Texans Tailgate 101 - Houston, Tx 9/8/07

Announcements, Roll Call and Results for ALL Competitions and Events.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

dahorns USER_AVATAR
DaHorns
Bandolero

Texans Tailgate 101 - Houston, Tx 9/8/07

Postby DaHorns » Thu Aug 30, 2007 6:57 pm

I just was asked to bring my pit down for Tailgate 101 next Saturday for Academy Sports & Outdoors. Gotta cook 1500 samples of brisket and sausage. Anyone planning on going? We will have our banner out for all to see. We will also be in the flyer/ad for the event. Come by and say hi, if your so inclined!!!!

Anyone have any idea of how many slices of brisket you get out of a 10-12# brisket when cut as thick as a pencil? Trying to figure out how many briskets to get.

Lisa is a HUGE Texans fan, so she is really excited about being asked to do this.
Yellow Dog BBQ Team
Gator Predator
When people realize what is really important in life there will be a shortage of fishing rods.
osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

Postby OSD » Thu Aug 30, 2007 7:16 pm

Sounds like a good gig. :D Lots of free advertisement :D :D 8)
Jim
dahorns USER_AVATAR
DaHorns
Bandolero

Postby DaHorns » Fri Aug 31, 2007 3:19 pm

This will be at the Academy Sports & Outdoors at I-10 & Grand Parkway in Katy, Tx.
Yellow Dog BBQ Team

Gator Predator

When people realize what is really important in life there will be a shortage of fishing rods.
dahorns USER_AVATAR
DaHorns
Bandolero

Postby DaHorns » Sun Sep 09, 2007 12:17 pm

Wooooooooo dawgie, what a experience!!!!

First and foremost I'd like to say thanks to Ritch and Texana for stopping by and saying hello and visiting for awhile, and thanks for dropping off my order Texana, I really appreciate it!!! It was great to finally meet you guys and look forward to hooking up again soon.

Now for the "experience". Well, we ran the gammet of issues this weekend. We started off byhaving a small grease fire about 3/4 of the way through the cook, I was really worried that the fire ruined the briskets, fortunatly, I was wrong. They came out really good, since we had to do 14 briskets I decided to foil. I was really pleased with how they turned out. The second issue we ran into was carving 14 briskets by myself in 2 hours for samples, so I'd slice then cut the slices into chunks. Talk about a pain in the buttocks!!! The electric fillet knife helped out immensly. The third issue was that I forgot how people act when it comes to free food, much less BBQ. I could not keep up with the amount that people were taking. We would give them 1 piece of brisket and a piece of sausage. I did notice people going thru multiple times (one lady I counted 7 times). There were many small "experiences" that taught us a few lessons. Now for the one that really peaved me off, and I dont have anyone to blame except myself. I made a bunch of extras for the employees of the store, 10 racks of spares, 20 stuffed chicken thighs, and 60 ABT's. Well with all of the insanity, I forgot all about the ribs. I put them on at 6a, foiled them at 9a, and pulled them at 2:30, anyone see the problem there? I guess the 3-5-1 method doesnt work to well :wink: ...... one thing they were was tender. I was able to give them away though, go figure. All in all it was a big leaning experience, and our biggest cook to date. I forgot to mention the Texans cheerleaders, wow, they were "exciting" :wink: ......

I forgot to mention the police officer who came to "visit" us at 2am asking what we were doing. Needless to say, he really didn't understand low and slow.
Yellow Dog BBQ Team

Gator Predator

osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

Postby OSD » Sun Sep 09, 2007 12:24 pm

Sounds like it was a success overall :D :D Glad everything turned out in the end. :D 8)
Jim
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Sun Sep 09, 2007 12:46 pm

Sounds like ya had one of those valuable experiences. Glad it turned out and you can still count to 10 too!!!
tarde venientibus ossa....
tx sandman USER_AVATAR
TX Sandman
Outlaw

Postby TX Sandman » Sun Sep 09, 2007 1:29 pm

Yep, sounds like an experience to me, too. But, you survived. Sounds like a success overall.
Rob - TX Sandman
Midnight Blue Smokers BBQ Team

"...grilling is fun and tasty, but it isn't brain surgery and the patient won't die if you mess up."
Steven Raichlen
gator USER_AVATAR
Gator
Sheriff

Postby Gator » Sun Sep 09, 2007 4:32 pm

sounds like a great time - those little got-chas make it fun!

Great deal all around. Cheerleaders to boot. 8)
Gator

"I won't tolerate rude behavior" - Woodrow F Call
dj USER_AVATAR
DJ
Chuck Wagon

Postby DJ » Sun Sep 09, 2007 6:01 pm

Sounds like a heckuva an adventure that turned out well!! Plus yur ahead of me in the pro pic'em.....still got a few to go tho.....
Hey, glad you had a good time with the burn!
DJ
http://djstexasstylebbq.com
Caldwell, Texas Native
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Mon Sep 10, 2007 8:33 am

Someone in Texas doesn't understand Low&Slow? :shock: Congrats on the successful outing :D
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
hex USER_AVATAR
Hex
Pilgrim

Postby Hex » Sun Sep 23, 2007 11:14 am

Ok horns I'm jus wonderin'.

Did YOU have to pay for the meat?
Surely NOT.

What was the purpose of the "free samples" I mean who was selling/advertising what?

I do not envy you all the hassles, I know portioning for more than a family of 4 or so is way over my head.
Now I might suggest that you could maybe enroll in a tele-course in food mgmt. somewhere...maybe A&M extension svc.

then you could upgrade your handle to DaAgs....
:wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol: :roll: :roll:

gig em :goof:

:texas: :texas: :texas: :texas: :texas: :texas: :texas: :texas: :texas: :texas: :texas: :texas: :texas: :texas: :texas: :texas: :texas: :texas: :texas: :texas: :texas: :texas: :texas: :texas: :texas: :texas: :texas: :texas: :texas: :texas: :texas: :texas:

:texas: ~~HeX~~ :texas:
dahorns USER_AVATAR
DaHorns
Bandolero

Postby DaHorns » Sun Sep 23, 2007 4:31 pm

Hex wrote:Ok horns I'm jus wonderin'.

Did YOU have to pay for the meat?
Surely NOT.

What was the purpose of the "free samples" I mean who was selling/advertising what?

I do not envy you all the hassles, I know portioning for more than a family of 4 or so is way over my head.
Now I might suggest that you could maybe enroll in a tele-course in food mgmt. somewhere...maybe A&M extension svc.

then you could upgrade your handle to DaAgs....

:wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol: :roll: :roll:

gig em :goof:

:texas: :texas: :texas: :texas: :texas: :texas: :texas: :texas: :texas: :texas: :texas: :texas: :texas: :texas: :texas: :texas: :texas: :texas: :texas: :texas: :texas: :texas: :texas: :texas: :texas: :texas: :texas: :texas: :texas: :texas: :texas: :texas:

:texas: ~~HeX~~ :texas:

First I will address you initial question, Academy paid for the meat. We cooked it up for them and handed it out. The purpose was to have more draw for the event. We had no problem with the food management. As for the last portion of your question.......Not in 100 lifetimes...... :roll:

Hook 'Em....... :wink:
Yellow Dog BBQ Team

Gator Predator

Return to “Cookoff Announcements and Results”