Autumn Blaze BBQ Smoke Off

Announcements, Roll Call and Results for ALL Competitions and Events.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

steercrazy USER_AVATAR
SteerCrazy
Retired Lawman

Autumn Blaze BBQ Smoke Off

Postby SteerCrazy » Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:25 pm

This will be our 2nd competition mid October this year and I normally would retire the Spicewine for another season this late in the year but this one has an optional Sausage category.

So I've searched for Sausage turn in's and I've come up empty. I have an excellent chicken with feta and spinach sausage I make fresh that I have decided to enter but do not know or have not seen anyone submit pics of sausage turn in's from a competition.

Any ideas??
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Re: Autumn Blaze BBQ Smoke Off

Postby DATsBBQ » Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:56 am

Do you have to make the sausage on site?
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
fr8 train USER_AVATAR
FR8 Train
Bandolero

Postby FR8 Train » Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:01 am

Sausage is a strange category. For one the market is flooded and how do you prevent teams from just cooking someone elses sausage bought at the super market?
southern pride bbq USER_AVATAR
Southern Pride BBQ
Bandolero

Postby Southern Pride BBQ » Sun Aug 16, 2009 7:23 pm

You dont see a sausage category because no one ever does sausage......
Southern Pride BBQ Cooking Team, Waco TX

IF you can't Barbeque with the big dogs, stay on the Porch !!!

Now, I'm gonna put this charcoal in a nice Geometrical shape, called a PILE......
steercrazy USER_AVATAR
SteerCrazy
Retired Lawman

Postby SteerCrazy » Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:22 pm

well Southern Pride, where you might compete they might not have a sausage category at most competitions.....here in KC, we have a sausage category in most of the KC, MO competitions.

Dats, no the sausage is not made on site...

The American Royal actually HAS a sausage category, which next to the Memphis in May and Jack Daniels BBQ competitions is the most prestigious so I would suggest Southern Pride brush up on your BBQ comp knowledge.
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:55 pm

So then does the sausage have to be store bought? I know the KCBS rules, at comps here, say that all meat must be inspected upon arrival on site and must be marked as from a USDA approved source. Just talking out loud here, trying to get a better understanding.

So if you're using store bought (meaning not home-made) sausage is the trick then is not to use the mundane Hillshire Farm's chedder brauts but rather to find a sausage a bit more exotic? Like maybe Knackwurst or some kind of ring baloney and smoke rather than grill? How about turn in boxes, do you fill 'em with chunks of cut up sausage or do you try to keep them whole?

As for feasts I've done that included sausage, those Big Wheel Genuine Texas Hot Links (recipe is on this site) went faster than pulled pork or smoked salmon so folks do like sausages.
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
steercrazy USER_AVATAR
SteerCrazy
Retired Lawman

Postby SteerCrazy » Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:18 am

Dats,
the question was if anyone had competed in an cook off that had a sausage category. I saw some other threads regarding to this and didn't find much except for suggesting fatties :roll: I know sausage category is common, especially up here but it's obviously not that common where other folks live.
I contacted the promotor and he said it's open to any sausage and nothing else, so no bacon wrapped or crescent roll wrapped or anything like that.
I've made the texas hot links (not BW's recipe but a different one) and would agree, they are good. Last year I came up with a chicken feta and spinach sausage that always goes over well. I figure I'd enter that and basically have some slices and a whole ring in the turn in box with garnish and nothing else.
We'll try it out and let everyone know how it goes
Lynn
Rustler

Postby Lynn » Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:41 am

the 2 yrs that we cooked the Royal - most of the teams that cooked sausage used the Johnsonville Brauts and won or placed with it.

Best thing to do is to contact the promoter and ask them.

Return to “Cookoff Announcements and Results”