Turkey in a ceramic cooker

Chicken, turkey and any other yard birds.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

honu41
Outlaw

Turkey in a ceramic cooker

Postby honu41 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:06 am

Aloha... I spotted this recipe this morning in the Honolulu paper and I know some of you have ceramic cookers.

KAMADO-SMOKED TURKEY

1 10- to 12-pound turkey, thawed
1-1/2 tablespoons Hawaiian salt
» Marinade:
1-1/4 cups soy sauce
1 teaspoon sesame oil
1 teaspoon whiskey
6 heaping tablespoons sugar
1 large piece ginger, smashed and chopped
3 large cloves garlic

Rub 1 tablespoon of Hawaiian salt into skin and cavity of turkey; refrigerate 12 hours. Turn turkey over and sprinkle remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt over skin. Refrigerate another 12 hours.

Drain turkey, discarding juices.

Combine marinade ingredients and pour over turkey. Refrigerate 24 hours, basting frequently with pan juices.

Place several sheets of crumpled newspaper and strips of wood in fire chamber of kamado. Use 4 or 5 fist-size pieces of charcoal. Light fire and open vents at top and bottom of kamado. Let fire burn 15 minutes until charcoal is burning steadily.

Line bottom of kamado with foil, and place turkey breast-down on rack. Adjust air vents and replace cover. Smoke turkey 1 hour, then turn and smoke 1 hour more. Remove, slice and serve. Serves 8.

Approximate nutritional information, per serving (based on 12-pound turkey and assuming 50 percent of the sodium is absorbed): 900 calories, 38 g total fat, 11 g saturated fat, 315 mg cholesterol, greater than 2,000 mg sodium, 19 g carbohydrate, no fiber, 16 g sugar, 114 g protein

Note: This marinade can also be used on a 3-pound roasting chicken. Make half the amount and marinate for only 12 hours (eliminate the salting process). Smoke 30 minutes on each side.
honu41
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Re: Turkey in a ceramic cooker

Postby DATsBBQ » Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:04 pm

honu41 wrote:Aloha... I spotted this recipe this morning in the Honolulu paper and I know some of you have ceramic cookers.

Place several sheets of crumpled newspaper and strips of wood in fire chamber of kamado. Use 4 or 5 fist-size pieces of charcoal. Light fire and open vents at top and bottom of kamado. Let fire burn 15 minutes until charcoal is burning steadily.

Line bottom of kamado with foil, and place turkey breast-down on rack. Adjust air vents and replace cover. Smoke turkey 1 hour, then turn and smoke 1 hour more. Remove, slice and serve. Serves 8.

Not how I light Einstein. No mention of desired temp but based on 2 hours I suspect hot, like a weber kettle with all vents open.
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee

Return to “Poultry Recipes”