Chicken and Sausage Gumbo

Chicken, turkey and any other yard birds.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

bigwheel
Outlaw

Postby bigwheel » Thu Jan 18, 2007 6:44 pm

Hey OSD..looks good. Thanks for sharing. I make purty close to a version of this cept I like a few shrimps and okry in mine. Also tend to use boneless skinless thighs for the chicken ration. Think they got a bit more flavor than breastes. I also gave up on that trying to make roux bizness. A cajun tole me it take an elderly large bottomed cajun lady to know how to make a good roux. He tell me to just go buy a jar of Savoie brand. He say its mo betta than you can make for yourself. Now my most favorite Gumbo do not use roux. It based on a recipe which got swiped from a restaurant and uses File Gumbo and tomater sauce to tighten it up without a roux. I will have to post that one someday. Course all the cajuns be naggin that it aint authenic cuz it aint got a roux huh? :lol:

bigwheel
hof USER_AVATAR
HOF
Rustler

Postby HOF » Thu Jan 18, 2007 6:56 pm

OSD,

For the 1 cup of chopped pepper what kind of pepper do you use?

By the way, Been looking for a good GUMBO recipe. Thanks
My greatest fear is when I die my wife will sell my fishing gear for what I told her I paid for it.
bigwheel
Outlaw

Postby bigwheel » Thu Jan 18, 2007 8:03 pm

Heres a link to there website if you want to try some. Got a jar of it in the cabinet but aint never used it yet. Have heard enough folks braggin on it nearly think it got to be purty good. Now I hate to confess sinful things but Tony Casheries makes a purty good instant roux powder which I would not rate as half bad neither. I have tried that one.

http://www.savoiesfoods.com/about.html

bigwheel
big mike USER_AVATAR
Big Mike
Cowboy

Postby Big Mike » Sun Jan 28, 2007 8:53 pm

OSD,

Gave your gumbo recipe a try tonight. It turned out real good. I added a little Okra and a bit of my rub but other than that I followed the recipe. Served it up with some cornbread. MMMM goood.
Mike

Eagle River BBQ
osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

Postby OSD » Sun Jan 28, 2007 11:46 pm

I add Okra too. Glad you liked it :D
Jim

Return to “Poultry Recipes”