London Boil

Everything Grilled. We LOVE pictures.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Mon Feb 18, 2008 4:27 pm

copkid wrote:Larry,
If I were to do this in the oven, how would you or anyone else recommend doing it? If you could see our weather right now, you would understand my asking about an indoor method. :cry:
Should I marinate for a couple of hours? I bought a fairly nice 2# top round.

Do you happen to have wood-stove or fireplace? :idea: :tool: :smokin: 4 years ago the Mrs & I were living in a cabin built in the woods on top of a mountain. Then it started snowing one day. By the time the storm moved out we got 7 1/2 feet of snow over 36 hours. No power or phone for days. Only source of heat was a wood stove (propane furnace uses electricity to run the blower). Ended up cooking on the woodstove using cast iron cookware. 8)
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
copkid USER_AVATAR
copkid
Chuck Wagon

Postby copkid » Mon Feb 18, 2008 4:45 pm

Larry Wolfe wrote:
OSD wrote:Laura, I would put it in a shallow roasting pan with a rack in it to keep it up out of the juices. Rub it as you would to go on the grill. Cook it to the internal temp ( 100* ) wanted at a low oven temp ( 250* ) and then put it under the broiler to sear it on both sides. :D :D

Yep pretty much like John has said. Only thing I would do differently is I'd sear in a cast iron skillet vs. the broiler. The broiler will work, I just like the pan better. If you use a rub high in sugar go the broiler route and NOT the pan route.

One more thing. London broils in the grocery store are 95% of the time top round. That cut is very lean so becareful and do not overcook. 130* with a good rest before slicing is as far as I'd take it or it will be tough. Also, slice thinly. If you can't find a London broil a nice this sirloin is a good substitute.

Okay,
I have a Calphalon cast iron grill skillet. Would that work in keeping the meat out of the juices while cooking at 250*? Then a quick sear on broil?
Laura

In Valor, There is Hope
-Tacitus

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulders, and your hand over my mouth!
larry wolfe USER_AVATAR
Larry Wolfe
Cowboy

Postby Larry Wolfe » Mon Feb 18, 2008 4:50 pm

copkid wrote:
Larry Wolfe wrote:
OSD wrote:Laura, I would put it in a shallow roasting pan with a rack in it to keep it up out of the juices. Rub it as you would to go on the grill. Cook it to the internal temp ( 100* ) wanted at a low oven temp ( 250* ) and then put it under the broiler to sear it on both sides. :D :D

Yep pretty much like John has said. Only thing I would do differently is I'd sear in a cast iron skillet vs. the broiler. The broiler will work, I just like the pan better. If you use a rub high in sugar go the broiler route and NOT the pan route.

One more thing. London broils in the grocery store are 95% of the time top round. That cut is very lean so becareful and do not overcook. 130* with a good rest before slicing is as far as I'd take it or it will be tough. Also, slice thinly. If you can't find a London broil a nice this sirloin is a good substitute.

Okay,
I have a Calphalon cast iron grill skillet. Would that work in keeping the meat out of the juices while cooking at 250*? Then a quick sear on broil?

If it is "ovensafe" cook the steak in the oven on the grill skillet. When it hits 100* take the steak off the pan and tent with foil and leave the pan in the oven and turn the oven up to 450*, let the skillet get hot, then remove from oven and just sear on both sides till done. The pan should be hot enough out of the oven to where you don't need to add anymore heat to it.
Larry Wolfe
---------------------

Visit The Wolfe Pit

Return to “Grillin and Chillin”