn't bothered me in the past cause I usually toss it anyway, but got an itch to try and get crispy skin for once. Instead of the usual 250° I smoke at, I'm going to crank it up abit. Want to try out some of the samples I got from Freds music Mella Yalla on the breast for the Mrs and the Dixieland Dust Creole seasoning. I'll prep the bird in the usual way by cutting out the backbone.
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
steercrazy USER_AVATAR
SteerCrazy
Retired Lawman

Postby SteerCrazy » Mon May 11, 2009 1:38 pm

Got it, you said Roast at 300* and I was assuming it was gonna go in the oven. What about applying a light coat on the skin or maybe some olive oil on the skin. Or finish it off over some coals on the grill to crisp the skin up a bit.
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Mon May 11, 2009 1:48 pm

I've looked high and low for a rub with mayo and came up short. I think I'll just go with EVOO on and under the skin with then rub. Looked at some chicken recipes on the nakedwhiz site and think I need to crank it up to 350°. I have to set up the deflector or else I'll end up with charbird. Thanks for the suggestions.
Deputy Dave

fr8 train USER_AVATAR
FR8 Train
Bandolero

Postby FR8 Train » Mon May 11, 2009 2:48 pm

When we first started smoking chicken we got the rubbery skin as well. There are a couple things you can do to help crisp it up. Try to sprinkle salt and garlic salt over the skin before you cook it (the salt will draw the fat out of the skin). Another thing you may consider is using a mixture of apple cider vinegar and butter as a mop for the chicken. The vinegar acts the same as the salt and will give you a nice crisp bird. I also put a little ground black pepper in the vinegar mix along with my favorite rub. By the way we cook ours at 300. Works good.
"Sic 'em Bears"
jamesb USER_AVATAR
JamesB
Retired Lawman

Postby JamesB » Mon May 11, 2009 4:09 pm

Seperate the skin from the meat by working your fingers under it... That and kicking up the temp will help you on your way to crispy skin...

Return to “Poultry Recipes”