Chicken Wing Recipe request

Chicken, turkey and any other yard birds.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

jtlogic
Pilgrim

Chicken Wing Recipe request

Postby jtlogic » Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:53 pm

Looking for a good recipe for smoked wings, I have a wood chip propane smoker. Looking for Temp / Time to smoke and any other tips would be great, thanks in advance!
russ USER_AVATAR
Russ
Chuck Wagon

Re: Chicken Wing Recipe request

Postby Russ » Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:13 pm

You'll get some good advice on here, some very good cooks here. They be along shortly.

Russ
4 burner q
Honky hangi
Home smoker.

It costs nothing to be nice. A smile goes a long way.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:42 pm

First of all WELCOME to the Forum :texas: :tup: as for the Wing Recipe, I only grill mine so I would be of no help in smoking them. They sure won't take long no matter what method you use. Keep us informed of what you come up with, if you don't mind. :salut:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
Bockbock
Cowboy

Postby Bockbock » Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:31 am

I smoke mine all the time. I coat them in Olive Oil and then add my favorite rub. I have used Mango/Habenero, Sucklebusters or you can just use good ol salt, pepper, paprika, and cayenne pepper for some heat. I crank the pit up to 300-325 degrees and cook for around 45 minutes. They come out of the pit nice and crispy liked they were fried. I use post oak and mesquite mixture for wood. I am guessing on the time, usually doing some projects while cooking. Good luck and happy eating!
Bockbock
Dillo Q
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:06 am

Bock is probably pretty close on the time. I run 250 - 275 for about 90 minutes. Important part is to check the meats temp before deciding it’s done.

Wings can be as simple or complicated as you want. A simple brine for a few hours prior is good as well.

I remember Parts (I think) used to marinade in Allegro. I still want to try that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:09 am

I would provide a recipe if I had a go to but I tend to do them differently each time. I have had good success with Sucklebusters Clucker Dust as the rub and then tossed in sweet baby rays buffalo wing sauce at the end for a simple method. I believe I have a more complicated Stubbs recipe somewhere that was also good. I can dig through my cool books and find it if you’d like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:27 pm

yes, I do love that overnight marinate in Allegro - - - now they have an Allegro Nashville Hot Chicken but I haven't seen the Creole Hot and Spicy in a long while. however, like Sooner, I too tend to change from cook to cook just to see what I can come up with taste wise - - - I'm bad about that, as the Wife will attest to :banghead:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
jtlogic
Pilgrim

Postby jtlogic » Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:07 pm

Thanks for the help guys, marinating for a few hours and going to try 250 for 90 minutes on the smoker with mesquite chips. I'll post results when I have them.

Thanks again!
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:38 pm

Good Luck, ya can't go wrong with "skeet" :tup: :salut:
woodenvisions USER_AVATAR
woodenvisions
Chuck Wagon

Postby woodenvisions » Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:17 pm

Pre drooling up here in Snow Land :)
jtlogic
Pilgrim

Postby jtlogic » Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:25 pm

Food came out great thanks for the advice. Did 90 minutes on the wings as recommended rubbed down with grapeseed oil and monterey chicken seasoning, added a little rice vinegar and marinated for about 6 hours or so. I started the baby backs doing the 2-2-1 method with a little variation adding in the wings at the 3:30 mark. Ribs were seasoned with everglades cactus dust and a little original. The chicken breasts were amazing as well seasoned with monterey chicken and everyglades original, I did those for 90 minutes also sliced thin at an angle they were super moist and juicy and had a nice subtle smokey flavor not too over powering. Kept the smoker around 250 the entire time, pretty happy with the results and the family was happy too, served potato salad and fresh Florida sweet corn.

20171216_185040.jpg
20171216_185035.jpg
captjack USER_AVATAR
CaptJack
Outlaw

Postby CaptJack » Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:31 pm

on wings, since they are technically white meat
don't take the drumette part of the wing past 165° internal temp
or they get dried out and tough

i cook mine on a 22"OldSmokey
the grill is 8" above the fire pan / coals
so i am actually roasting them over direct heat
they are the best wings you have ever tasted ;)
Attachments
OS_wangs.jpg
22"OldSmokey • 2-burner gasser with GrillGrates
slownative USER_AVATAR
SlowNative
Wrangler

Postby SlowNative » Tue Oct 30, 2018 3:11 pm

I’m gonna have to get in on this OS22 chicken wing cooking
:texas: Slow Native :texas:
:x OLD SMOKEY GANG :x
Old Smokey 14 : Cookshack Smokette Elite SM025 Electric Smoker : MembersMark barrel

Return to “Poultry Recipes”