Burgers for dinner

Everything Grilled. We LOVE pictures.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

JamesB
Retired Lawman

Postby JamesB » Fri Jun 13, 2008 11:08 am

aks801 wrote:Good info as always, JamesB.

So: the ground chuck that you do is superior to the store-bought, I'm assuming?

Does the vertical stuffer work as at attachment to the grinder, or is it a stand-alone unit?

Well I think it is superior! :lol: The store bought stuff is, or used to be, double ground in order to mix the fat/lean better. I only ground this stuff once with a fairly course plate. It had better flavor and texture as far I as was concerned.

As for the vertical stuffer, it is a stand alone unit. Here is a link to the one I've got.

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/ ... _200308623
JamesB
Retired Lawman

Postby JamesB » Fri Jun 13, 2008 11:11 am

JaCK2U2 wrote:Looks real good, James. Can't beat grinding your own - did you add any spices while grinding? I'll do that sometimes, if I'm not saving any for anything else later. I cast another vote for more better than OK!

I did not add any spices during the grind, but I have in the past. I added salt, pepper and garlic to the meat and mixed before making patties tho...

James.
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Fri Jun 13, 2008 6:35 pm

JB does that stuffer have metal gears or plastic?
tarde venientibus ossa....
JamesB
Retired Lawman

Postby JamesB » Fri Jun 13, 2008 7:27 pm

Papa Tom wrote:JB does that stuffer have metal gears or plastic?

The 5lber has nylon gears and the 15lber has metal. I thought about the gears when I bought it, but I got it on sale and I could not justify the additional $$ at the time... I think the gears are fine as long as you don't try to stuff overly cured meats that have hardened up into casings...

I do, however, wish I had bought the 15lber for pure convenience if nothing else.
bigwheel
Outlaw

Postby bigwheel » Fri Jun 13, 2008 8:10 pm

Well old Big Dave got me to using the food processor for disassembling that chuck. Works purty good and not quite as much hassle as getting most grinders fready to rip. All it take is the knife blade. Cube up the meat and run it on through about a handful at a time. When it looks about right dump it in a bowl and run another handful through it. You can knock out 4 or 5 lbs quicker than a minner can swim a dipper. Sorta shreds it. Little different mouf feel than a grinder. Works great for chili meat. Come to find out thats one reason why he whups us so regular. It the secrect grind with the food processor.

bigwheel

Return to “Grillin and Chillin”