Left over PP? Try this for a change.

Ribs, butts, chops, any pork recipes.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Left over PP? Try this for a change.

Postby DATsBBQ » Wed Sep 26, 2007 8:42 pm

A variation on a German staple. Loosely based on memories of Granny back when Blue was just a pup. Granny used left over pork roast (chunked) but the idea is the same.

You can scale this one pretty easy.

1/2 onion, chopped.
1/2 head green cabbage, shredded or chopped.
Butter or Lard
chicken stock
wine (I used Zin, but a Rhine would be preferred)
Tablespoon or two of Cider Vinegar
sweetener of choice (I used splenda)
1/2 pound Pull Pork
fennel seeds, salt, pepper

Melt the lipid of your choice and sauté onions till translucent. Add cabbage and toss till coated with fat. Cook a few minutes more till the cabbage starts to wilt.

Add enough stock almost cover veggies then some wine. I used about 3/4 cup.

Add vinegar, enough sweetener to balance, fennel seeds, a tsp of salt and pepper to taste. The idea is to create a background of sweet/sour. Not intended to be highly pronounced.

Bring to near boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 45 minutes.

Remove cover, add Pulled Pork. Add more stock if needed. Stir, cover and simmer for another 30 minutes or until cabbage is soft and pork is warmed through.

Makes enough for 2 decent size servings.

PS: Granny would add a thickener just before serving or make dumplings but I passed on that due to the carb restrictions I'm observing.

PSS: Sometimes a cored sliced apple would find it's way into the pot.
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Wed Sep 26, 2007 10:20 pm

Ahhh memories, Thanks Dats and I'll match you.

Don't know what this is called other than Kraut and Pork.
Those adventurous enough to try this will undoubtedly be surprised as this takes on a character of it's own not exactly what you'd expect.

Ingredients

Sauerkraut
Left over pork be it PP or grilled pork chops cut into bite sized chunks.
Celery sliced
Rhine wine.
caraway seed (optional)
Apple (optional)

Like many family recipes there is no written recipe and so no specific quantities but I'll suggest some.
Empty two small cans or one large can of kraut into a colander and rinse lightly and let drain then dump in kettle.
Slice three stalks of celery about 3/8 inch thick and add.
Add about 3/4 cup of Rhine wine
Sprinkle lightly with caraway seed (optional)
Add the pork and stir to mix in maybe 11/2 -2 cups or whatever you have.
Cook until the celery is tender then if desired add sliced or diced apple and allow the apple to just heat (or it becomes unappetizingly mushy).
Serve hot.
tarde venientibus ossa....
osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

Postby OSD » Thu Sep 27, 2007 6:05 am

This brings back memories. :D :D
Grandma used to put some Sauerkraut in a pot, then some pork chops or chunks, then more sauerkraut. Layered it like that, then covered it with the juice and white wine. then on top she put dressing balls. :D Haven't had that in many years. :D :D
Jim
tx sandman USER_AVATAR
TX Sandman
Outlaw

Postby TX Sandman » Thu Sep 27, 2007 7:41 am

I've got one for ya, similar to this, but much simpler in ingredients.

Every year for Christmas, the outlaws get a ham, both for eatin' as is and for the leftovers. One of the dishes they make is flieschke (pronounced FLEESH-key.)

half a head of cabbage
1 pound ham
1 stick butter
salt and pepper to taste

1. First, coarse-grind the ham with a grinder.
2. Next, core and slice the cabbage. Usually we do a coarse chop, but it doesn't matter much, long as it's bite-sized pieces.
3. In a pot large enough to hold everything, plus ensure room to stir, melt the butter. Usually we also add S&P to the butter.
3a. We usually steam cabbage in the microwave first to pre-cook it and speed the cookin'. You could add the raw cabbage to the pot, but it will take *forever* to cook.
4. Add the ham and cabbage to the pot and stir. Keep stirring at a medium heat to distribute the butter and let the flavors meld a bit. Check for seasoning and add S&P to taste. Since there's no liquid in this recipe, you need to stir very frequently.

This is better the second day, when the flavors have really got together. Yeah, it's simple, but we like it. You could add some chicken broth or other spices, but the FIL likes it this way, so that;s the way it's cooked. When I eat it, I add some hot sauce or cayenne. Wonder how PP would taste?
Rob - TX Sandman
Midnight Blue Smokers BBQ Team

"...grilling is fun and tasty, but it isn't brain surgery and the patient won't die if you mess up."
Steven Raichlen
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Thu Sep 27, 2007 9:57 am

Must be Oktoberfest!!!!
tarde venientibus ossa....

Return to “Pork Recipes”