Good day at the Eastern Montgomery County Fair and Rodeo BBQ

Announcements, Roll Call and Results for ALL Competitions and Events.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

scott p USER_AVATAR
Scott P
Cowboy

Good day at the Eastern Montgomery County Fair and Rodeo BBQ

Postby Scott P » Mon Sep 08, 2014 1:35 pm

I do one cookoff a year and this is it. This is my third year cooking and we seem to do a bit better each year. It was crazy hot this year and I think the temps hit 107 degrees at my cooking station. We managed to get fourth in chicken and seventh in ribs. There were 100 teams cooking this year. I even got to carry my nine month old boy up to get my awards. I think they called him the real cook. His twin sister was being a grouch, so my wife had here just outside the door and missed our walks.

I took a few pictures before the turn-ins.

This was the best brisket I've coked here. But it's only my third year competing and I had no false hopes of a Yankee like me ever getting a call in Brisket.

My seventh place ribs. I thought they cam out a bit dark. They tasted great though and were about as good as I've ever made. They were three hours at 275 in the big WSM, a couple hours in foil in the cooler, an hour back on the smoker and a glazing.

My fourth place chicken. I was so not happy with how this looked. I loved the taste, but I thought it just didn't look like a winner. I guess the judges go a lot more on taster than looks. I wonder if I would have scored higher without the black drumstick.

The open category experiment I did not turn in. These are Crawfish Stuffed Bacon Wrapped Jalapenos. They were great, but did not think they would cut well with a plastic fork and knife. I plan on experimenting and perfecting these in time for next year.

My actual open entry, Bacon Wrapped Burnt Ends. They came out great, but did not make the final table.

If I wasn't a stay at home father of twins, I think I'd actually try to enter a few more contests.
Buddha Belly BBQ Team

18" WSM
22" WSM
26" Kettle
Genesis II S-310
Large BGE
limey USER_AVATAR
limey
Deputy

Re: Good day at the Eastern Montgomery County Fair and Rodeo

Postby limey » Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:27 pm

Congsrats on the walks, good looking trays. :salut:
How bout some more beans Mr.Taggert? I'd say you've had enough!
R & O Custom Trailer
Weber 22.5 Gold
Weber 22.5 Smoky Mountain
Oklahoma Joe Longhorn Edition
Limey BBQ Co. Competition Team
cowboydon USER_AVATAR
cowboydon
Retired Lawman

Postby cowboydon » Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:36 pm

Congratulations, real nice looking turn in trays !!
CowboyDon
Garland, Texas :texas:
Check out my BBQ @
https://www.instagram.com/alltherealbbq/
alltherealbbq
big ed USER_AVATAR
Big Ed
Outlaw

Postby Big Ed » Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:46 pm

Big congrats on your calls!! One thing you might try on the brisket is soak it in the drippings real good and it will keep it moist longer.
Can't Beat A Drum!!!

Big Ed BBQ
https://www.facebook.com/BigEdBbq
Custom elf Pit (UDS on Steriods)
Water Tower pit
PK Grill
22'' weber kettle
All_Grilla_No_Filla
Cowboy

Postby All_Grilla_No_Filla » Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:24 pm

Great job! Above all, I hope you had some great fun and were proud of your entries! You should be, they looked great. A couple of small tweaks, as previously mentioned, and you'll score even higher next time!
B&K Smokers
Rustler

Postby B&K Smokers » Tue Sep 09, 2014 8:13 am

good job man. We managed a 4th place rib. Thought my chicken was great but no call. Brisket was good but didnt have that pop this weekend. good weekend overall but man it sure was HOT
scott p USER_AVATAR
Scott P
Cowboy

Postby Scott P » Tue Sep 09, 2014 8:35 am

Congratulations on the rib call. I don't know if I got lucky with my ribs or stumbled upon a good method to cook them with my seventh place call.

It was terribly hot this year for sure. The bonus was that we had no love bugs like the previous two years. I did have a few ant bites though. I swear next year I'm powdering/spraying my cook area down before bringing in the camper and setting up. We were in the grass by the road in spot four. I can't imagine how hot it got on the pavement.
Buddha Belly BBQ Team

18" WSM
22" WSM
26" Kettle
Genesis II S-310
Large BGE

Return to “Cookoff Announcements and Results”