Thermometer Placement

Everything Grilled. We LOVE pictures.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

nascarchuck USER_AVATAR
nascarchuck
Retired Lawman

Thermometer Placement

Postby nascarchuck » Sat Apr 21, 2007 12:08 am

I have a cheepie digital thermometer and have been using it on steaks. I am sticking the probe through the side of the steak and going in almost all of the depth of the probe. Thermometer was cheap enough that it didn't come with any instructions. :shock:

Am I doing this correctly? I am also placing the probe in at the start of the cook and using it throught the cook.

When we do steaks, I buy them at Sams and I am getting Top Sirloins that are a good inch or so thick.
Chuck

http://cookinwithchuck.blogspot.com - Updated 01/10/10

bigwheel
Outlaw

Postby bigwheel » Sat Apr 21, 2007 12:32 am

Hey I got hold of some of them choice sirloins from Sams here while back myself. Was some mighty fine vittles. Nice and thick just as described. I just have the el cheapo instant read analog gauge from Wally World and whut I do it is hold the meat with tongs..drag it off the fire and run it in there sideways aka lengthwise..crossways etc. Have noticed if you check it while still on the fire it will register the heat from the coals and aint real accurate cuz the entire stalk of the gauge is apparently heat sensitive. Since I been using this technique aint had a steak which was not acceptable. I bring em to 150 cuz we are skerred of worms and dont like cold bloody meat ect. Hot pink center is whut my crew likes and 150 come close to that goal. I just poke it occasionally..dont leave it in the whole time cuz it would melt etc.

bigwheel
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Sat Apr 21, 2007 10:34 am

When grilling steaks I use the eye-ball method. Sear on both sides then on the plate. BTW, wife don't like that way so I start hers about 20 minutes before mine. That's the shoe leather technique. :lol:
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
puff USER_AVATAR
Puff
Bandolero

Postby Puff » Sat Apr 21, 2007 6:24 pm

If you like them "medium rare". Take your hand and put it straight out. Tuck your thumb a little in to your index finger and push down on that little blob of skin at the bottom. Push there and push on de steak. Medium rare every time :wink:

Return to “Grillin and Chillin”