Falling of the bone - Mesquite BBQ Ribs

Ribs, butts, chops, any pork recipes.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

txngent USER_AVATAR
txngent
Bandolero

Postby txngent » Fri Apr 18, 2008 7:52 pm

Stan41 wrote:I have never met a beef rib that I did like.
Stan41

Man Stan, I was on board with you for the most then you fell out of the pickup! :lol: I'll have to work on converting you over ya know. :twisted:

I've been to your town once when I was doing pipefitting work. We remodeled Dry Cleaners... don't think ya'll have more than one there... good people, family people. We ate at that there family restaurant across the road (don't remember the name), and had one heck of a good meal. We came off a job in Corpus to do that job, and get back to Corpus. After all that driving and work... it was one heck of a good middle travel meal.

If them Beef Ribs are done right, it is like eating a ribeye on a stick~ 8)
One Backwoods Fatboy, One Traeger Texas Grill, just looking for a trailer!
Randy
stan41 USER_AVATAR
Stan41
Bandolero

Postby Stan41 » Fri Apr 18, 2008 8:19 pm

You're right. We only have one dry cleaner. You must have ate at Peabody's in an old stone building. I worked at a wool & mohair business for some 25 years and we used that old building as a storage warehouse for wool and mohair. Then when we left they cleaned it up and made a German restaurant out of it. The German restaurant failed after 3 months and Peabody put in two or three years ago. Think he is doing well.
I guess I never have had beef ribs done right. Never have liked them.
All meat, including brisket really doesn't need anything other than S & P and smoked. Sometimes I use a brisket rub though.
Stan
honu41
Outlaw

Postby honu41 » Sat Apr 19, 2008 5:20 am

Sea salt plus some fresh ground black pepper on spares is enuff seasoning for me. Used to grill it very simply but now with my smoker I like it smoked more bettah. :)

I like beef ribs too but I hardly can find with some meat on them. Ones I see looks as if someone already gnawed on them. :?

a hui hou,
honu41
brandon schick USER_AVATAR
Brandon Schick
Rustler

Postby Brandon Schick » Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:30 pm

First, let me say that it's pretty hard to ruin pork ribs. You have to really work at it to make them bad.

Uh unfortunatelly I have done it.. :big:
nascarchuck USER_AVATAR
nascarchuck
Retired Lawman

Postby nascarchuck » Wed Oct 22, 2008 7:59 am

Welcome Red!!!

I agree with TxGent and Stan. When I smoke ribs, I do a light mustard slather, Hoochie Mama or Hog Waller then throw em on the smoker using either apple, pecan or hickory.

I eat em dry! No need for sauce!

When I smoked some brisket and ribs to take to the inlaws, my wife wanted me to slice the brisket at home and dump some KC Masterpiece all over it. I said "NO WAY!!! If people want sauce, they can sauce em themselves!"

The last brisket I did about a week ago, none of us used any sauce at all and thats extremely rare for my wife.
Chuck

http://cookinwithchuck.blogspot.com - Updated 01/10/10

datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Wed Oct 22, 2008 9:07 am

nascarchuck wrote:Welcome Red!!!

I agree with TxGent and Stan. When I smoke ribs, I do a light mustard slather, Hoochie Mama or Hog Waller then throw em on the smoker using either apple, pecan or hickory.

I eat em dry! No need for sauce!
When I smoked some brisket and ribs to take to the inlaws, my wife wanted me to slice the brisket at home and dump some KC Masterpiece all over it. I said "NO WAY!!! If people want sauce, they can sauce em themselves!"

The last brisket I did about a week ago, none of us used any sauce at all and thats extremely rare for my wife.

You are close to achieving nervona, or something like that. You'd be hard pressed to find and bbq sauce in my house. And I like it like that!
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
mgwerks USER_AVATAR
mgwerks
Bandolero

Postby mgwerks » Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:00 am

Now wait a second, folks. Sauce ain't all that bad - I serve a table sauce with my brisket. But BBQ sauce? No way!

The secret to getting good meaty beef ribs is to get a butcher to cut them for you, and tell him what you want. They usually have so little meat because they cut the loin off of there and that's some high dollar feed, they don't want to leave any behind. Go out and get some meaty ribs!

To be honest, I never understood the mustard on Q thing. My mind will not put those two things together. I mostly do spares like most of you all, but I have an extra step. When I pull the racks out of the packer cryo, I rinse them really well and theb blot them dry. I then apply a wash of Lea & Perrin's Worcestershire sauce on all exposed meat, and then go with sea salt and fresh ground pepper. The L&P leave just enough to hold the spices on, and add a little something extra to the smoke.
Visit my Cooking Blog.

The Armada:
22.5" WSM
MES 30" shorty
42"x24" & 36"x16" stick burners
1966 CharBroil charcoal grill
Weber 18 1/2" Silver
Sam's 32-inch Stainless gas grill (it was free!)
ruger686 USER_AVATAR
ruger686
Rustler

Postby ruger686 » Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:05 am

I've heard of puttin worcestershire sauce on them first, but never tried it.
-Bob

"Y'all can go to heck. I'm going to Texas." -Davy Crockett
FUNNY BONE
Pilgrim

Postby FUNNY BONE » Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:53 pm

Hi BBQ friends does anyone ever smoke pork ribs with cherry wood ?
jamesb USER_AVATAR
JamesB
Retired Lawman

Postby JamesB » Sat Feb 21, 2009 12:20 am

FUNNY BONE wrote:Hi BBQ friends does anyone ever smoke pork ribs with cherry wood ?

Why yes, lot of folks do... I ain't got access to cherry wood, but I hear a lot of good reports from those who do.

Welcome to the forum. Why don't ya head on over to the Wanted Posters section and tell us a bit about yerself.
BAR "G" BBQ
Outlaw

Postby BAR "G" BBQ » Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:42 pm

Welcome Red and don't feel bad; you didn't get throwed plum under the bus. You just kind of sort of suggested that forbidden four letter word (OVEN):shock: :shock: . I did see an episode on Emril one time where he wrapped the ribs in plastic wrap then foil and placed on the smoker about 1 to 2 hours then unwrapped and smoked an additional hour. A fellow I know real close who's name shall remain anonamous tried that method and they just as well has been cooked in the oven.
BAR "G"

Return to “Pork Recipes”