Anchor Bar Buffalo Wings

Chicken, turkey and any other yard birds.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

dahorns USER_AVATAR
DaHorns
Bandolero

Anchor Bar Buffalo Wings

Postby DaHorns » Sat Jan 05, 2008 9:50 pm

I'm a BIG fan of hot wings, actually wings of any kind, as long as they don't "hurt" going down. Thought I'd share this with y'all......... :wink:

Anchor Bar Buffalo Wings

This is widely reported to be the real "Buffalo Wing" recipe from the Anchor Bar in Buffalo.

Sauce:
6 tablespoons Louisiana hot sauce
½ pound margarine (not butter)
1 tablespoon white vinegar
¼ teaspoon celery seed
¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
¼ teaspoon garlic salt
Pinch black pepper
¼ teaspoon Worcestershire Sauce
1 to 2 teaspoons Tabasco® sauce
Carrot and celery sticks
Marie's® Bleu Cheese Dressing

Sauce: This makes enough for about 30 wings. Mix all the ingredients in a small sauce pan over low heat until the margarine is completely melted. Stir occasionally. Wings: Fry the wings in a deep fryer set at 375°, using vegetable or peanut oil. Fry 15 wings at a time for 12 to 15 minutes. Pour the sauce over them, cover the bowl, and shake to completely coat the wings.
Yellow Dog BBQ Team
Gator Predator
When people realize what is really important in life there will be a shortage of fishing rods.
jamesb USER_AVATAR
JamesB
Retired Lawman

Postby JamesB » Sat Jan 05, 2008 10:41 pm

hum.... I love wings too... We do something similar, but we just mix franks hot sauce with butter 50/50 and fry for about 5 to 8 minutes or so depending on size. Don't guess I've ever really timed it, but it ain't 12-15 minutes. Works for us.

Wings = good eats!

James.

edted to fix typo...
Last edited by JamesB on Sun Jan 06, 2008 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
xxfubarxx
Rustler

Postby xxfubarxx » Sun Jan 06, 2008 8:03 am

Try breading them first then frying them, then shake them in the sauce like they do at Hooters. They hold more flavor. You also get some flavor in the breading. I like using cayenne, garlic, salt and pepper in the flower to bread them.
nascarchuck USER_AVATAR
nascarchuck
Retired Lawman

Postby nascarchuck » Sun Jan 06, 2008 9:54 am

xxfubarxx wrote:Try breading them first then frying them, then shake them in the sauce like they do at Hooters. They hold more flavor. You also get some flavor in the breading. I like using cayenne, garlic, salt and pepper in the flower to bread them.

Gonna have to disagree with ya buddy.

I like em either sauced up or battered up, but dont like em both. The ones that I have had, the batter gets soggy.

But I love wings!

Where ya been fubar??? Havent seen ya around in awhile...
Chuck

http://cookinwithchuck.blogspot.com - Updated 01/10/10

datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Sun Jan 06, 2008 10:49 am

When it comes to wings, I just don't got the touch. I have given on the fryer method (by the time they brown they're shoe leather) in favor of the toaster over with a little Insanity Sauce on top when done.
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
nascarchuck USER_AVATAR
nascarchuck
Retired Lawman

Postby nascarchuck » Sun Jan 06, 2008 10:54 am

DATsBBQ wrote:When it comes to wings, I just don't got the touch. I have given on the fryer method (by the time they brown they're shoe leather) in favor of the toaster over with a little Insanity Sauce on top when done.

Indirect on the grill then when almost done sauce em up with some good wing sauce over direct medium heat. Gotta keep turnin them over the direct though cause they will get charred and God help us if my wife was to get one that was charred!
Chuck

copkid USER_AVATAR
copkid
Chuck Wagon

Postby copkid » Sun Jan 06, 2008 11:19 am

nascarchuck wrote:
DATsBBQ wrote:When it comes to wings, I just don't got the touch. I have given on the fryer method (by the time they brown they're shoe leather) in favor of the toaster over with a little Insanity Sauce on top when done.

Indirect on the grill then when almost done sauce em up with some good wing sauce over direct medium heat. Gotta keep turnin them over the direct though cause they will get charred and God help us if my wife was to get one that was charred!

I'm with Chuck. Just indirect on the grill. I love to experiment with different glazes as well.
Laura

In Valor, There is Hope
-Tacitus

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulders, and your hand over my mouth!
dahorns USER_AVATAR
DaHorns
Bandolero

Postby DaHorns » Sun Jan 06, 2008 12:47 pm

One thing I use is Frank's Hot Sauce. it's soooooooo good!!!
Yellow Dog BBQ Team

Gator Predator

When people realize what is really important in life there will be a shortage of fishing rods.
nascarchuck USER_AVATAR
nascarchuck
Retired Lawman

Postby nascarchuck » Sun Jan 06, 2008 1:38 pm

DaHorns wrote:One thing I use is Frank's Hot Sauce. it's soooooooo good!!!

I like mine with Stubbs Inferno wing sauce. Have you tried Stubbs sauce? Just wonderin how it compares with Franks?
Chuck

jamesb USER_AVATAR
JamesB
Retired Lawman

Postby JamesB » Sun Jan 06, 2008 3:29 pm

Ain't tried the Stubbs wing sauce. Will have to keep an eye out fer it...

Not my kiddos like their wings tossed in a little butter and lemon pepper seasoning...

This year for our annual company get together, we made wings for everyone who came out to camp on Friday night... We fried about 40lbs of wings. We did a mix of the 50/50 franks/butter, the lemon pepper, a garlic butter parmesan variety and some just bbq sauced. We did some breaded and some fried naked before saucing. Everyone there preferred the naked ones...

Dang it, now I got a wing craving again...

James.
dahorns USER_AVATAR
DaHorns
Bandolero

Postby DaHorns » Sun Jan 06, 2008 6:58 pm

You know, I had some wing at a place called Buffalo Wild Wings called Mango habanero and they were spectacular. I wonder if you can find that recipe online........ :idea:
Yellow Dog BBQ Team

Gator Predator

xxfubarxx
Rustler

Postby xxfubarxx » Mon Jan 07, 2008 6:23 am

Nascar I've been running my butt off and there's not much butt to run off.. On the deep frying thing its just a quick swish in the sauce. Don't soak them. Toss between 2 pots really quick just to coat them. They should still be still be crispy but not soaked. Just enough to coat the fried parts. :censor:
Kalrog
Rustler

Postby Kalrog » Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:39 am

DaHorns wrote:You know, I had some wing at a place called Buffalo Wild Wings called Mango habanero and they were spectacular. I wonder if you can find that recipe online........ :idea:

Don't they sell their sauces?
nascarchuck USER_AVATAR
nascarchuck
Retired Lawman

Postby nascarchuck » Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:56 am

DaHorns wrote:You know, I had some wing at a place called Buffalo Wild Wings called Mango habanero and they were spectacular. I wonder if you can find that recipe online........ :idea:

They just opened one of those up about 10 miles from the house. Been wanting to try the place out. Hear it's really good.
Chuck

jamesb USER_AVATAR
JamesB
Retired Lawman

Postby JamesB » Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:41 am

nascarchuck wrote:

They just opened one of those up about 10 miles from the house. Been wanting to try the place out. Hear it's really good.

I was very disappointed the ONE time that we went to the BWW place... If ya'll try it and say it's good, maybe I'll give'em another try... Now I have been known to eat some Wingstop wings on occasion...

James.

Return to “Poultry Recipes”