Porterhouse: How was this done/can I replicate?

Everything Grilled. We LOVE pictures.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

es330td
Pilgrim

Porterhouse: How was this done/can I replicate?

Postby es330td » Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:54 pm

Many years ago I had dinner at Mesa Grill at Caesar's Palace in Las Vegas. Placing my order for a ribeye I was asked how I liked it cooked. I initially said medium rare and then stopped and said "Actually, I cook pretty good briskets and my favorite part is the rich flavor of the burnt end." The waiter said "I understand what you mean but to do this right you need to do a porterhouse because the ribeye won't take it." I gave the okay.

When the food was brought I had the most amazing piece of meat I have ever eaten. It was very dark and even all the way through but not like the dark of a well done steak. The steak was cooked like it had been slow cooked overnight like a brisket so it was moist and tender but was dark and rich with flavor. The catch is that it was done in the time it takes to cook a normal steak, not slow cooked.

I have two big green eggs and think my skills, both grilling and slow cooking, are decent.

Does anybody have any idea how this can be accomplished?
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Re: Porterhouse: How was this done/can I replicate?

Postby Txdragon » Thu Jan 24, 2019 7:11 pm

A VERY high-powered salamander; probably in the 12-1500 degree range. Bobby Flay doesn't play around when it comes to steaks. Lol! I'm also gonna give props to the waiter: he knew the ribeye was too fatty for this particular method.
(Insert witty signature here)
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:53 am

Even tho I like my Steaks screaming and bleeding THAT SOUNDS AWESOME and I would definitely like to try it :tup: :salut: :cheers:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
fishwater_98 USER_AVATAR
fishwater_98
Pilgrim

Postby fishwater_98 » Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:03 am

very difficult to replicate at home, I was the KM of multiple steak house and dragon is correct, we had large broilers that burned around 18,000 degrees. We would sear them on the flat top of the broiler to get an extra crunchy crust then toss them inside the broiler for a few minutes. Cant do this with the ribeye because of the fat content, all that fat carries heat extra fast and you would end up with a well done steak...with a good crust on the outside. At home the closest I can get is a roaring hot cast iron seared for a few minutes with butter on both sides then thrown in the oven at the 500 for a few more minutes, its not a copy and paste of the restaurant but it'll do the job pretty good.
instagram: me_llamo_blane
gator USER_AVATAR
Gator
Sheriff

Postby Gator » Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:40 am

A lot of steak places cook at 1,500+ degrees, so you need to crank up the BGE as high as you can get it. It wont go that high, but you can still cook a decent steak at home, high heat + timing.
Gator

"I won't tolerate rude behavior" - Woodrow F Call
es330td
Pilgrim

Postby es330td » Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:17 pm

Awesome! Now I have a goal. The Naked Whiz (http://www.nakedwhiz.com/searingtemps.htm) has done some extensive testing and says that the grid temp in an Egg will go to 1200. I always cook my ribeyes at 500-550 but have seen my egg dome temp over 700 when I got distracted with top & bottom wide open. Now that I know it A) can go there and B) won't break if it does I have a project for 2019.
spacetrucker USER_AVATAR
spacetrucker
Chuck Wagon

Postby spacetrucker » Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:39 am

es330td wrote: The Naked Whiz (http://www.nakedwhiz.com/searingtemps.htm)

thats an intereasting read, maybe some day when I wear out my webber kettle( now over 15 years)I will look toward a ceramic..
Don't count every day, Make every day Count
Good Cue to ya..
Vernon

FEC-100
Webber kettle 22"
Webber genesis
Blackstone pizza oven

Return to “Grillin and Chillin”