Cuban Style Beef Stew

Brisket, steaks, roasts, ground beef or any beef recipes.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

Allie

Cuban Style Beef Stew

Postby Allie » Sun Dec 09, 2007 1:23 pm

Here's what I cooked for dinner last night. I kind of changed the recipe to use it in my crock pot by browning the meat in a skillet, then cooking the peppers afterwards. I mixed it all together and poured it in the crockpot to cook. It was nice to come home to a warm dinner after shopping and being out in the cold! Ash made up some corn muffins to go with it.

Cuban-Style Beef Stew

serves: 4

working time: 15 minutes

total time: 20 minutes

2 tbsp. flour

1/4 tsp. salt

1/4 tsp freshly ground pepper

1/2 lb. lean bottom round of beef, cut into 1 inch chunks

2 tsp. olive oil

1 red bell pepper, cut into 1/2 inch dice

1 1/2 cups mild or medium-hot prepared low sodium salsa

16 oz can of black beans, drained

4 oz. can chopped mild green chilis

1/2 tsp dried oregano

(Optional, but we like it... about a cup of frozen corn)

In a ziploc baggie, combine flour, salt, and pepper. Dredge beef cubes in flour mixture, shake off excess. In nonstick Dutch oven, heat oil until hot but not smoking over medium heat. Add the beef and cook, stirring frequently, until browned, about 5 mins. With a slotted spoon, transfer beef to a plate and set aside. Discard remaining flour mixture.

Add the bell pepper to the pan and cook stirring frequently, until the pepper is softened, about 4 mins. Stir in the salsa, bean, chilis, oregano (and corn if using) Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, cover, and cook until the flavours have blended, about 5 mins.

Return the beef to the pan and cook uncovered until the beef is just cooked through, about 5 mins longer. Ladle the stew into bowls and serve.

Suggested accompaniments: Romain and shredded carrot salad with red wine vinegrette. For dessert, broiled sliced papaya sprinkled with brown sugar and vanilla.

Fat 6 g., cals 229, saturated fat 1.4 g, carbs 24 g, protein 19 g, cholesterol 33 mg, sodium 548

I have had this recipe for months and have no clue where I originally found it!
Last edited by Allie on Sun Dec 09, 2007 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jamesb USER_AVATAR
JamesB
Retired Lawman

Postby JamesB » Sun Dec 09, 2007 2:53 pm

Thanks! Got it copied to my things to try if it ever gets cold here folder!

James.
bigwheel
Outlaw

Postby bigwheel » Sun Dec 09, 2007 5:06 pm

Sure sounds mighty tasty to me too. Thanks for sharing.

bigwheel
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Sun Dec 09, 2007 8:10 pm

Sounds great to me but I'm sure the spouse would never go for it.......... :?
tarde venientibus ossa....
bigwheel
Outlaw

Postby bigwheel » Sun Dec 09, 2007 9:22 pm

Rut row..them black beans must get Papa sorta gassed up. That happen to senor citizens sometimes. Now I eat that and never bat an eys. Course I follow it with Papaya and digestive enzymes full of hydrocloric acid. Ya know they try to trick folks into thinking they got too much acid when the fact is they aint got enough. They peddle a lot of antacids like that. I done got wise to em. I can eat a walrus..guts..feathers and all and it dont bother me none. Just need a little acid to digest stuff like that. Most old folks die of starvation cuz they cant digest their food. I learnt this on the radio.

bigwheel
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Sun Dec 09, 2007 9:29 pm

Naw actually it couldn't have the beans at all I have an allergy to them and get sick if I eat some. For her it's the peppers she don't like bell peppers or chiles at all. When I make chili I make his and hers, hers has beans and no chiles, mine is the opposite.
tarde venientibus ossa....
gator USER_AVATAR
Gator
Sheriff

Postby Gator » Sun Dec 09, 2007 10:26 pm

bigwheel wrote:Rut row..them black beans must get Papa sorta gassed up. That happen to senor citizens sometimes. Now I eat that and never bat an eys. Course I follow it with Papaya and digestive enzymes full of hydrocloric acid. Ya know they try to trick folks into thinking they got too much acid when the fact is they aint got enough. They peddle a lot of antacids like that. I done got wise to em. I can eat a walrus..guts..feathers and all and it dont bother me none. Just need a little acid to digest stuff like that. Most old folks die of starvation cuz they cant digest their food. I learnt this on the radio.

bigwheel

:shock: - As in the stuff that I put into my pool? That stuff smokes when I open the bottle. Yikes.
Gator

"I won't tolerate rude behavior" - Woodrow F Call
copkid USER_AVATAR
copkid
Chuck Wagon

Postby copkid » Sun Dec 09, 2007 10:42 pm

bigwheel wrote:Rut row..them black beans must get Papa sorta gassed up. That happen to senor citizens sometimes. Now I eat that and never bat an eys. Course I follow it with Papaya and digestive enzymes full of hydrocloric acid. Ya know they try to trick folks into thinking they got too much acid when the fact is they aint got enough. They peddle a lot of antacids like that. I done got wise to em. I can eat a walrus..guts..feathers and all and it dont bother me none. Just need a little acid to digest stuff like that. Most old folks die of starvation cuz they cant digest their food. I learnt this on the radio.

bigwheel

I think BW went to college, knowing all these big words and all! My mind gets so tired just trying to follow along!! :ddumb: He sure is alot smarter than he wants everyone to believe!! :deer:
Laura

In Valor, There is Hope
-Tacitus

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulders, and your hand over my mouth!
bigwheel
Outlaw

Postby bigwheel » Mon Dec 10, 2007 10:30 am

Yeppers same stuff. Here is a purty good short read on it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gastric_acid

bigwheel

Gator wrote:

bigwheel

:shock: - As in the stuff that I put into my pool? That stuff smokes when I open the bottle. Yikes.
steercrazy USER_AVATAR
SteerCrazy
Retired Lawman

Postby SteerCrazy » Mon Dec 10, 2007 10:33 am

sounds great Allie, nothin like some good comfort food during these cold days :wink:
copkid USER_AVATAR
copkid
Chuck Wagon

Postby copkid » Mon Dec 10, 2007 12:48 pm

Sounds great Allie! Now, we just need to get you a camera........ :lol:
Laura
Laura

In Valor, There is Hope

-Tacitus

Allie

Postby Allie » Mon Dec 10, 2007 1:35 pm

I have a camera.....not like yours which is the one I want. lol Getting home at 8 pm, I wasn't wasting time taking pics of the finished product and there were no leftovers. lol
copkid USER_AVATAR
copkid
Chuck Wagon

Postby copkid » Mon Dec 10, 2007 1:41 pm

Allie wrote:I have a camera.....not like yours which is the one I want. lol Getting home at 8 pm, I wasn't wasting time taking pics of the finished product and there were no leftovers. lol

Yeh, well keep in mind, it's not MY camera, just my hubby's office camera. A big company like that buys so much stuff, and I just have to turn it in during audit times!
You just don't want your family thinking you are strange taking pics of food!! :P Trust me, they will get used to it!
Laura
Laura

In Valor, There is Hope

-Tacitus

Allie

Postby Allie » Mon Dec 10, 2007 6:10 pm

Ah ha! I thought it was your camera. Les works for his brother who mentioned that he needs a new camera for work. I tried to convince him to buy a Nikon D40 or even a D80 and then trade me for my Nikon Coolpix 260 since he wouldn't know how to begin using a dSLR. That went over like a lead balloon! lol

As for the family, they're accustomed to me taking a camera with me when I go places and stopping by the road to take pics. The kids and I went to the park on the nature trails this fall and I took over 160 pics in about 5 hours. lol I am much more into scenes outdoors especially with old barns and other buildings. I have a hard time taking decent shots of foods, still life shots, or pics of people. I just don't seem to have the eye for that type of photography.
honu41
Outlaw

Postby honu41 » Wed Jan 09, 2008 5:07 pm

Aloha Allie,

I am still learning how to navigate through this forum and just found this thread. Recipe looks good and I bet it taste good too. Last night I told the wife I was going to make a large pot of stew for dinner. By the time I found this recipe, the stew is a simmerin' and in an hour or so it be ready for the veggies. But for my next stew I will try your recipe...

Mahalo nui. (Thank you very much)

Take care a hui hou,
honu41

Return to “Beef Recipes”