American Royal questions

Announcements, Roll Call and Results for ALL Competitions and Events.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

allend23
Wrangler

American Royal questions

Postby allend23 » Mon Jun 02, 2014 4:03 pm

Ok fellas I am making the journey to Kansas City for the American Royal and I was hoping some of you may have made this trip before. I have no idea what to expect but I have cooked KCBS before so my questions are more about the site itself. I am looking to rent a camper up there and hopefully have it dropped off. Anyone have a recommendation? Is there a preferred lot I need to request to be in? Do I need to get any hay bales lol? Really any advice would be greatly appreciated.
-Allen Day
Sons of Barbecue

Pitmaker trailer with Vault and Grillmeister
kevin_texas USER_AVATAR
Kevin_Texas
Cowboy

Re: American Royal questions

Postby Kevin_Texas » Mon Jun 02, 2014 4:38 pm

Congrats on your trip to the Royal. We will be going again I think this is 3 or 4 year in row for us. You can request a spot but most likely they will give you what is available. We are in lot D and like it a lot. It's a far walk to turn in but that is why you should have help. In lot D it seems a little more open to me. Also when the Open is over its real easy to get out and on the road. You get your same spot if you come back each year.

They have water trucks drive around you should be able to get more water through out the weekend. Were you may have a issue is were to dump grey water. If you are up late into the night you may able to catch the trucks that come 1 time to service the porta tolets and have them pull the gray and black water. YOu will have to through them a $10 or $20 spot though. If you can afford it I would order porta tolet.

I would get there early. We like to get in late Wed night but you want have electric until later afternoon on thursday so bring a genarator. By getting there early you can wonder around Thursday and take it all in.

When you sign up order ice it was a great added benefit. They bring it to you when you need. it.

Most of all relax and have fun. You will be tired after its all over.
Proud owner of my 3rd Gator Pit...
crcbbq.com our competition site
Kevin
chingoblingo USER_AVATAR
ChingoBlingo
Rustler

Postby ChingoBlingo » Mon Jun 02, 2014 5:12 pm

Thanks for the info Kevin we will be making our first go at it this year also! How big are the spots, usual 30 x 30? Also I heard you have to have a 3 sink system that true?
jtilk
Outlaw

Postby jtilk » Mon Jun 02, 2014 7:49 pm

allend23 wrote:Ok fellas I am making the journey to Kansas City for the American Royal and I was hoping some of you may have made this trip before. I have no idea what to expect but I have cooked KCBS before so my questions are more about the site itself. I am looking to rent a camper up there and hopefully have it dropped off. Anyone have a recommendation? Is there a preferred lot I need to request to be in? Do I need to get any hay bales lol? Really any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Get one bale of hay for turn in box garnish :wink:
-Josh

Big Green Egg
Pitmaker Vault

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." - Thomas Jefferson
kevin_texas USER_AVATAR
Kevin_Texas
Cowboy

Postby Kevin_Texas » Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:06 am

ChingoBlingo wrote:Thanks for the info Kevin we will be making our first go at it this year also! How big are the spots, usual 30 x 30? Also I heard you have to have a 3 sink system that true?

They have several differnt sizes and each cost differently. They can get very pricy. We are in the same spot as last several years. It is 25x40 and cost $500 plus $35 for electric some the bigger ones are $1,500 and higher. I would register as early as you can.

Remember they pack the teams in really really tight but some how it works. Last year they had 540 teams and they are want to get at least 600

You don't have to have a 3 sink system. Just about every team has some type of motorhome and camper
Proud owner of my 3rd Gator Pit...
crcbbq.com our competition site
Kevin
boots USER_AVATAR
Boots
Wordsmith

Postby Boots » Thu Jun 05, 2014 2:19 pm

Allen, good luck and kick butt.
BE WELL, BUT NOT DONE
Hank: "Do you know how to jumpstart a man's heart with a downed power line?"
Bobby: "No."
Hank: "Well, there's really no wrong way to do it."
allend23
Wrangler

Postby allend23 » Thu Jun 05, 2014 4:40 pm

Well I can say that I am not heading up there with the expectation to dominate or anything. I want to do well and I will attempt to turn in the best stuff I got, but in reality I am going to it for the experience of the weekend and to check it off my list of accomplishments I made when I started competing. I want to compete against the best and this event gives me that chance. Our team has only been at this for a little over a year and we've had some triumphant moments and some disappointments, but to me the greatest thing that's come with competing is the people I've met. These events provide an opportunity to meet a new group of people everytime out, and many of these people I now call my friends and I keep in touch with em. I hope to do the same in KC. Thanks to everyone for the advice. Smoke on!
-Allen Day
Sons of Barbecue

Pitmaker trailer with Vault and Grillmeister
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Thu Jun 05, 2014 6:41 pm

allend23 wrote:Well I can say that I am not heading up there with the expectation to dominate or anything. I want to do well and I will attempt to turn in the best stuff I got, but in reality I am going to it for the experience of the weekend and to check it off my list of accomplishments I made when I started competing. I want to compete against the best and this event gives me that chance. Our team has only been at this for a little over a year and we've had some triumphant moments and some disappointments, but to me the greatest thing that's come with competing is the people I've met. These events provide an opportunity to meet a new group of people everytime out, and many of these people I now call my friends and I keep in touch with em. I hope to do the same in KC. Thanks to everyone for the advice. Smoke on!

Well said Allen and Good luck my Friend. :D
Debbie and I have our invite for this year but at the end of the day as you and I discussed reality says I will keep my invite and know I accomplished that for now. My job does not allow me to be gone that long or far away it is very demanding at times. Will we ever get another only time will tell. But for now I am quite happy knowing we made the cut. :D
Always remember slow and steady wins the race.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
JMoney7269
Bandolero

Postby JMoney7269 » Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:47 pm

Good luck up there bro
Life has no remote control, get up and change it yourself!
Those willing to sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
My $.02 is worth $37.50

Return to “Cookoff Announcements and Results”