Culottesteak

Everything Grilled. We LOVE pictures.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

fishwater_98 USER_AVATAR
fishwater_98
Pilgrim

Re: Culottesteak

Postby fishwater_98 » Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:26 pm

Joernolav wrote:So cilantro is the leaves and coriander is the seeds from the same plant?

Sent fra min SM-N950F via Tapatalk

Correct
instagram: me_llamo_blane
GTR
Bandolero

Postby GTR » Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:04 pm

[quote="Joernolav"]So cilantro is the leaves and coriander is the seeds from the same plant?"

Yes and cumin/cumino is the dried ground cilantro leaves.
It's kind of the pork of herbs-seasoning. Think of ham-butts-bacon, each has it's own flavor and texture. Corainder, cilantro and cumin/cumino differ in flovor.

While most assicated in the states with Tex-Mex it is actually native to Iran and Western Asia.
"The days I keep my expectations low and my gratitude high, I have really good days."
Ray Wylie Hubbard
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:01 pm

Onions & mushrooms are always welcome :lol:
grailsback USER_AVATAR
GRailsback
Chuck Wagon

Postby GRailsback » Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:20 pm

Mushrooms and onions go great with beef for sure. Hopefully Fonzie won’t mind.
david s USER_AVATAR
David S
Rustler

Postby David S » Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:42 pm

Just in case anyone is interested, I wrote up an article about this steak a while back. The article covers how I like to grill these, a video of how the steak is cut from the larger sirloin as well as a few videos from other barbecuers on how they approach this cut.
https://www.bbqdryrubs.com/picanha/

norway joe USER_AVATAR
Norway Joe
Chuck Wagon

Postby Norway Joe » Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:49 pm

David S wrote:Just in case anyone is interested, I wrote up an article about this steak a while back. The article covers how I like to grill these, a video of how the steak is cut from the larger sirloin as well as a few videos from other barbecuers on how they approach this cut.
https://www.bbqdryrubs.com/picanha/

Thank you. That was a very interesting and informative article. Excellent job. I will check it out thoroughly.

Thanks for sharing this.

Instagram: Norway_joe1
norway joe USER_AVATAR
Norway Joe
Chuck Wagon

Postby Norway Joe » Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:10 pm

Ok. Grilled the steak today. This was a new one for me. Seared it on a very hot grill. Turned the summit on full. Seared for ca 2 min on each side. The fatcap maybe got a little burned. Didn't matter. I cut it of anyway when eating.Then turned down the temp to 175 indirect. Pulled when temp was 56. Rested 10-15 min.

The steak was seasoned yesterday with a good amount of sea salt and SB SPG. Rested in the fridge under clingfoil overnight.

Made potato wedges with SPG. Saltbaked onions with some thyme sprinkled over them (new one for me). A bit of pan fried champignons. Also made a chimichurri sauce (also a new one).

Chimichurri was fantastic to the meat. Will be made again. Entire family agreed. The onions turned out good too.

The culotte steak was a very tasty piece of meat.

In other words this was a success in our family.ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sat Feb 02, 2019 3:44 pm

Beautiful Plate of Goodies there, Joe - - - - :tup: :salut: :cheers:
My oldest Son is always trying to get me to try Chimichurri Sauce but I haven't as of yet :dont: :scratch:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
norway joe USER_AVATAR
Norway Joe
Chuck Wagon

Postby Norway Joe » Sat Feb 02, 2019 5:08 pm

Agree with your son. Chimichurri was great. I think its great for all beaf meat.

norway joe USER_AVATAR
Norway Joe
Chuck Wagon

Postby Norway Joe » Sun Feb 03, 2019 1:49 am

GRailsback wrote:Mr Joe, don't forget to cook some mushrooms with the onions. And save some beef for Fonzie.
Made onion and mushrooms but not in the way you thought?

grailsback USER_AVATAR
GRailsback
Chuck Wagon

Postby GRailsback » Sun Feb 03, 2019 2:00 am

Mr Joe, i noticed that whole onion in your post. Don’t tell me you ate the whole thing?
norway joe USER_AVATAR
Norway Joe
Chuck Wagon

Postby Norway Joe » Sun Feb 03, 2019 2:02 am

GRailsback wrote:Mr Joe, i noticed that whole onion in your post. Don’t tell me you ate the whole thing?
Haha. Of course. One each. Sweet and nice after 50 min. In the oven

grailsback USER_AVATAR
GRailsback
Chuck Wagon

Postby GRailsback » Sun Feb 03, 2019 2:10 am

Wow, i like to ring my onions and cook them up with some mushrooms, put some butter on my steak, then top it with the onions and mushrooms. Never in my life have i ate a whole onion like that. Except for a bloomin onion at Outback Steakhouse.
norway joe USER_AVATAR
Norway Joe
Chuck Wagon

Postby Norway Joe » Sun Feb 03, 2019 2:17 am

GRailsback wrote:Wow, i like to ring my onions and cook them up with some mushrooms, put some butter on my steak, then top it with the onions and mushrooms. Never in my life have i ate a whole onion like that. Except for a bloomin onion at Outback Steakhouse.
First time we made onions like that. They fell apart when we started to cut in them. Small soft chunks together with the mushrooms. Actually pretty good.

By the way, I envy the the trailer you have in your profile picture. Looks really cool. We don't have such things here. Hardly any competitions, either.

grailsback USER_AVATAR
GRailsback
Chuck Wagon

Postby GRailsback » Sun Feb 03, 2019 2:27 am

I’ll take a photo the next time i do mushrooms and onions together. I need to find me a small tub of garlic butter as well. I think sooner may have a line on some.

Thank you on the pit, i will send you a PM and tell you the history of how i got there. But i am very proud of it, it is top of the line, and i am in the process of getting it ready to go to the big cookoff at the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo. It’s something I’m not sure any Norwegians should attend. Because from experience ya’ll go mad when you get around cheap or free booze. I’ll tell you that story on the side as well. Worked with a lot of noggy’s in the oilfield. But if you ever want to come over and go to one of the big 4 cookoffs in the country i have you taken care of.
Last edited by GRailsback on Sun Feb 03, 2019 2:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Grillin and Chillin”