Extra-Spicy, Extra-Crunchy Fried Chicken

Chicken, turkey and any other yard birds.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

jarhead USER_AVATAR
Jarhead
Bandolero

Postby Jarhead » Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:08 pm

This is from Cooks Country TV website and is a free recipe.
The show was on PBS not long ago, and it looked great.
I've tried it, and this is the only way to do fried chicken, IMHO.
Posted as a reply to the recipes wanted section. I hope I am doing this right. :shock:

Keeping the oil at the correct temperature is essential to producing crunchy fried chicken that is neither too brown nor too greasy. Use a candy/deep-fry thermometer to check the temperature of the oil before you add the chicken (see related testing). If you cannot find a chicken that weighs 3 1/2 pounds or less, or if you don't have a pan that is 11 inches in diameter, you will have to fry the chicken in two batches. Follow the recipe, frying the chicken four pieces at a time and keeping the first batch warm in a 200-degree oven while the second batch is cooking. If you want to produce a slightly healthier version of this recipe, you can remove the skin from the chicken before soaking it in the buttermilk. The chicken will be slightly less crunchy.

Serves 4.
Ingredients
2 cups buttermilk plus 6 additional tablespoons
2 tablespoons table salt
4 tablespoons hot pepper sauce (such as Tabasco)
1 whole chicken (about 3 1/2 pounds), cut into 8 pieces, giblets discarded, wings and back reserved for stock
3 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 tablespoons cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
2 teaspoons chili powder
4 - 5 cups vegetable shortening or peanut oil

Instructions
1. Whisk together 2 cups buttermilk, salt, and hot pepper sauce in large bowl until salt is dissolved. Add chicken pieces to bowl and stir to coat; cover bowl with plastic and refrigerate for 1 hour. (Don't let chicken soak much longer or it will become too salty.)

2. Whisk flour, baking powder, cayenne pepper, pepper, and chili powder together in large bowl. Add remaining 6 tablespoons buttermilk; with your fingers rub flour and buttermilk together until buttermilk is evenly incorporated into flour and mixture resembles coarse wet sand.

3. Working in batches of two, drop chicken pieces into flour mixture and turn to thoroughly coat, gently pressing flour mixture onto chicken. Shake excess flour from each piece of chicken and transfer to wire rack set over rimmed baking sheet.

4. Heat oil (it should measure 3/4 inch deep) in large heavy-bottomed Dutch oven with 11-inch diameter over medium-high heat until it reaches 375 degrees. Place chicken pieces, skin-side down, in oil, cover, and fry until deep golden brown, 8 to 10 minutes. Remove lid after 4 minutes and lift chicken pieces to check for even browning; rearrange if some pieces are browning faster than others. (At this point, oil should be about 300 degrees. Adjust burner, if necessary, to regulate temperature of oil.) Turn chicken pieces over and continue to fry, uncovered, until chicken pieces are deep golden brown on second side, 6 to 8 minutes longer. (At this point, to keep chicken from browning too quickly, adjust burner to maintain oil temperature of about 315 degrees.) Using tongs, transfer chicken to plate lined with paper towels; let stand for

5 minutes to drain. Serve.
"Gunny"
FEC-100, WSM 22.5, WSM 18.5, 3-UDS's and a NB Bandera
Owner/Pitmaster "Debbie's Que Shack"
KCBS CBJ
Jarhead's World on the 26 inch Kettle
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Re: Extra-Spicy, Extra-Crunchy Fried Chicken

Postby Papa Tom » Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:04 am

Thanks JH this sounds like a winner...
tarde venientibus ossa....
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:44 am

Sounds like my kinda bird - - - :cheers:
that baking soda is where the crunchy comes from and
I use it in my fried shrimp dredge also.
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
bludawg USER_AVATAR
BluDawg
Chuck Wagon

Postby BluDawg » Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:59 am

JH that is very close to the way I do chicken except I use S/R flour and no chili powder. Good Yard bird I guarantee it.
Never met a cow I didn't like with a little salt and pepper.
My Blog: Http://acountryboyeats.blogspot.com
Old Country Over/Under
Webber 22" Performer
ECB
jarhead USER_AVATAR
Jarhead
Bandolero

Postby Jarhead » Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:05 am

Thanks Tom, but it's to hot do it in the kitchen. Break out the side burner or fish cooker. :wink:
OldUsedParts Baking Soda? Where? :dont:
I'll have to try it on shrimp. Sounds good. Thanks.
BluDawg, we know good eatin' when we see it! :D Pair that up with some Yukon Gold mashed taters (skin on) and gravy, Texas Roadhouse green beans and fresh corn on the cob. Now that's livin' :wink: D*mn, now I gotta go back to the store, I'm hungry. :lol:
Yeah, you could lose the Baking Powder with SR Flour. What? No heat? :roll:
"Gunny"
KCBS CBJ
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:17 am

Jarhead, I mix together a tblsp of baking soda, a tblsp of vinegar, one egg and a small can of evaporated milk in a bowl and then soak my shrimp in that mix for a couple of hours before taking them out and rolling them in a 50/50 wheat flour and corn flour mixture. Then I fry in hot canola oil until light golden brown. It's just me and the Wiffy so and I only fry up 14 to 18 shrimp so you might want to increase the dredge quanities to fit your crew. Let me know how it works for you.

(this comes from Pat Huval of Henderson, Louisiana)
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
jarhead USER_AVATAR
Jarhead
Bandolero

Postby Jarhead » Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:45 am

Thank you Sir. I'll give that a shot on my next batch of shrimp. Sounds good. Better than Beer Batter?
"Gunny"
KCBS CBJ
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Fri Jul 15, 2011 1:38 pm

Gotta be honest, :dont: I've never done beer batter except in biscuits.
jarhead USER_AVATAR
Jarhead
Bandolero

Postby Jarhead » Fri Jul 15, 2011 2:38 pm

OldUsedParts wrote:Gotta be honest, :dont: I've never done beer batter except in biscuits.

6 eggs, 1 beer, 2 t. salt, 1 C flour, 1 C Cornmeal and ground Chipotle Pepper to taste.
It'll do about 5# of fillets.
I'll PM or post the recipe for you, if you want it.
"Gunny"
KCBS CBJ
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Fri Jul 15, 2011 3:21 pm

Good idea - - - just PM it to me if you don't mind !

and thanks,
OUP

Return to “Poultry Recipes”