Rockwall Rib Rub - Sept 11

Announcements, Roll Call and Results for ALL Competitions and Events.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

kevin_texas USER_AVATAR
Kevin_Texas
Cowboy

Re: Rockwall Rib Rub - Sept 11

Postby Kevin_Texas » Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:58 am

tex_toby wrote:Alright all of you BBQ Competition guru's - I have a few questions since I have never been to a cookoff like this. I am planning on being at the Rockwall Rib Rub as purely a spectator. My wife and I are planning on coming down to just walk around or what-not and meet a few of you folks I talk with on here from time to time.

My first question is - how family friendly are these events? We would have our two boys with us (ages 5 and 11). Are there other kids around, or will we be outcasts for bringing kids to an adult event? We keep our kids on a pretty good lock-down (they don't run wild) and they know how to behave, but without knowing I just don't want to show up and be frowned upon for having kids with us. My sis-in-law and bro-in-law will also be with us with their 3 kids. They live in Rockwall which is why we decided to come down and make a day of it checking it out.

Secondly, do spectators get to eat ribs? Are their tickets sold or some sort of other method to get to try out some different ribs? My wife is a rib lover and I need to break the news to her now if we aren't going to be able to eat some ribs at a rib cookoff. Know what I mean? :lol:

At any rate, I hope to get to meet a some of you and also talk to a few folks I haven't seen in a while. I appreciate your help!

tex :texas:

BRING THEM RUG RATS. THEY ARE MORE THAN WELCOME. MOST COOK-OFFS ARE PRETTY LAID BACK WITH EVERYONE JUST OUT TO HAVE A GOOD TIME. FAR AS TASTING, SOME CITIES FROWN IT FOR HEALTH REASON. MAKES NOT SINCE TO ME. YOU SHOULD SEE OF THE RESTAURANTS OUT THAT ARE NOT ALL THAT CLEAN. BUT IF YOU KNOW THE COOKS AND THEY HAVE TURNED IN THEIR STUFF I AM SURE THEY WILL GIVE YOU SAMPLES. COME BY AND I WILL GIVE YOU A FEW :D
Proud owner of my 3rd Gator Pit...
crcbbq.com our competition site
Kevin
ezbbq USER_AVATAR
ezbbq
Cowboy

Postby ezbbq » Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:34 pm

tex_toby wrote:Alright all of you BBQ Competition guru's - I have a few questions since I have never been to a cookoff like this. I am planning on being at the Rockwall Rib Rub as purely a spectator. My wife and I are planning on coming down to just walk around or what-not and meet a few of you folks I talk with on here from time to time.

My first question is - how family friendly are these events? We would have our two boys with us (ages 5 and 11). Are there other kids around, or will we be outcasts for bringing kids to an adult event? We keep our kids on a pretty good lock-down (they don't run wild) and they know how to behave, but without knowing I just don't want to show up and be frowned upon for having kids with us. My sis-in-law and bro-in-law will also be with us with their 3 kids. They live in Rockwall which is why we decided to come down and make a day of it checking it out.

Secondly, do spectators get to eat ribs? Are their tickets sold or some sort of other method to get to try out some different ribs? My wife is a rib lover and I need to break the news to her now if we aren't going to be able to eat some ribs at a rib cookoff. Know what I mean? :lol:

At any rate, I hope to get to meet a some of you and also talk to a few folks I haven't seen in a while. I appreciate your help!

tex :texas:

This one will be very kid friendly. They are going to have a special area set aside for the kids. Story telling, arts and crafts, that sort of thing.

Bands and or a dj will be going on throughout the day, farmer's market till noon and an art fair one block off the square. There will be a poker stroll with most of the merchants on the square participating.

Ther will be eight different restaurants set up on the square with food for sale, along with a beergarden. As for as sampling, the cooks can't sell but we can give away all we want. Come by and see us as soon as we get our boxes turned in, they usually don't last long.

Last count I heard ther were 43 teams committed or paid. Come on out, it's gonna be a blast!
Shiner Bock is the grease that helps us slide thru life.

New R&O smoker - Flaco
One chicken cookin' WSM - R2D2
BigDave
Bandolero

Postby BigDave » Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:54 pm

This is gonna be a crowded place! Just heard from Bethany and she has 47 teams pre-registered! Better plan on gettin their early and if several teams want to cook together they need to check in together!!!!

Kevin & Redneck, where you wanna meet up at? :o :lol:
kevin_texas USER_AVATAR
Kevin_Texas
Cowboy

Postby Kevin_Texas » Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:46 pm

BigDave wrote:This is gonna be a crowded place! Just heard from Bethany and she has 47 teams pre-registered! Better plan on gettin their early and if several teams want to cook together they need to check in together!!!!

Just sent you a PM BigDave. I will be leaving out of little Coppell around 4:30 should put me there around 5:30. Don't know the area that well so you got to give me spot to hook up at :D Larry should be there with us also at least that Bethany told me
Kevin
BigDave
Bandolero

Postby BigDave » Thu Sep 09, 2010 3:38 pm

Kevin_Texas wrote:
BigDave wrote:This is gonna be a crowded place! Just heard from Bethany and she has 47 teams pre-registered! Better plan on gettin their early and if several teams want to cook together they need to check in together!!!!

Just sent you a PM BigDave. I will be leaving out of little Coppell around 4:30 should put me there around 5:30. Don't know the area that well so you got to give me spot to hook up at :D Larry should be there with us also at least that Bethany told me

sent ya a pm kevin. will figure something out! :lol:
ezbbq USER_AVATAR
ezbbq
Cowboy

Postby ezbbq » Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:42 pm

Just spoke with Bethany, we're at an even 50 teams. We will be at the square at 5:30 Sat morning. We'll all squeeze in. See y'all Saturday!

New R&O smoker - Flaco
ezbbq USER_AVATAR
ezbbq
Cowboy

Postby ezbbq » Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:45 pm

You boys can meet at my house around 5-5:15 and we can get to the square together. I'm less than 5 minutes from the square. PM me and I'll give ya directions.

New R&O smoker - Flaco
Rooster
Cowboy

Postby Rooster » Thu Sep 09, 2010 5:04 pm

dang storms yesterday ruined it for us going. I came home to find one of my windows leaking water in my house, then went out in the garage and noticed another leak in the ceiling. I hate to miss this event, but the house comes first. We wish the best of luck to everyone and maybe we will get to meet yall one of these days!
BigDave
Bandolero

Postby BigDave » Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:56 am

Heard from Bethany again.....now have 51 teams pre-registered! :lol: :shock: :!:
kevin_texas USER_AVATAR
Kevin_Texas
Cowboy

Postby Kevin_Texas » Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:44 am

BigDave wrote:

Heard from Bethany again.....now have 51 teams pre-registered! :lol: :shock: :!:

So much for a small cook off... It sould be fun...
Kevin
Lynn
Rustler

Re: Rockwall Rib Rub - Sept 11- FULL

Postby Lynn » Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:57 pm

Just talked to Bethany and she asked that I post that this event is FULL

Who would have ever thought that this event would grow from 14 last year (unsanctioned) to 53 this year.
Space is going to be very tight.

If you aren't doing anything and would like to come out and judge - we will be needing judges - or come out and help in the judging area - I can always use the help

Look forward seeing everyone at the event - we should be there around 5:30 tomorrow morning
kevin_texas USER_AVATAR
Kevin_Texas
Cowboy

Re: Rockwall Rib Rub - Sept 11- FULL

Postby Kevin_Texas » Fri Sep 10, 2010 1:27 pm

Lynn wrote:Just talked to Bethany and she asked that I post that this event is FULL

Who would have ever thought that this event would grow from 14 last year (unsanctioned) to 53 this year.
Space is going to be very tight.

If you aren't doing anything and would like to come out and judge - we will be needing judges - or come out and help in the judging area - I can always use the help

Look forward seeing everyone at the event - we should be there around 5:30 tomorrow morning

Hello Lynn! Will be good to see you again.

Got a questions for you. Are still going to turn in one 1/2 chicken or with this number of teams will we need to move to 2 birds?

Kevin
Circle R Cookers
Kevin
Lynn
Rustler

Postby Lynn » Fri Sep 10, 2010 2:08 pm

yes we will do only 1/2 chicken at this event.

will probably ask for 9 ribs in each category
worchard USER_AVATAR
worchard
Rustler

Postby worchard » Fri Sep 10, 2010 2:28 pm

I'm glad I bought those extra racks of ribs then....
Lynn - I wish you and Bethany good luck in pulling this thing off tomorrow morning. Trying to fit 50 teams within the spaces with trucks backing up and all is going to be a site. I may get there early, pull up a chair and just watch for the entertainment value. :)

See you tomorrow!!
Diamond Plate FAT 50 Square
Team Grills Gone Wild - We Smokin'!

Return to “Cookoff Announcements and Results”