BBQ For The Troops - A Day Of Healing - Ft. Hood 12/11/2009

Announcements, Roll Call and Results for ALL Competitions and Events.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

nascarchuck USER_AVATAR
nascarchuck
Retired Lawman

Re: BBQ For The Troops - A Day Of Healing - Ft. Hood 12/11/2009

Postby nascarchuck » Sun Nov 29, 2009 4:41 am

Thanks for the update. Havent heard from Del in a few days.
Chuck

http://cookinwithchuck.blogspot.com - Updated 01/10/10

Texas Steel
Pilgrim

Postby Texas Steel » Sun Nov 29, 2009 6:52 pm

Just wonderin if anyone close to Houston is heading up there? I'm gonna see about taking some Vacation time to make it.
Texas Steel
Pilgrim

Postby Texas Steel » Sun Nov 29, 2009 7:00 pm

JamesB wrote:Got an email earlier today from Del requesting any available mobile kitchens to be brought. The base is very concerned about food safety... I explained our 3 bay sanitation arrangement. I hope that is sufficient.

I spoke to Scott over at Lighthouse Chairty Cook Team Friday. He sounded interested in helping out. Those folks are amaizing... Anyway he has a mobile kitchen set up....
Jeff 832.526.5727
smoken don
Cowboy

Postby smoken don » Sun Nov 29, 2009 7:47 pm

Jeff,wife and I will be leaving cleveland around 8:30 Thursday A.M. You are welcome to ride wiith us.
We have an older moterhome and will be be pulling our pit.

Don 832-967-9009
Don

Pitzin in the wind
Gator Entertainer
26" Weber kettle
jamesb USER_AVATAR
JamesB
Retired Lawman

Postby JamesB » Sun Nov 29, 2009 8:11 pm

Del is requesting that you send him a list of the names for the folks that are planning on going. He is also requesting that you give him an estimate of the space you are going to require for your setup.

You can email him at ---> del@bbqforourtroops.com

I sent Bluz's and Big Ed's names on my list.
jamesb USER_AVATAR
JamesB
Retired Lawman

Postby JamesB » Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:28 pm

The below copied message is new today from Del...

I have informed him that it is unfortunate that we will have to pull out of this effort as it is not possible for us to obtain the required certifications for all team members who would be working our 4 pits for this event. I did ask about the possibility of the having certified team managers as this would not require every team member to pay for and alot time for the certifications.

I fully understand the base's need for safety and security,especially where food is concerned, but it is beginning to appear that maybe they don't want our help. There was also talk at one time of requiring certificated mobile kitchens and the like. Guess next they will say that all of the cookers have to be NSF rated. Geez... sorry, but I'm frustrated right now... :roll:

------------------
Posted on the BBQ Rub forum.

" here is the lastest. We will not be aloud to bring outside meats onto the base. So no brisket. and you are now required to take a food handlers course.

All Food Handlers must abide by Fort Hood Preventive Medicine Food Handlers Guidelines. Anyone cooking or manning grills needs to have a 40 HOUR Food Handlers/Manager's Certificate (card).
Anyone serving food must have the 4 HOUR food handlers card.
These cards need to be copied or scanned and sent to USO Fort Hood to have on file for the 11th of December . Scanned copies can be emailed to Isabel Hubbard at ihubbard@uso.org. If you choose to copy please fax your copy to USO Fort Hood at 254-768-2772.

I am working with the owner of the link below to work out a deal for $8.00 per person. They will give USO A PROMO COde for all folks needing the food handlers. I need to now confirm with Lucia Carter from Preventive Med that this will suffice. This food handlers will only be good on the installation.

http://www.safewayclasses.com/course...e%20of%20Texas
So let me know if you are still interested.
Backdoor
Pilgrim

Postby Backdoor » Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:15 pm

Hello All, Backdoor will still be at the cook at Ft Hood, I hope everyone that can will get the Texas food handlers card (4 hours, and if the USO gets a price break you guys/gals are $ ahead), I have a Texas food managers and will help oversee other pits around if allowed, I will have my comp rig and a catering rig on site, please remember the cause, I do hope to see yall at Ft Hood.
Gotta cook sum Q
jamesb USER_AVATAR
JamesB
Retired Lawman

Postby JamesB » Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:20 pm

It truly is a great cause. The Texas food handlers card only allows one to serve food.

I just hope they allow the "managers" to manage... That would allow the rest of us to still cook. I'd let ya oversee our pits! :P I have sent this question to Del.
Backdoor
Pilgrim

Postby Backdoor » Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:36 pm

Texas establishment have to have one food manager in charge, the rest are food handlers (prep, cook and serve)
Gotta cook sum Q
jamesb USER_AVATAR
JamesB
Retired Lawman

Postby JamesB » Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:38 pm

Yep, but according to Del, they want everbody to have the 40hr managers/handlers course. I hope it's a typo and that we can get the job done with just the 4hr handlers course. That would be doable for a couple of folks on our team. Thx. again.
bryanm USER_AVATAR
BryanM
Cowboy

Postby BryanM » Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:46 pm

It's not a typo, they want the full 40-hour. I actually found out about this on Saturday. This whole ordeal is becoming frustrating. As of Saturday, they still do not even know where on the base this will take place.
jamesb USER_AVATAR
JamesB
Retired Lawman

Postby JamesB » Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:03 am

tritonman wrote:It's not a typo, they want the full 40-hour. I actually found out about this on Saturday. This whole ordeal is becoming frustrating. As of Saturday, they still do not even know where on the base this will take place.

I hope they can still pull this off, but it is becoming increasingly more difficult to do so. We have already had team members arrange vacation time etc. This being a very busy time of the year for most of these volunteers, there is just not the time or $$s to get the 40hr certs completed before the event. I have informed them that we are now in "wait and see" mode.

Is this normal for these events or is this just a case of special requirements due to the recent events on this base?
cowboydon USER_AVATAR
cowboydon
Retired Lawman

Postby cowboydon » Tue Dec 01, 2009 3:02 am

I was wondering the same thing - from the looks of the website - They have done this type of cook
on differant bases all over the US.
CowboyDon
Garland, Texas :texas:
Check out my BBQ @
https://www.instagram.com/alltherealbbq/
alltherealbbq
jamesb USER_AVATAR
JamesB
Retired Lawman

Postby JamesB » Tue Dec 01, 2009 3:06 am

And for some reason, the info that they had on the up coming Fort Hood cook has been removed from the website. It would be a great idea to post updated info via the website instead of sporadic emails to many different folks with tidbits of information to each.
dahorns USER_AVATAR
DaHorns
Bandolero

Postby DaHorns » Tue Dec 01, 2009 7:17 am

I have been to all of the events at Ft. Hood and participated in the first food safety course they gave. The past few have gotten more and more stringent on the needed documentation (wated which I do understand). I guess it is a wait and see now, I too am frustrated along with you guys. I hope they allow the "manager" to do this....

Also, is that Bell County that Ft. Hood falls in? Just want to be sure I take the correct class.
Yellow Dog BBQ Team
Gator Predator
When people realize what is really important in life there will be a shortage of fishing rods.

Return to “Cookoff Announcements and Results”