Everything Grilled. We LOVE pictures.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Re: Dreaming of Malcolm tonight LOL

Postby Rambo » Wed Feb 10, 2021 11:30 am

OldUsedParts wrote:
Rambo wrote:Kinda like a Guy that was bragging that he had never missed a shot on a Deer:

Hee Haw Donkey (2).jpg

It happens to all of us. I've seen your cook'n and it's great. I'll chalk this up to machine malfunction.
norway joe USER_AVATAR
Norway Joe
Chuck Wagon

Postby Norway Joe » Wed Feb 10, 2021 12:30 pm

Those who never fail seldom accomplish much.

Sent fra min SM-G988B via Tapatalk
Instagram: Norway_joe1
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Wed Feb 10, 2021 3:29 pm

Norway Joe wrote:Those who never fail seldom accomplish much.

Joe, once you see what I fixed for Lunch today, you'll see just how Hilarious that remark is. Thanks, Pal :tup:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
norway joe USER_AVATAR
Norway Joe
Chuck Wagon

Postby Norway Joe » Thu Feb 11, 2021 12:23 am

:laughing7:

Sent fra min SM-G988B via Tapatalk
Instagram: Norway_joe1
mike243
Wrangler

Postby mike243 » Thu Feb 11, 2021 6:15 am

Looks like it had a grease fire/ temp spike, that's the only time I have come close to burning something on mine, had too much chicken and was on a time line, my fault for not allowing enuf time and tried to ramp the temp up
PB AustinLX, Weber Performer, Weber E310 , 250g trailer pit , 36" cowboy grill, bunch of other ways to burn food.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Thu Feb 11, 2021 8:48 am

mike243 wrote:Looks like it had a grease fire/ temp spike, that's the only time I have come close to burning something on mine, had too much chicken and was on a time line, my fault for not allowing enuf time and tried to ramp the temp up

Must have been, Mike, they were in a pan that was sealed with foil - - - - ?what's the flame up temp for bacon fat and butter :?: :?: :dont: :scratch: :banghead: :banghead:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:21 am

A characteristic of pellet cookers when it is cold out and especially if it is windy the thing has to burn more fuel to keep the temp.
This will cause the surface temp @ the grill level to be extra hot especially around the edges where the heat flows up.
This can also increase the chance for grease fires.

Remedies:
Thermal blanket, I use a welders blanket.
Do not set the cook temp any higher than you would on a good day.
Use a good long "Smoke" time and braise (covered) time.
Uncover to create the crisp crust.

I also have that griddle mod on mine that helps maintain and spread the heat and prevent some of the issues.
tarde venientibus ossa....
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:38 am

Thanks, Papa Tom, I was really hoping to get your comments on this, especially since I have a Pit Boss and you have helped "us" so much ever since I bought it. I'll be looking into these items as we get more into Spring weather. :tup:

Thanks again, Sir :salut:

P.S. FWIW, I used almost 2 hoppers full of Apple Pellets in 4.5 hrs trying to maintain 275- - - - it really turned out going from 240 to 305 over and over again because I was jockeying with the P setting :banghead: I wish I had been content with the lower temps and let the time just be longer. :banghead:
GTR
Bandolero

Postby GTR » Thu Feb 11, 2021 12:01 pm

Bacon grease has a flashpoint of 626* and a smoke point around 450*. Butter's smoke point is just over 300*. At 305* the butter solids were burning. The unclarified butter and high temp may have been the issue. :dont: Like frying in old oil.
"The days I keep my expectations low and my gratitude high, I have really good days."
Ray Wylie Hubbard
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Thu Feb 11, 2021 12:38 pm

:tup: yup dat wuz probably the culprit :whiteflag:

Return to “Grillin and Chillin”