grillatarian USER_AVATAR
Grillatarian
Rustler

Postby Grillatarian » Sat Mar 08, 2008 8:32 pm

Sockeye for da Grill -

Rubbed royal-

And put to flame!

Nuttin' left but an empty plate!!!!! 8)

Note to Jim. Thanks for the inpsiration & recipe! I had some techincal difficulties, but probably due to my first time with this. The finished product was a bit salty and had to remove some of the rub/glaze. I noticed that the rub had slurried before I put them on the grill, so not much shook off.
This also was Sockeye, which has a pretty salty background to start with, so that might have added to it. Next batch I will probably cut back a tad on the salt and don't let them set as long. I had them out for about an hour. Like I said, my lahrnin' curve..... :D Still came out mighty tasty! Looking forward to the next catch!
"I don't always smoke meat, but when I do...I use a drum. Stay hungry my friends!"
tx sandman USER_AVATAR
TX Sandman
Outlaw

Postby TX Sandman » Sun Mar 09, 2008 12:01 am

Looks like a great round of fish, Grill! I've learned the hard way to go easy on salt. Like they say, it's easy to add more, but hard to get less.

SteerCrazy wrote:you have a recipe you're gonna use Sandman for that fried chicken??

Recipe is from here: Buttermilk-Cornmeal Fried Chicken

I'll post results and pics in another thread. Let's just say it wasn't as bad as I expected, but we definitely learned or remembered a few things for next time. Mostly about timing and when to start cooking the stuff.
Rob - TX Sandman
Midnight Blue Smokers BBQ Team

"...grilling is fun and tasty, but it isn't brain surgery and the patient won't die if you mess up."
Steven Raichlen
osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

Postby OSD » Sun Mar 09, 2008 5:37 am

Sure do look good. :D :D Sorry it was a bit salty. :scratch: That recipe is the one I use. I got it from Honu41. :) I do know if you use reg salt instead of Kosher or Sea salt it would come out a lot saltier. Also when measuring the brown sugar, be sure to pack it tight in the measuring cup. :dont:

Went back and looked at the pics again. The rub doesn't look like it was mixed together real good. And it may have been on a little thick. :dont: It's hard to tell from the pics, so I guessing a little. :D
Jim
bowhnter USER_AVATAR
bowhnter
Chuck Wagon

Postby bowhnter » Sun Mar 09, 2008 7:47 am

Looks great thoughI I had been making the mistake of buying the fresh atlantic salmon....will definately try the sockeye next go around.
Mike

Primo Oval XL
Grilla Silverbac
Weber 26”, 22”, and Jumbo Joe
Weber Genesis
Ooni Pro Pizza oven
Blackstone 22 and 36
grillatarian USER_AVATAR
Grillatarian
Rustler

Postby Grillatarian » Sun Mar 09, 2008 9:00 am

OSD wrote:Sure do look good. :D :D Sorry it was a bit salty. :scratch: That recipe is the one I use. I got it from Honu41. :) I do know if you use reg salt instead of Kosher or Sea salt it would come out a lot saltier. Also when measuring the brown sugar, be sure to pack it tight in the measuring cup. :dont:

Went back and looked at the pics again. The rub doesn't look like it was mixed together real good. And it may have been on a little thick. :dont: It's hard to tell from the pics, so I guessing a little. :D

I think a lot of this was my inexperience with the rub. I should have let the salmon come a bit more to room temp..... then give them a good patting down to soak up the surface moisture. Just that alone would have let the rub rest a bit easier on the surface.
You're right about the mixing. I used a hand wisk and it didn't quite blend as evenly as I would have liked. Next time I will try putting it through a little blade on a food processor to produce finer blend. Sea salt was used and I did pack the brown sugar.... (my ever watchful misses told me to :wink: ).
It was not bad, but I know it can be better. Got a bronze this time, will go for the gold on the next round. :D
"I don't always smoke meat, but when I do...I use a drum. Stay hungry my friends!"
honu41
Outlaw

Postby honu41 » Sun Mar 09, 2008 9:29 am

Aloha Grillatarian,

Great pics. I thought the rub looked familiar :lol: Jim, mahalo for sharing.... it is so simple and taste great. Jim's comments are right on the "kini popo" (on the money). The larger grained sea salt takes longer to infuse while regular salt just melts in quickly.

No need to get the machinery out to mix, I just use a spoon. And spread it more evenly and it will be "mo' bettah." Some rub will remain on the thinner part of the salmon... you can just brush or shake it off.

Bowhnter, I have used farmed atlantic salmon with the recipe and it is still very good. Any difference in the taste is minimal. Sockeye is deeper colored and maybe more oily than atlantic salmon.

Have a great day and keep on Q'ing! 8)
honu41

Return to “Grillin and Chillin”