riblets -- cutting ribs down (cut the bone)

Ribs, butts, chops, any pork recipes.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

cjate USER_AVATAR
CJATE
Cowboy

riblets -- cutting ribs down (cut the bone)

Postby CJATE » Mon May 03, 2010 9:07 am

I'veseen where some of you have talked about that, but I can't find the thread, or remember what you called them. I've always called them riblits, but never know how to cut the bone.

long story short, I cooked in a non-sectioned event this weekend, and I ended up cutting my rib's down to 2" bites so they would all fit (due to a rule change at the cooks meeting). I did this after they were done and did not have too much trouble cutting w/ good scissors.

but it got me thinking, I'd really like to do this with them raw, get rub all over them, and cook them up in strips of 2" bone. how do you guys cut them? I assume my scissors will struggle before they are cooked.

anyone asked the butcher to run them through the band saw?
about how long you cook them once they are 2" not 7"? I'm sure that will shorten the cook time.
if your look'n... you aint cook'n

http://www.meatinthemiddle.com
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Re: riblets -- cutting ribs down (cut the bone)

Postby DATsBBQ » Mon May 03, 2010 8:17 pm

If you have a full spare and cut it down to St. Louis Style, the top portion are rib tips, no hard bones to speak of but may smaller pieces of cartilage.

If you cut ribs (like beef flat ribs) across the bones into 2 to 3 inch pieces those are called flanken style. I think of them more as Asian style ribs.
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
limey USER_AVATAR
limey
Deputy

Postby limey » Mon May 03, 2010 10:12 pm

We have cut St.Louis style in half with a meat saw. Gotta wipe em down afterwards cause of small fragments.
We cooked a bunch for a big party as appetisers.
How bout some more beans Mr.Taggert? I'd say you've had enough!
R & O Custom Trailer
Weber 22.5 Gold
Weber 22.5 Smoky Mountain
Oklahoma Joe Longhorn Edition
Limey BBQ Co. Competition Team
cjate USER_AVATAR
CJATE
Cowboy

Postby CJATE » Tue May 11, 2010 8:57 pm

well boys, butcher at HEB called "split ribs". He ran a rack of ribs through the band saw,,, cutting them into 3rds. no charge.

so $11 got me 3 racks or ribs 3" in length (ish) pic to follow when I cook them Thursday.

i'll rub them down, smoke for a few hrs then grill... slice into individuals and call them appetizers... (well snacks at a poker game)
if your look'n... you aint cook'n

http://www.meatinthemiddle.com

Return to “Pork Recipes”