If Festus Haggan were Cooking

Everything Grilled. We LOVE pictures.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

boots USER_AVATAR
Boots
Wordsmith

Re: If Festus Haggan were Cooking

Postby Boots » Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:00 pm

Festus was in several John Wayne movies as well (he was John Ford's son in law), and played a key role in The Searchers as the lovelorn Ranger Charlie that went, "HAWW HAWW HAWW".

He could ride a bit too, and was lead singer for the Sons of the Pioneers on the classic Ghost Riders in the Sky. What a life! "Now... Matthewwwww."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ken_Curtis
BE WELL, BUT NOT DONE
Hank: "Do you know how to jumpstart a man's heart with a downed power line?"
Bobby: "No."
Hank: "Well, there's really no wrong way to do it."
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:15 pm

Boots wrote: and was lead singer for the Sons of the Pioneers on the classic Ghost Riders in the Sky.

Hey Boots, back in 1975 I had decided to move my Family back to Texas from Black Forest Colorado East of Colorado Springs. The very day that we had the U-Haul Truck loaded and were leaving I was speaking with a neighbor down the road and out of the blue she mentioned that they were having an outdoor cookout the next weekend and had planned on inviting us. Well, the Wife and I thanked her anyhow and just as we were loading up to get on the road she hollered. "Too Bad, because Ken Curtis and some of the remaining Sons of the Pioneers will be here" :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
smoking piney USER_AVATAR
Smoking Piney
Outlaw

Postby Smoking Piney » Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:57 pm

OUP, I would crush a plateful of those dogs. :cheers:
John - Hopelessly addicted to smoking and grilling. :D
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Wed Mar 27, 2019 5:27 am

Smoking Piney wrote:OUP, I would crush a plateful of those dogs. :cheers:

I totally agree!
(Insert witty signature here)
boots USER_AVATAR
Boots
Wordsmith

Postby Boots » Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:08 am

OldUsedParts wrote:
Boots wrote: and was lead singer for the Sons of the Pioneers on the classic Ghost Riders in the Sky.

Hey Boots, back in 1975 I had decided to move my Family back to Texas from Black Forest Colorado East of Colorado Springs. The very day that we had the U-Haul Truck loaded and were leaving I was speaking with a neighbor down the road and out of the blue she mentioned that they were having an outdoor cookout the next weekend and had planned on inviting us. Well, the Wife and I thanked her anyhow and just as we were loading up to get on the road she hollered. "Too Bad, because Ken Curtis and some of the remaining Sons of the Pioneers will be here" :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Egad, the timing... The tragedies and triumphs of life, the misses and the hits abound. When I was a kid in the Tom Landry heyday, I was at a political barbecue for Dolph Briscoe over in Tarrant County at the old Ross Downs racetrack. Roger Staubach was there and I was going around looking for autographs on my football, but never found him. Did get Lee Roy Jordan, Diron and Don Talbert, Mike Ditka, Ron Widby, a couple others I think, but not Roger the Dodger. Still have that silly football somewhere...
BE WELL, BUT NOT DONE
Hank: "Do you know how to jumpstart a man's heart with a downed power line?"
Bobby: "No."
Hank: "Well, there's really no wrong way to do it."
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:02 pm

Even the close misses leave good memories, eh, Mr. Boots ?

However, the look I got from the Wife when I turned to utter a ?possible move delay? was in need of no words so I put on my Snowman attitude and went "southbound and down" Texas way that is. :D
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"

Return to “Grillin and Chillin”