Korean BBQ - Bulgogi

Brisket, steaks, roasts, ground beef or any beef recipes.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

grillmaster1 USER_AVATAR
GrillMaster1
Pilgrim

Korean BBQ - Bulgogi

Postby GrillMaster1 » Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:13 pm

Step out of the traditional BBQ comfort zone and try out a little Asian flair with this staple of Korean BBQ. Korean BBQ is a hot trend right now , especially out on the west coast.

Prep time: 1 beer or about 30 minutes

Cook time: a few sips – this cooks QUICKLY!

You need:

* 1 lb. Ribeye or Top Sirloin - Have your butcher trim off all outside fat and slice it 1/8 – 1/4 inch thick. Leave the cuts large as possible (talking width not thickness) so they don’t try to fall through the grate while cooking.
* 1/4 soy sauce
* 1 1/2 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
* 2 cloves of minced garlic
* 1/2 teaspoon fresh ginger, finely grated
* 1 teaspoon toasted sesame seeds
* 1 kiwi fruit finely chopped
* 1/2 of a medium yellow onion finely chopped
* coarse ground black pepper to taste
* 1 can of beer – Kirin Ichiban will get you in the proper Korean mindset

Open your beer, take the first drink. In large bowl, mix the soy sauce, sugar, sesame oil, kiwi, onion, garlic, ginger, sesame seeds, and pepper. Let marinade stand for a few minutes at room temperature. Throw the marinade and the beef into a large zip-style plastic bag and refrigerate for up to 30 min to 1 hour. Finish first beer.
Heat the grill to high 450-500 degrees and brush the grates with oil. Put the marinated meat over direct heat - 3 to 3 and a half minutes on each side is plenty as the thin cuts will cook very quickly. Serve immediately after pulling off.
Serves 2
GrillMaster Tips:

1. Use a propane grill for this recipe. It makes no sense to take 30 minutes setting up your charcoal when cook time is about 1/4 of that.
2. Good fresh ginger is becoming more available, but is still hard to find in some areas. I always keep a tube of Gourmet Gardens ginger handy for asian recipes. Don’t use dry ginger unless it’s a dire emergency.
3. Save a little of the marinade before adding to the beef and use it on some whole crimini mushrooms as a side dish.
4. You can also use 1/2 of a pear instead of kiwi. I don’t for two reasons: 1) I don’t like pear so the other half just goes into the trash and 2) I’ve had better luck finding good kiwi year round as opposed to pear which is best in late fall.
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Re: Korean BBQ - Bulgogi

Postby DATsBBQ » Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:45 pm

Glad to see that others are open to trying on new flavors :D

Chuck also works good for this, slice thin and then skewer the strips. Take a piece of Romain lettuce, load on on some rice, grilled beef and Kimche. Don't forget Sriracha hot sauce! I've found that the Asian Mart has Bulgogi Marinade readily available (Asian Pear).

BTW, Ginger stays for ever wrapped in foil in the freezer.

I've like Kirin since I had my first one on Okinawa so many moons ago. Very big in Japan. In Korea, OB seems to be the equivalent (now part of the Inbev family).
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee

Return to “Beef Recipes”