Butt

Ribs, butts, chops, any pork recipes.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

nascarchuck USER_AVATAR
nascarchuck
Retired Lawman

Butt

Postby nascarchuck » Fri Jun 13, 2008 11:26 pm

Smoked 2 butts today for the first time. They tasted ok, but not spectacular. How about throwing some Hog Waller or something on the finished product for a little flavor?

When I heat it up tomorrow for the reunion, I am going to heat in the oven at about 200* and mix with some apple juice.

I put them on at about 7 AM and they came off about 5PM. I had to leave the house at about 2PM and they were about 180* then. When I got back home they were at 210*. They literally fell apart. I didnt really have to "pull" them at all!

Hope to post a few pics in a day or so.
Chuck

http://cookinwithchuck.blogspot.com - Updated 01/10/10

jamesb USER_AVATAR
JamesB
Retired Lawman

Postby JamesB » Fri Jun 13, 2008 11:38 pm

When re-heating pulled pork, I use a bit of apple juice and some additional rub mixed in... works for me!
steercrazy USER_AVATAR
SteerCrazy
Retired Lawman

Postby SteerCrazy » Sat Jun 14, 2008 9:55 am

what james said. It doesn't hurt when all your pork is pulled to throw in a sprinkle or two of your rub
bigwheel
Outlaw

Postby bigwheel » Sat Jun 14, 2008 11:33 am

For spectacular butts do like this. Cut the fat layer off the top and throw it away. Give it a mustard slather...then a heavy rub with whutever you use. Let it rest 10 mins...then give it a spritz of apple juice or cider and pack it down with a massive amount of fine to medium grind black peppa. Might take a pound of the stuff but just keep spanking it on there till it cant hold no mo and let it rest 10 mins. Then give it another spritz with the apple juice and pack on all the brown sugar it will hold just as with the peppa. Let it rest about 20 or 30 mins..or an hour..then cook it. That will give you a grand prize winner.

bigwheel
nascarchuck USER_AVATAR
nascarchuck
Retired Lawman

Postby nascarchuck » Sun Jun 15, 2008 8:22 pm

Well... When reheating, I just threw them in the oven for awhile at about 300*. Didn't use any apple juice or anything, just reheated dry.

Was pretty good. Had alot of compliments! :D

My uncle that cooked the briskets, I found out that he cooked them in the oven for about 4 or 5 hours each. :shock: I hate to say it, but it tasted like it too. :shock:

Here is the only pic that I got of the butts. I need to see if Mom got a pic of the meat there.

Chuck

RonH
Rustler

Postby RonH » Mon Jun 16, 2008 6:38 am

Those do look good nothing better than a pulled pork sandwich. Do you leave those thermometers in the meat for the entire cook?
nascarchuck USER_AVATAR
nascarchuck
Retired Lawman

Postby nascarchuck » Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:04 am

RonH wrote:Those do look good nothing better than a pulled pork sandwich. Do you leave those thermometers in the meat for the entire cook?

I have been... wonder now if I should... :shock:
Chuck

bowhnter USER_AVATAR
bowhnter
Chuck Wagon

Postby bowhnter » Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:12 am

nascarchuck wrote:
RonH wrote:Those do look good nothing better than a pulled pork sandwich. Do you leave those thermometers in the meat for the entire cook?

I have been... wonder now if I should... :shock:

I do too, shouldn't hurt a thing. 8)
Mike

Primo Oval XL
Grilla Silverbac
Weber 26”, 22”, and Jumbo Joe
Weber Genesis
Ooni Pro Pizza oven
Blackstone 22 and 36
pulled pork
Pilgrim

Re:

Postby pulled pork » Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:15 am

bigwheel wrote:For spectacular butts do like this. Cut the fat layer off the top and throw it away. Give it a mustard slather...then a heavy rub with whutever you use. Let it rest 10 mins...then give it a spritz of apple juice or cider and pack it down with a massive amount of fine to medium grind black peppa. Might take a pound of the stuff but just keep spanking it on there till it cant hold no mo and let it rest 10 mins. Then give it another spritz with the apple juice and pack on all the brown sugar it will hold just as with the peppa. Let it rest about 20 or 30 mins..or an hour..then cook it. That will give you a grand prize winner. bigwheel

I am going to try this one this weekend. Why do you cut the fat cap off though?
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Re: Butt

Postby Papa Tom » Wed Dec 30, 2009 2:10 pm

The fat cap would block the spice flavor from getting to the meat. let us know how it turns out....
tarde venientibus ossa....
pulled pork
Pilgrim

Postby pulled pork » Wed Dec 30, 2009 4:06 pm

Thanks Tom. I will cut the cap. I am doing it Saturday night for Sunday dinner. I will post my results.
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Wed Dec 30, 2009 4:27 pm

I never trim butts. Fat side down over the lump, acts as heat shield. I pull (vs slice) so the burn fat for the most part gets trashed. If somethings going to get crispy, I rather it be the fat cap instead of the meat.
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
TXCajun
Wrangler

Postby TXCajun » Wed May 26, 2010 9:28 am

I had always been told fat cap on top, so the meat self-bastes.

Doing a pork loin or roast this weekend. I like the mustard rub prior to the dry rub. I've done that before, but for me, a huge amount of rub and spice on the outside tends to get bitter as they char when the bark forms. Of course, that's just my taste buds. I have to be careful with putting too much spice on my meat given my family doesn't like it to overwhelm the meat. I lean toward the same camp.

Anyone else marinate their pork butts over night in Allegro or similar?

Just trying to poke around for some ideas. Last time, I did my pork butt Hawaiian style with a shoyu/teriyaki glaze and salt/pepper/garlic rub. Smoked it for a few hours, then wrapped it in foil to finish cooking. It was awesome, but I'm looking for something different this weekend.

Going to do ribs as well as grill burgers and dogs - my daughter's Birthday party.
roaniecowpony
Cowboy

Postby roaniecowpony » Fri May 28, 2010 12:32 pm

I read somewhere that someone did a test and fat cap down was more moist. I think it was in a book by Bill Anderson.
[i][b][color=#0000BF]Chuck[/color][/b][/i]
RecTec RT-700 Platinum Pkg
Bubba Keg grill/smoker
Capt-n-Cook 600" gasser grill
26" Weber Kettle
Bithlord
Pilgrim

Postby Bithlord » Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:59 am

roaniecowpony wrote:I read somewhere that someone did a test and fat cap down was more moist. I think it was in a book by Bill Anderson.

As a counterpoint to this -- Alton Brown (Good Eats) has recommended cooking with fatcap up for the self basting. I tend to think its most likely an experience thing. Figure out what works for you and your equipment, and go with that.

Return to “Pork Recipes”