Qustion on the reverse sear

Everything Grilled. We LOVE pictures.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

Delaware Smoker
Bandolero

Qustion on the reverse sear

Postby Delaware Smoker » Sun Apr 27, 2008 10:12 pm

It's suppose to rain tomorrow,my day off.Planing on cooking a london broil.Would it be best to smoke it or use the grill,& do indrect?I've read the posts on using the reverse sear,but want to make sure I got it right.I cook the LB. to 100 degrees,then put it in a pan till about 135.Do you do the searing right on the grill,putting the pan right over the coals?
Bill
Down Yonder BBQ
Rustler

Postby Down Yonder BBQ » Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:03 am

Here is one ya might want to try. Put your L.B. on the cooker until it reaches about 100-125. Pull away from the grates and drop the L.B. directly into the coal bed and cover with other hot coals. Leave in the bed for about 10 miniutes, then remove return to the grill and cook the internal temp to desired likeness of meat..................
It's not burnt till I say so
tx sandman USER_AVATAR
TX Sandman
Outlaw

Re: Qustion on the reverse sear

Postby TX Sandman » Mon Apr 28, 2008 3:43 am

Delaware Smoker wrote:I cook the LB. to 100 degrees,then put it in a pan till about 135.Do you do the searing right on the grill,putting the pan right over the coals?

What I do is sear right over the coals, no pan. Other than that, it sounds about right. I haven't done reverse-sear with LB yet, but that's how I do it with other cuts.

As for smoke vs indirect, I would do indirect. But then, I'm usually trying to get food on the table for kids, so I go for faster cooks.

Good luck, Bill!
Rob - TX Sandman
Midnight Blue Smokers BBQ Team

"...grilling is fun and tasty, but it isn't brain surgery and the patient won't die if you mess up."
Steven Raichlen
osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

Postby OSD » Mon Apr 28, 2008 6:15 am

Bill, to get the most out of it, it needs to be a thick cut of meat. Like Rob said go indirect til 100* internal then sear right on the grate direct. 135* will be about med when done because of the heat carry over. I usually pull mine at 120*, but I like mine rare to med rare. :D
Jim
bowhnter USER_AVATAR
bowhnter
Chuck Wagon

Postby bowhnter » Mon Apr 28, 2008 6:54 am

I agree, indirect until 100*-110* (at 275-300*), then remove the meat, let the coals get nice and hot, back on direct over the coals searing on both sides until 135-140*. Like Jim says it will carry over several * while resting.

Let us know how it turns out!

DYB...I have not tried to cook anything directly on top of the coals (Intentionally anyway! :lol: )
Mike

Primo Oval XL
Grilla Silverbac
Weber 26”, 22”, and Jumbo Joe
Weber Genesis
Ooni Pro Pizza oven
Blackstone 22 and 36
Delaware Smoker
Bandolero

Postby Delaware Smoker » Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:29 am

OSD,so are you saying that the reverse sear,won't do well with a 2.5 LB.?
Bill
bowhnter USER_AVATAR
bowhnter
Chuck Wagon

Postby bowhnter » Mon Apr 28, 2008 9:13 am

You should be good with that London Broil. I do 2-3 lb tri-tips all the time.
Mike

Primo Oval XL
Grilla Silverbac
Weber 26”, 22”, and Jumbo Joe
Weber Genesis
Ooni Pro Pizza oven
Blackstone 22 and 36
osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

Postby OSD » Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:03 am

No, not saying that. What I meant was that thickness not weight is a factor. Thicker cuts, 1" or thicker do better than thinner cuts of meat. :D On a thinner cut that is already up to 100* internal, it's very hard to sear at the higher temp without it getting too done. The higher heat will cook into the center of the meat while searing on thinner cuts. :D
Jim

Return to “Grillin and Chillin”