Cook offs around Plano / Frisco

Announcements, Roll Call and Results for ALL Competitions and Events.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

sparetimetoys USER_AVATAR
sparetimetoys
Bandolero

Cook offs around Plano / Frisco

Postby sparetimetoys » Thu Oct 31, 2013 6:31 pm

I would like to try a cook off or two but want to go look around at a couple before I weld wheels on the smoker. Are there any in the Plano /frisco north Texas area close by where you could pop in for an afternoon and browse around and sort of get an idea of what goes on? Just looking for something to do for fun on the weekends with momma other than chasing that little white ball around a nicely mowed field.
Thank You to all the fine folks here for all the tips and advice so I can now smoke a chunk of meat and folks actually eat it.
erbeman USER_AVATAR
erbeman
Bandolero

Re: Cook offs around Plano / Frisco

Postby erbeman » Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:06 am

We have one in Frisco every year called the Paddy Dash. It isn't till March 15 though. I judged in it this year. Next year I will be cooking. There were around 35 teams this year in only its 2nd year of the event. So look for it to get bigger this coming year. They had chicken thighs, ribs, brisket, and open this year.

http://www.paddydash.com/
Smokin Erbe
UDS
Weber One Touch
Sr_Egor
Pilgrim

Postby Sr_Egor » Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:15 pm

I talked with Brian Rush today. He is the owner of Premier Grilling and organized the Paddy Dash cook off. Unfortunately, for us, there will not be a cook off associated with the Paddy Dash in 2014. However, he said there will be a Frisco BBQ comp in May or June.
Central Market use to have one but last year the opted for a chili cook off. Hopefully they will bring back the bbq cook off this year.
limey USER_AVATAR
limey
Deputy

Postby limey » Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:19 pm

Steve Mayberry Memorial in Carrolton in September, great cookoff.
http://ibcabbq.org/wp-content/uploads/s ... ookoff.pdf
How bout some more beans Mr.Taggert? I'd say you've had enough!
R & O Custom Trailer
Weber 22.5 Gold
Weber 22.5 Smoky Mountain
Oklahoma Joe Longhorn Edition
Limey BBQ Co. Competition Team
All_Grilla_No_Filla
Cowboy

Postby All_Grilla_No_Filla » Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:28 pm

limey wrote:Steve Mayberry Memorial in Carrolton in September, great cookoff.
http://ibcabbq.org/wp-content/uploads/s ... ookoff.pdf

This is a good one, for sure, great suggestion.

The trouble with the cook-offs is that there are almost none in our area up here; however, not far down the road, there are several throughout the year. Our first one of the year will likely be the one in Waxahachie. It's held at Texas Motorplex. We enjoyed that one last year because there was plenty of space, and lots of great teams. Cops for Kids is a good one as well. There are also a couple in Mesquite, Terrell, Canton, Keller, Greenville, Bedford, etc. The best thing to do would be to go to the IBCA website and have a look at their event calendar. Also, Lone Star BBQ Society has a year's worth of events as well. KCBS has a few during the year in Texas, but due to that stupid agreement all the organizations had there aren't many at all. I wish there were more, I really like cooking in those.

Not sure if that helps.
All_Grilla_No_Filla
Cowboy

Postby All_Grilla_No_Filla » Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:34 pm

Sr_Egor wrote:I talked with Brian Rush today. He is the owner of Premier Grilling and organized the Paddy Dash cook off. Unfortunately, for us, there will not be a cook off associated with the Paddy Dash in 2014. However, he said there will be a Frisco BBQ comp in May or June.
Central Market use to have one but last year the opted for a chili cook off. Hopefully they will bring back the bbq cook off this year.

Was he at the Plano store today? I was at Premier in Frisco for a while BS'ing with Mark and we were talking about it. He'd had mentioned previously that they weren't going to do it this year. They got completely shafted last year, IMO, Frisco did little to promote it (didn't help that the BBQ theme just didn't work with the whole healthy lifestyles 5k run, which Frisco was working much harder to promote), and it didn't help that it was a blustery 38 degrees all night :laughing7: That actually sucked. Everyone's stuff kept blowing away. We did good, though. Got 1st in brisket, 4th in chicken and 7th in ribs. It was nice to have an event in our back yard, practically.

They're pretty excited about the cook-off they're planning for May/June, however.
Sr_Egor
Pilgrim

Postby Sr_Egor » Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:51 pm

All_Grilla_No_Filla wrote:
Sr_Egor wrote:I talked with Brian Rush today. He is the owner of Premier Grilling and organized the Paddy Dash cook off. Unfortunately, for us, there will not be a cook off associated with the Paddy Dash in 2014. However, he said there will be a Frisco BBQ comp in May or June.

Was he at the Plano store today? I was at Premier in Frisco for a while BS'ing with Mark and we were talking about it. He'd had mentioned previously that they weren't going to do it this year. They got completely shafted last year, IMO, Frisco did little to promote it (didn't help that the BBQ theme just didn't work with the whole healthy lifestyles 5k run, which Frisco was working much harder to promote), and it didn't help that it was a blustery 38 degrees all night :laughing7: That actually sucked. Everyone's stuff kept blowing away. We did good, though. Got 1st in brisket, 4th in chicken and 7th in ribs. It was nice to have an event in our back yard, practically.

They're pretty excited about the cook-off they're planning for May/June, however.

Not sure. I talked to him on the phone. He seems to be at the Plano store every time I stop by though.

Yeah, he was excited about the May/June cook. It will be a sanctioned event too. He said he should have the details ironed out by mid Feb. I'm looking forward to it.
All_Grilla_No_Filla
Cowboy

Postby All_Grilla_No_Filla » Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:08 pm

Sr_Egor wrote:

Not sure. I talked to him on the phone. He seems to be at the Plano store every time I stop by though.

Yeah, he was excited about the May/June cook. It will be a sanctioned event too. He said he should have the details ironed out by mid Feb. I'm looking forward to it.

Awesome stuff! Per chance, did you cook in last year's event?
Sr_Egor
Pilgrim

Postby Sr_Egor » Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:46 pm

Awesome stuff! Per chance, did you cook in last year's event?

No sir. We had a baseball tourney in Sherman that weekend. The weather was awful. I did stop by as competitors were packing, talked to a few folks and snagged some meaty goodness.

I did cook in it the first year. I think there were 15-17 teams. The categories were open, ribs and chicken. No true Texas bbq cook would fire up a smoker, stay up all night and not cook a brisket! So I entered the brisket in the open. We placed 3rd in the open behind two bacon wrapped jalapeño bombs I believe. There were several briskest entered in the open so We got best brisket by default :mrgreen:
We placed 5th in ribs and 7th in chicken. That was my first cook and first piece of hardware. Conditions were a little better than last year. Cold and windy but no rain. I also met TBBQF veteran and MVP Boots. Good times for sure.
erbeman USER_AVATAR
erbeman
Bandolero

Postby erbeman » Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:57 am

I judged at the Paddy Dash last year. IMO the weather really put a damper on things it was chilly and windy. I thought it was a decent turnout though for a comp that isn't sanctioned and is only a couple years old.
Smokin Erbe
UDS
Weber One Touch

Return to “Cookoff Announcements and Results”