Next ThrowDown

Bring it on! This is our online version of BBQ contests.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

jack2u2 USER_AVATAR
JaCK2U2
Chuck Wagon

Postby JaCK2U2 » Tue Jul 15, 2008 7:37 pm

Never did one, don't quite know what it is, but I'm willing, anyway!
Jack
Jr. C's BBQ
http://www.jrcsbbqandseasonings.com" target="_blank

Homemade upright drum smoker
Backwoods Party
GSW upright (now deceased)
nice gas grill
Weber 27" grill
Weber rotisserie
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Tue Jul 15, 2008 7:47 pm

JaCK2U2 wrote:Never did one, don't quite know what it is, but I'm willing, anyway!

For the benifit of new members, you take one pic of something that fits into to one of the following categories:
Big Hunks of Meat,
Ribs,
Things with wings
or Any thing goes.
The winners of those categories then compete in a run off. The Winner is crown the MVP (most valuable photo).
Complete rules are under the General Ordinances Sticky in this forum.
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
perryranch USER_AVATAR
perryranch
Cowboy

Postby perryranch » Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:30 am

Count me in Haven't done one is a long time now. Date or prizes no biggie to me. I do like the idea of adding a short description of what it is maybe no more than say 5 or 10 words.
puff USER_AVATAR
Puff
Bandolero

Postby Puff » Wed Jul 16, 2008 1:22 pm

I'd like to see the ordinance for the submitted pics changed to allow side dishes and whatnot to be allowed in the pic with said big hunk of meat and/or other category. :D
nascarchuck USER_AVATAR
nascarchuck
Retired Lawman

Postby nascarchuck » Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:01 pm

Puff wrote:I'd like to see the ordinance for the submitted pics changed to allow side dishes and whatnot to be allowed in the pic with said big hunk of meat and/or other category. :D

Hate to disagree with ya Puff, but I differ on that one. I feel that sides on the plate takes the focus away from the meat that is being presented.

Just my 2 cents.
Chuck

http://cookinwithchuck.blogspot.com - Updated 01/10/10

puff USER_AVATAR
Puff
Bandolero

Postby Puff » Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:33 pm

nascarchuck wrote:
Puff wrote:I'd like to see the ordinance for the submitted pics changed to allow side dishes and whatnot to be allowed in the pic with said big hunk of meat and/or other category. :D

Hate to disagree with ya Puff, but I differ on that one. I feel that sides on the plate takes the focus away from the meat that is being presented.

Just my 2 cents.

Point well taken Chuck. :wink:
I just thought with the addition of sides would enhance the presentation.
Kind of like putting lettuce in a box for a competition.
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Wed Jul 16, 2008 5:08 pm

Puff wrote:
nascarchuck wrote:

Just my 2 cents.

Point well taken Chuck. :wink:
I just thought with the addition of sides would enhance the presentation.
Kind of like putting lettuce in a box for a competition.

Puffs point is sharp! I personally wouldn't be opposed to have meat sitting on a bed of lettuce or curly parsley or what ever else they allow in sanctioned comps meaning that salads with maters, onions and like wouldn't be cool.
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
jamesb USER_AVATAR
JamesB
Retired Lawman

Postby JamesB » Wed Jul 16, 2008 5:13 pm

nascarchuck wrote:

Just my 2 cents.

I'm voting with Chuck... I'm not a fan of all the garnish and stuff. If you want to do complete plate contest, that is one thing, but a BBQ contest should be about the meat.

Maybe there should be a BBQ side category... that is where the salad belongs. :shock:

James.
osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

Postby OSD » Wed Jul 16, 2008 6:19 pm

I agree with the no garnish. ( not all comps allow garnish ) If you want to include garnish or sides then it would go into Anything Goes category like it does now.
Same for the description, I don't think that is needed. The whole idea is to judge the pic not a description. :D JMHO
Jim
copkid USER_AVATAR
copkid
Chuck Wagon

Postby copkid » Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:31 pm

OSD wrote:I agree with the no garnish. ( not all comps allow garnish ) If you want to include garnish or sides then it would go into Anything Goes category like it does now.
Same for the description, I don't think that is needed. The whole idea is to judge the pic not a description. :D JMHO

I'm not saying there should be a big description of the food presented, but when I entered potato wedges in the 'Anything Goes' category, nobody knew what they were. That category can be wide open, so maybe we need to add a sides or veggies section.
Laura

In Valor, There is Hope
-Tacitus

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulders, and your hand over my mouth!
osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

Postby OSD » Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:04 am

Let me first say that I am not saying this to offend anyone or anyone's pics and that this is just my opinion. :D

The Throwdowns are a photo contest and are judged by the members of the forum. They pick which photo is the best or most appealing to them in each category and then in the final run-off for Throwdown Champ.

I look at it this way, If I see a pic that is appealing to look at and it makes me say to myself " I would like to eat that or try that ", that's what counts. I may not know exactly what cut of meat it is or what's in the side dish, but it is what appealed to my senses when I saw it. :D Adding a description is almost a mote point, either you like what you see in the pic or you don't. :D Telling me what it is isn't going to change that.:D

OK, I have now gone and put on my flame suit. :D :lol: :lol:
Jim
paulr USER_AVATAR
Paulr
Rustler

Postby Paulr » Fri Jul 18, 2008 4:06 am

Hi OSD, I'll join you in your going up in flames... :shock:
It is a photo contest (although would luuuv to have a chance to eat some of that good stuff I see in the throw downs). If you need a description with the photo it is probably not going to be a winner.. (WT@ is that... Oh it's described as a piece of charred rib eye??) :P

Cook a great hunk of meat make a nice photo and enter...winner!

PS I made a mistake of entering meat with potatoes in the picture (was moved to the anything goes) and I can see the point of having just the type of meat in the photo (well maybe on a plate)....
See Me, Feel Me, Touch Me, Beer Me.
Visit the new Australian BBQ Blog: http://www.aussiebbq.info/wp
puff USER_AVATAR
Puff
Bandolero

Postby Puff » Sun Aug 10, 2008 3:11 pm

Here's kind of what I meant.
Which looks better? Pic #1 or pic#2.?
We've all seen a brisket with a great smoke ring juicy as all get out, chicken with crispy skin (hard to tell from a pic), pork butt cooked to tender flavorful goodness, or some ribs cooked till just the very moment they could be fallin' off the bone. I cook quite a bit of Q.(Lots of experimenting) Some great and some the dog won't even eat. Every cook I do I put my heart and soul into wheather the outcome is good or not. Sometimes I grab the camera and share some pics with others, and other times I just keep it to myself.
To me the finished plate of "yeah I'd eat that" closes the circle on a really great day of cooking.
-Puff

datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Sun Aug 10, 2008 3:31 pm

Sauce does look better on meat than in a bottle :roll: :lol: 8)
Deputy Dave

jamesb USER_AVATAR
JamesB
Retired Lawman

Postby JamesB » Sun Aug 10, 2008 3:37 pm

Puff, the plated food does indeed look great, but I'm still voting on a meat only contest...

Return to “TBBQF Throw Downs”