Beef Head Spanish Style

Brisket, steaks, roasts, ground beef or any beef recipes.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

stan41 USER_AVATAR
Stan41
Bandolero

Beef Head Spanish Style

Postby Stan41 » Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:01 pm

Here's an interesting recipe by the late Richard Bolt who was long time chuckwagon cook for the 6666 Ranch. It is from his little booklet titled "Forty Years Behind The Lid".
I'm too lazy to try it, but I'll bet it is delicious.

Beef Head Barbecued Spanish Style

1 dressed beef head. Remove eyes (makes you feel better) and the tongue so the cow can't bawl at you. Wash the head and tongue very thoroughly. Place tongue back inside the head. Salt and pepper both the tongue and head, rubbing in well. Sprinkle with barbecue spice and rub this into meat well. Wrap WELL in foil and place in cloth bag. Dig a hole in the ground about 2 feet square and 3 feet deep. Fill hole with mesquite or oak wood and let burn down to a bed of live coals. Cover these coals with about 1 inch of dry dirt. Place beef head on top of dirt and then cover with about 2 inches of dry dirt. Build another fire of same wood on top of the dirt. Let his burn down to a bed of live coals. Then finish filling hole with dry dirt, packing the top dirt. Leave 12 hours and then remove the head and brown in oven or on a grill over coals if desired.
This meat is very tender and delicious. Cowboys will gather round like buzzards 'round a carcass.

Stan
bigwheel
Outlaw

Postby bigwheel » Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:39 pm

The guest workers around heah call that barbacoa la cabeza or something similar...when it get to the tongue that be made into tacos de lingua. Looks like to me there ought to be some way to cook that stuff without blocking off all the good flavor with tinfoil. Whut happen to muslin and wet burlap bags etc? Now I dont eat that kinda nasty cow head stuff..just give me some good old ham and eggs.

bigwheel
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Sun Jan 27, 2008 10:54 pm

OK I always wanted to be the head cook................. :idea:
tarde venientibus ossa....

Return to “Beef Recipes”