Need Brisket help ASAP please

Brisket, steaks, roasts, ground beef or any beef recipes.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

RonnieT
Pilgrim

Need Brisket help ASAP please

Postby RonnieT » Sun Dec 27, 2015 4:02 pm

Hello everyone,
I've been reading and learning on here for a while but 1st post.

I'm in the middle of smoking my 3rd brisket ever. I've gotten the hang of most things I've made but brisket has eluded me thus far. I'm using a method a good friend uses and had local success with. 275 for 2-3 hours, wrap for 2-3 hours then place in cooler. So I'm almost 3 hours in and have an internal temp if 105. Is this too early for a foul wrap? I thought the internal should be closer to 140-160 before I took the next step. Any help is appreciated.

I'm cook on a an offset Lyfe Tyme with smoker.
Tinye11
Pilgrim

Re: Need Brisket help ASAP please

Postby Tinye11 » Sun Dec 27, 2015 5:15 pm

105? Sounds like your fire is not 275. Check your pit temp. Wrap the brisket at 170 and finish it in the oven. Good luck.
RonnieT
Pilgrim

Postby RonnieT » Sun Dec 27, 2015 5:37 pm

What temp do I set the oven?

I have a dial thermometer that's usually on the mark. I'm using a meat prob from my igrill2 that's giving me a reading of 297. And an igrill mini giving me 284. (I got both for Christmas and will have to order ambient probe). I made a makeshift wood stand that slips down over the rubber handle part and points the probe up to avoid contact with the grate.

My post did not immediately show so I waited about 1/2 then wrapped. It's up to 148 now
limey USER_AVATAR
limey
Deputy

Postby limey » Sun Dec 27, 2015 7:04 pm

Big Welcome RonnieT, I usually wrap in foil when the brisket hits around 165 to 170.You will see the brisket have a stall period after wrapping but it will eventually hit the 200 to 210 internal mark. When you can pierce the meat with the probe and it feels like it is slicing through hot butter your brisket is done. I usually cook at 275 and others cook at 300 and higher so you are doing ok on the pit temp. Good luck.
How bout some more beans Mr.Taggert? I'd say you've had enough!
R & O Custom Trailer
Weber 22.5 Gold
Weber 22.5 Smoky Mountain
Oklahoma Joe Longhorn Edition
Limey BBQ Co. Competition Team
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Sun Dec 27, 2015 7:10 pm

What type of pit are you cooking on? I have a Primo (Ceramic) and cook at 245°F until the briskie passes the poke test (199°F -205°F internal temp). No foil, no butcher paper, no oven bags. Always turns out great.
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
RonnieT
Pilgrim

Postby RonnieT » Sun Dec 27, 2015 7:16 pm

DATsBBQ wrote:What type of pit are you cooking on? I have a Primo (Ceramic) and cook at 245°F until the briskie passes the poke test (199°F -205°F internal temp). No foil, no butcher paper, no oven bags. Always turns out great.

Cooking on a sticker burner offset smoker.
RonnieT
Pilgrim

Postby RonnieT » Sun Dec 27, 2015 9:34 pm

Well it didn't work out. Got the IT to 203. Pulled it and let it sit. Plenty juicy but still a little tough. Had a ring but not very impressive. All that I could have lived with but it had no flavor. Actually, more like bad flavor. I ate a slice, bathed in sauce and walked away.

Back to the drawing board.
BigDave
Bandolero

Postby BigDave » Sun Dec 27, 2015 10:20 pm

Describe "bad flavor"? Bitter, too much smoke, bland, etc. Need more info to offer suggestions.

Never stop cookin a brisket by temp. They are done when they are done. Some done at 195 IT and other need 215 IT to become tender. I actually had one at 215 IT that was still tough as a boot. Figure that was a 15 year ole bull or sumpin! :roll:
RonnieT
Pilgrim

Postby RonnieT » Sun Dec 27, 2015 10:29 pm

I would call it very very bland. There was nothing coming through but maybe some smoky flavor. I used Hoochie Momma rub that I applied yesterday. I judged it by using probe thermometer checking temp and ease of probe to slide into the meat. Even though it slid in really easy I still found spots that were kinda tough.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Mon Dec 28, 2015 8:13 am

RT, I have been there myself and consequently I stay away from Briskets - - could be my age and impatience also - - - good luck with your next Q - - - :salut:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
swamp donkeyz bbq USER_AVATAR
Swamp Donkeyz BBQ
Outlaw

Postby Swamp Donkeyz BBQ » Mon Dec 28, 2015 10:24 am

You can't always rely on internal temp. Use the probe method to go along with temp. When it probes tender, you're done. As far as being bland, don't be afraid to put a good heavy coat of rub on brisket. It's a big cut of meat, and can handle it. I tend to wrap according to color, rather than internal temp. When I have nice looking color on it, I'll go ahead and wrap.
Tinye11
Pilgrim

Postby Tinye11 » Mon Dec 28, 2015 10:53 am

Be careful when you wrap. If there is too much liquid in the foul, it will wash your rub off especially if it was not set when you wrapped it. That will make it bland.
RonnieT
Pilgrim

Postby RonnieT » Mon Dec 28, 2015 11:01 am

Tinye11 wrote:Be careful when you wrap. If there is too much liquid in the foul, it will wash your rub off especially if it was not set when you wrapped it. That will make it bland.

I think there's a good chance it had too much liquid and washed out. I had a ton of juice on the bottom when I opened it up. Guess that's where all my flavor ended up.

Return to “Beef Recipes”