Time to take the plunge

Brisket, steaks, roasts, ground beef or any beef recipes.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

bondobill
Outlaw

Time to take the plunge

Postby bondobill » Fri Aug 05, 2016 10:20 am

Ok folks. I'm tired of researching and looking at awesome photos of smoked brisket.
Going try my hand at smoking a packer this weekend . Never done one before. :dont:
Picked up a 14 lb prime packer from Costco. Plan on smoking it on my pellet.
I did a 6lb flat here a couple months ago. I rubbed it with 50/50 ksalt and black pepper the night before and before putting in smoker injected with Bludawgs bovine necter. The flat came out very moist and tender and had great flavor except......I think I applied to much rub. The bark was rather salty. I was ok with it but I'm a salt junky. My wife ended up cutting off the bark on her slices.
It was just the bark that was too salty.
I don't want to have this issue on this weekends smoke. Is it possible too apply too much rub ?
On the flat I put on the rub till it wouldn't hold anymore. :dont:

Bill
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Re: Time to take the plunge

Postby OldUsedParts » Fri Aug 05, 2016 10:36 am

I've been threatened by The Brisket Mafia never to try another Brisket but if I do it will be by the Recipe that I sent to your PMs.
Good Luck with the Packer,
:tup:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
bondobill
Outlaw

Postby bondobill » Fri Aug 05, 2016 10:49 am

OUP Got it Thanks my friend :D
I see now where I screwed up :lol:

I got a backup plan if I screw this packer up. Gots lot of left over pulled pork from Tuesday's smoke :mrgreen:

Thanks bud
Bill
captjack USER_AVATAR
CaptJack
Outlaw

Postby CaptJack » Fri Aug 05, 2016 11:18 am

by putting the rub on the night before
you dry brined the meat
that doesn't work with beef
you can add the rub the night before if you leave out the salt & pepper
don't add the S&P until just before you put it on
22"OldSmokey • 2-burner gasser with GrillGrates
boots USER_AVATAR
Boots
Wordsmith

Postby Boots » Fri Aug 05, 2016 3:04 pm

It is possible to over rub, IMHO. Did some comp ribs a while back that ended up tasting like a Morton Salt mine. Have since backed off. Never had a problem rubbing up beef the night before a cook, just didn't cake it on.
BE WELL, BUT NOT DONE
Hank: "Do you know how to jumpstart a man's heart with a downed power line?"
Bobby: "No."
Hank: "Well, there's really no wrong way to do it."
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Fri Aug 05, 2016 5:16 pm

Sorry gentlemen but I have to disagree a bit here! It is more likely possible to over-salt than over-rub. A generous application of rub is recommended for any 'que but be mindful of your salt content. Especially if you're using Kosher salt (or any other course salt for that matter). When I use kosher salt, I cut what it calls for by half (if it hasn't been adjusted for kosher in the recipe). :cheers:
(Insert witty signature here)
bondobill
Outlaw

Postby bondobill » Sat Aug 06, 2016 5:12 pm

Well guys I adjusted the salt content.
After a few panic moments at 5:30 this morn I got the hunk on the pellet at 6:15 this morn.
Smokers been purring along at 250 all day.

Added some baby backs to the mix about 6 1/2 hours later. Bought then I wrapped the brisket in butcher paper IT was 165. Ain't the nicest bark.

image.jpeg

9 hours in and at 195. Some of the flat probes really nice..some not so much yet

Bill
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sat Aug 06, 2016 5:23 pm

I putting my money on GOOD GRUB at the Finish Line :tup: :salut: :cheers:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Mon Aug 08, 2016 5:47 pm

How'd it all turn out?! You can't leave us hanging like that!!! :shock:
bondobill
Outlaw

Postby bondobill » Mon Aug 08, 2016 9:30 pm

Well at this point I would have to say I be oh for 2 on brisket :dont:
Although it had ok flavor....I cut way back on salt after my first go round with a flat....its was tender but...was dry. When I cut it after resting there was no juice.
I probably over cooked it. When IT got to 195 in the thickest part of the flat just below the point I probed it and yes it felt like a hot knife through butter.!It went in so easy I figured I must have probed through a fat deposit. Then I probed out towards the end of the flat and it still had some resistance. Kept checking every 5 degrees. The thin end of the flat never did probe easy. I finally took it off at 208 IT in thickest part of flat...let it vent un wrapped for about 20 minutes, wrapped back up in foil and set in a cooler and sliced up a couple hours later.

Bill
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Tue Aug 09, 2016 3:36 pm

If you've only "botched" 2 briskets, don't lose hope! It takes some patience and practice. I destroyed 6 briskets (on the smoker) before I nailed my first homerun. Now, it's no problem at all. You'll get it!
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Tue Aug 09, 2016 6:23 pm

Agree w/ dragon. At two you are well within the normal learning curve.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Twitter handle @bsooner75
bondobill
Outlaw

Postby bondobill » Wed Aug 10, 2016 8:22 am

Thanks for the encouragement guys

I ain't ready to call it quits yet. Wife says I'm too darn fussy. Her and our quests said it was good but in MHO it was far from over the top.
I sliced up the point and served that off to the sides of the sliced flat. Got to say the pieces of the point where gone in a hurry. The point was much better then the flat slices.
When you'll probe for tenderness do you probe just in the thickest part of the flat ?

Thanks
Bill
finatic USER_AVATAR
Finatic
Bandolero

Postby Finatic » Wed Aug 10, 2016 1:41 pm

bondobill wrote:Thanks for the encouragement guys

I ain't ready to call it quits yet. Wife says I'm too darn fussy. Her and our quests said it was good but in MHO it was far from over the top.
I sliced up the point and served that off to the sides of the sliced flat. Got to say the pieces of the point where gone in a hurry. The point was much better then the flat slices.
When you'll probe for tenderness do you probe just in the thickest part of the flat ?

Thanks
Bill

Yes probe the flat. I rarely probe the point. When the flat is done your point will be too.
pony express USER_AVATAR
Pony Express
Outlaw

Postby Pony Express » Sun Aug 14, 2016 8:25 am

my guess would be that you didn't finish cooking it. Dry but fairly tender usually indicated not done yet, I cooked over 4 years competition before i finally figured it out that I hadn't really completely finished cooking any of my briskets. The probing with the thermo just doesn't work for me. I have to poke with my finger and i'm looking for the jello giggle. its not unusual for my briskets to be at 210 - 211 when I pull them. Almost fall apart tender and moist. Its counter intuitive but once you get it, brisket gets much easier and consistent. IMHO

I didnt figure it out all by myself either. The light bulb started lighting up after reading a post on here that said something like, " you cannot cook a brisket to doneness by simply time and tempature. . Bludawg maybe?
Charmglo gasser,
New Braunfels offset smoker
Custom trailer pit offset smoker

Git-er done
GIG EM

Return to “Beef Recipes”