how to wet rib(s)?

Ribs, butts, chops, any pork recipes.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

cjate USER_AVATAR
CJATE
Cowboy

how to wet rib(s)?

Postby CJATE » Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:51 am

i like'em dry; always have. Sauce on the table, but I want to taste the meat and the rub,,, and don't want to need a bath after I'm done eating... and if cooked correctly,,, i don't have to many issues with dry ribs at comps, so I've spent years working on time/temp and rub,,, ignoring the mop.

having said that, friend has requested a few racks of wet ribs for his b-day party. I agreed, as I thought i knew how,,, but i was disappointed in my test run. I mixed up the following glaze
1C bbq sauce
1/2 cup apple juice
1/2 cup brown sugar
edit: 1/2 C honey,,, (i knew i had 4 things, could not remember)

I boiled that down, went with the 3-1-2 cooking time.
rubbed them down (dry), foil and sauce at the 3 hr mark, 1 hr latter unwrapped, more sauce for the reaming 2hrs... then a bit of sauce as I pulled them off to rest. on one rack i hit it with a bit of Cheyenne right before the first sauce,,, and it was better than the one w/o out. Sauce was too thick, I'd use less bbq sauce more juice next time...

I don't know if it did this wrong or if it was not my thing, or I'm overly picky, but i was disappointed. they were not bad,,, but they were not perfect. it was more of a flavor issue then a quality issue. I don't normally wrap my ribs, but I did not want the sauce to burn, but the meat seemed ok, just did not like the taste.

I've tried to search this,,, but there is just to much info, and too many hits on 'wet' ond or 'rib' or any combo thereof. i can only have one more test run before i must deliver.

there is no sugar in my rub.

any, suggestions?
Last edited by CJATE on Tue Oct 05, 2010 4:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
if your look'n... you aint cook'n

http://www.meatinthemiddle.com
mythmaster
Pilgrim

Re: how to wet rib(s)?

Postby mythmaster » Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:12 am

I like mine dry, too, but I can tell you that the sugar in the sauce won't burn at temps of 250 and below.
3 star redneck USER_AVATAR
3 star redneck
Chuck Wagon

Postby 3 star redneck » Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:16 am

1 cup sauce 1/3 cup honey heat and glaze... :lol:
R&O Custom Offset....It rocks!!!!
http://www.redneckcooker.com

Hook Em' Horns
egghead USER_AVATAR
egghead
Egg Master

Postby egghead » Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:55 am

I like them both ways - sometimes dry and sometimes wet

No foil zone here - I don't foil ribs for wet or dry

After 3 hours in the smoke I spray with 50/50 apple juice/apple cider vinegar every 30 minutes - just enough to wet (I do this for wet or dry ribs)

If I'm going wet, I sauce with 2/3 sauce, 1/3 honey after the ribs are done - Sweet Baby Rays or Blues Hog for sauce

Sauce goes on heavy after ribs are done and they stay on the pit for another 20-30 minutes
Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of congress; but I repeat myself - Mark Twain
XL, Small, and Mini BGE
cjate USER_AVATAR
CJATE
Cowboy

Postby CJATE » Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:40 pm

mythmaster wrote:I like mine dry, too, but I can tell you that the sugar in the sauce won't burn at temps of 250 and below.

more concerned with the tomato burning...

so you don't cook for a long time with the glaze, just a bit at the end? perhaps that was my issue,,, seem like my glaze was about right, perhaps it just not for me.
if your look'n... you aint cook'n

http://www.meatinthemiddle.com
BAR "G" BBQ
Outlaw

Postby BAR "G" BBQ » Tue Oct 05, 2010 3:33 pm

CJATE wrote:
mythmaster wrote:I like mine dry, too, but I can tell you that the sugar in the sauce won't burn at temps of 250 and below.

more concerned with the tomato burning...

so you don't cook for a long time with the glaze, just a bit at the end? perhaps that was my issue,,, seem like my glaze was about right, perhaps it just not for me.

If your friend is referring to wet as advertized by most Q-Joints that advertize wet or dry the majority mop a thin sauce on right off the pit and serve.
BAR "G"

Return to “Pork Recipes”