Disappointing ribs

Everything Grilled. We LOVE pictures.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

norway joe USER_AVATAR
Norway Joe
Chuck Wagon

Disappointing ribs

Postby Norway Joe » Sat Jun 09, 2018 1:58 pm

Made some ribs today. Felt by the look that they would be great, but they where not tender. I don't make ribs very often. How do you cook them to make them tender? Had some homemade cheese dressing and red onions cooked in oil, sugar and white vine and coleslaw.The onions was great, however.ImageImageImage

Sent fra min SM-N950F via Tapatalk
Instagram: Norway_joe1
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Re: Disappointing ribs

Postby OldUsedParts » Sat Jun 09, 2018 2:22 pm

what was your time and temp on those ribs? looks like there's not enuff pull back on the bone tips but that's just a guess - - - if I'm looking for tenderness in ribs then I wrap in the middle of the cooking process. 2-2-1 on baby backs is a good start
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
norway joe USER_AVATAR
Norway Joe
Chuck Wagon

Re: RE: Re: Disappointing ribs

Postby Norway Joe » Sat Jun 09, 2018 2:31 pm

OldUsedParts wrote:what was your time and temp on those ribs? looks like there's not enuff pull back on the bone tips but that's just a guess - - - if I'm looking for tenderness in ribs then I wrap in the middle of the cooking process. 2-2-1 on baby backs is a good start
I had them on the grill for good two hours, about 100 Celsius indirect heat.What do you mean with 2-2-1?

oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sat Jun 09, 2018 2:35 pm

to me 2 hours isn't near long enuff to properly smoke pork ribs - - - - take a look at this link and you'll see what I mean - - - the tenderizing he mentions is the 2 hrs wrapped in foil on the Pit
http://blog.armadillopepper.com/2013/09 ... -1-method/

HERE'S a link on a rack of BBs I did last week and they were fall off of the bone super tender (actually too tender for me but as you'll see it was the Wife's request - - Happy Wife Happy Life)

viewtopic.php?f=25&t=31904
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
norway joe USER_AVATAR
Norway Joe
Chuck Wagon

Postby Norway Joe » Sat Jun 09, 2018 2:53 pm

Thank you. I will try that next time. I liked the part with beer in the foil. Can pour in some homebrewed beer, maybe a German altbier style.

oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sat Jun 09, 2018 3:07 pm

Ya Ya that will be good ;) :tup:
Just remember "Low and Slow" :salut:
limey USER_AVATAR
limey
Deputy

Postby limey » Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:56 pm

Wrapping in foil is called the Texas Crutch, makes everything tender but if left in too long it could turn to mush. I leave the beer for me and put apple juice in the foil but beer if you prefer would work as well. Good luck
How bout some more beans Mr.Taggert? I'd say you've had enough!
R & O Custom Trailer
Weber 22.5 Gold
Weber 22.5 Smoky Mountain
Oklahoma Joe Longhorn Edition
Limey BBQ Co. Competition Team
boots USER_AVATAR
Boots
Wordsmith

Postby Boots » Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:13 pm

Great color on your ribs. I am an 8 hours rib guy, At 200 to 225°F. First, marinate them overnight in a combination of one part teriyaki, one part pineapple juice, one part Bock or dark lager or a Pilsner. Then on cooking day, remove and
Dust with Sucklebusters hog Waller rub. Then cook three hours open to the smoke, then three hours wrapped in foil with a little bock or dark Pilsner or lager, Then two more hours open at the smoke but laying in the juice is in the foil. If you can pick up your rack on one end and it wants to bend at a 90° angle, you know they are pretty tender. Put another way, once the internal temperature hits about 170 degrees Fahrenheit, cook them for about another two hours. They should be very tender.

About an hour before finishing, paint them with a nice glaze of your choosing – I highly recommend suckle busters spicy barbecue sauce or suckle busters honey glaze. McIlheeny’s Tabasco jelly also makes a wonderful glaze. Remove it from the jar and allow it to either warm to room temperature or gently warm it in the microwave, and then paint on your meat.

Photos of last weekend's competition ribs below:
Attachments
BF5970C9-E69A-4737-9427-999BFF43C914.jpeg
3E237B0C-77E4-4251-AF4B-0F153F5B15EF.jpeg
672A7EED-EFA9-4CA3-8635-99116417AE9D.jpeg
BE WELL, BUT NOT DONE
Hank: "Do you know how to jumpstart a man's heart with a downed power line?"
Bobby: "No."
Hank: "Well, there's really no wrong way to do it."
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:23 pm

Pit Master at Work :tup: :salut: :cheers: :texas:
david brace USER_AVATAR
david brace
Wrangler

Postby david brace » Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:35 pm

Those 'disappointing ribs' look great to me, but that's not what happened, apparently. Unfortunate...
They look like BB's to me. I stay away from them because of the lesser amount of meat and the fact that I haven't been too successful in smoking them, as compared to spares. For pares, I do a modification of the 3-2-1 system. I found that on my bullet they get done faster than on the other 2 smokers. So I really do a 2hr35m-1hr35m-30min sequence. They always turn out good this way.
dabertl USER_AVATAR
daBertl
Bandolero

Postby daBertl » Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:55 pm

2 hours is definitely too short if u want them to be tender and fob.
For me it depends what ribs i have. Some ribs i prefer with a kind of stronger bite and some i want to be fob.

So if u want the supertender version, try the 3-2-1 method.

And do not forget to remove the Silverskin or just cut it. This could be also a reason for a non tender rack.
Extra Bavaria non est vita, et si est vita, non est ita.
sailor kenshin USER_AVATAR
Sailor Kenshin
Chuck Wagon

Postby Sailor Kenshin » Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:12 pm

Lookin' at Boots.... :chef:

J, are those spares or baby backs? We have done baby backs in as little as three hours at higher heat and people hoovered them up. Spares go for around 6 BUT each rack is slightly different. Got a Weber kettle and an ECB.

We just did some trimmed spares on theWeber that went as fast as baby backs, though at lower temps. We don't spray or wrap, but sometimes 'lacquer.' We always remove the skin before rubbing. And the bend test is a good indication.

Hope it works for you next time. Sides look gooooood.
Moink!
egghead USER_AVATAR
egghead
Egg Master

Postby egghead » Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:55 pm

I don’t wrap. 240-250 F for 5-1/2 to 6 hours. Done when they pass bend test. Good luck with your next rib cook.
Attachments
5BCED186-DBF5-4F8E-9607-50ED55417D7C.jpeg
25F9857A-7D4C-408C-879A-966ADACFCEB5.jpeg
Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of congress; but I repeat myself - Mark Twain
XL, Small, and Mini BGE
nelsonpk
Pilgrim

Postby nelsonpk » Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:57 am

Hi
I'm a newbie from the UK and love cooking and experimenting with food all the year round. I have a Weber kettle and a weber summit but have just bought a Traeger pro 22 and tried the 3 (smoke)-2 (at 225 in foil)-1 (with sauce and open) recipe for ribs in there book.
The results were much the same as described on this post, they weren't juicy and fall off the bone they were cooked just not what I was expecting any pointers, I convinced the "board of directors" this smoker would be what we needed!!
dabertl USER_AVATAR
daBertl
Bandolero

Postby daBertl » Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:06 am

Did you remove the Silver Skin?
Extra Bavaria non est vita, et si est vita, non est ita.

Return to “Grillin and Chillin”