Comp Beans Help

Announcements, Roll Call and Results for ALL Competitions and Events.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

txbbqman USER_AVATAR
txbbqman
Pilgrim

Comp Beans Help

Postby txbbqman » Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:25 pm

I am entering the bean competition portion for the first time and I am just looking for ideas or suggestions and what does well in competiition........sweet, spicy, thick juice?????
Lynn
Rustler

Postby Lynn » Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:59 am

Usually, just like your grandma use to fix.
Just a good old pinto bean with good juice.
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:16 am

Gator's Busted Pintos (in the Sides section) are hard to beat :D Just remember the tater to reduce or eliminate the :fart:
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
bigwheel
Outlaw

Postby bigwheel » Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:33 am

Try this:

1 lb dry pintos (soaked overnight if possible if not dont worry about it)
1 small can tomater sauce
1 T. granulated onyawn
2 t. granulated garlic
2 strips good bacon
1 T. sea salt
2 t. sugar
1/2 t. black peppa
1 packet Goya brand ham flavoring (usually available in Mexican Markets)
1/2 can Ranch Style Brand "Pinto Beans" (Not regular Ranch Style chili beans)

Put all items except ham flavoring and canned beans in a pressure cooker and cook for 45 mins if they was soaked or 1 hour and 10 mins if they wasnt soaked. Cool em down and put them back on the fire without a lid. Take the Ranch Style Beans drain and mash em up with a fork till they are about the consistentcy of mashed tates and add them to the pot. Simmer till you get a nice thick juice..tweak it with more salt and black peppa to suit yourself. Add the ham flavoring packet and simmer about 10 mins longer. Remove the bacon. Season the bean cup (you season the cup by putting some bean juice in it..sloshing it around.. and let it set a while then dump it out). Double check for salt adding some if needed. Using a slotted spoon fill up the cup with beans about 2/3..then add juice to bring it up to the full line on the cup. Turn em in. Wait for em to call your number.

bigwheel
3 star redneck USER_AVATAR
3 star redneck
Chuck Wagon

Postby 3 star redneck » Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:18 pm

Wheeler, you know that recipe is Cheatin!! :shock: ........Half a can of Ranch Style beans, aint them darn things already cooked????? :roll:
bigwheel
Outlaw

Postby bigwheel » Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:05 pm

Thats why you mash em up in the camper :wink: Heck some of them folks use all canned beans. Old moss back tole me one time a can o Bush's Pintos with some bbq sauce on em will hit in the top 10 mo times than not. The canned beans in that recipe I gave is just to thicken up the juice. That purfectly legal most likely. You actually turning in Dry Pintos. The rules done say nothing about adding canned beans to the juice.

bigwheel
3 star redneck USER_AVATAR
3 star redneck
Chuck Wagon

Postby 3 star redneck » Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:13 am

Just pullin yore strang alittle!!!
R&O Custom Offset....It rocks!!!!
http://www.redneckcooker.com

Hook Em' Horns
txbbqman USER_AVATAR
txbbqman
Pilgrim

Postby txbbqman » Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:51 pm

thanks for the help guys, so it sounds like judges like thicker juice with the beans?????..... and dont yall know that old saying.... "if u ain't cheatin u ain't trying"........ doesnt that go for beans too........
bigwheel
Outlaw

Postby bigwheel » Thu Aug 07, 2008 5:53 pm

Sounds reasonable to me. Now dont think I mentioned it but cover the beans with about 2 inches of water in the pressure cooker if they has been soaked..maybe 3 inches if they plumb dry. Also think maybe that too much salt on the front end..knock that back to 1 t. Posting under the influence is hard work. Hey Redneck...got the chili cookoff poop up on the website.

bigwheel

Return to “Cookoff Announcements and Results”