Smoker box or smoker tube for gas grill

Everything Grilled. We LOVE pictures.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

jm88
Pilgrim

Smoker box or smoker tube for gas grill

Postby jm88 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:25 pm

First of all, I know neither are the same as a smoker but that is all I have right now! I just upgraded to a Weber gas grill from a Char Broil and love how sturdy it and how easy the stainless grates are to clean. That Char Broil cooked well but it had this big trough below the grates and it would warp so easily and I had to keep replacing it. One thing I liked is that I could just throw some wood chips on it and it would produce some smoke for a 15-20 minutes just enough to get a little flavor in some chicken or whatever I was cooking. Anyways, I was looking to get an actual box to use with this grill but then ran across smoker tubes that hold pellets instead and was wondering your experience between the two. Which one works better or produces smoke longer? I would also like something that can last longer so I can use it when making ribs or a whole chicken. Anyways, if you guys have used either, let me know how they work.
strength_and_pow
Cowboy

Re: Smoker box or smoker tube for gas grill

Postby strength_and_pow » Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:43 pm

Amazen Smoke Tube for the win. Short tube goes for about 4 hours, the longer about double, the maze even longer. Lot of variety in the pellets. 30-45 seconds in the microwave will make sure the pellets are nice and dry. I use a propane torch to get them going good. I used a tube on a gasser for a good bit before fully falling down the rabbit hole. The tube works great to cold smoke cheese as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
txsmkmstr USER_AVATAR
txsmkmstr
Bandolero

Postby txsmkmstr » Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:18 pm

I'll echo the above however either will work. I was using a cast iron tray with chips (unsoaked naturally) but you had to refill about halfway thru the cook. Heck, I don't even think the AmazingTube was available back then. :salut:
Custom LSG 24x40 - 36" Blackstone - (others - R & O FatGirl, ETSC RK-250, Tejas 1628 - all sold)
jm88
Pilgrim

Postby jm88 » Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:16 pm

Thanks for the advice. I didn't know about the maze but the tube is probably enough for me. The most I would do is probably ribs but if I need it longer I suppose it can be refilled. Does it still work if you put a small amount in the tube and not fill it? I used to throw a few chips on just when cooking some chicken or something that only takes 15-20 minutes.
jm88
Pilgrim

Postby jm88 » Wed Apr 01, 2020 1:44 am

One more question on using smoke for ribs:

Do you need smoke the entire time, or if smoke runs out after 4 hours and they are not done yet, is it fine to continue without adding more pellets?
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:01 am

jm88 wrote:One more question on using smoke for ribs:

Do you need smoke the entire time, or if smoke runs out after 4 hours and they are not done yet, is it fine to continue without adding more pellets?

If you are going to wrap that would end the smoke for me. If you are going the whole time open I would probably smoke the whole time.
If you find it is too much then adjust accordingly the next time.
Always remember slow and steady wins the race.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:55 am

Brother KAM distributing knowledge this morning. :salut:
jm88
Pilgrim

Postby jm88 » Wed Apr 01, 2020 1:49 pm

k.a.m. wrote:
jm88 wrote:One more question on using smoke for ribs:

If you are going to wrap that would end the smoke for me. If you are going the whole time open I would probably smoke the whole time.
If you find it is too much then adjust accordingly the next time.

In this case, I should probably get the maze then I can go as short or as long as I want. The only advantage I read about the tube was that it was better at higher altitudes but I am at sea level. Thank you for your input.

Return to “Grillin and Chillin”