Everything Grilled. We LOVE pictures.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Re: ABTs in advance ?

Postby OldUsedParts » Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:55 pm

Not to Worry, bs :salut:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
suckaass USER_AVATAR
suckaass
Pilgrim

Postby suckaass » Tue May 01, 2018 12:38 am

Looks like you scraped out the ribs, where most of the heat lies. Perhaps you left more of it intact on the hotter batch?? What's in your filling? I always scrape out the peppers to get most of the heat out then add chipotle powder along with my rub to the cream cheese to get the heat back up to a level that most folks can tolerate. Even still, some turn out a bit hotter than others.
copasspupil USER_AVATAR
Copasspupil
Outlaw

Postby Copasspupil » Mon May 14, 2018 8:27 am

I’m so making these. Btw the heat is in the white spine of the pepper and the degree of heat is in the shape of the pepper. Is the jalapeño pointed or rounded at the end? The pointed ones have more heat.
Danno

'66 GT350S clone
Custom built smoker named Seal Team
Santa Maria Grill names GrumpyD'sBBQ
Weber stainless gas grill when I want to cook a hotdog
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Mon May 14, 2018 8:34 am

One additional thing that I do to keep the heat down is to parboil the cleaned halves for 2 minutes and then quickly wash in cool water. Then I stuff and wrap. :dont: Parboiling also removes a little of the heat and crunchiness of the pepper and makes them easier for some folks to bite thru without getting the filling in their nose. :laughing7:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
david brace USER_AVATAR
david brace
Wrangler

Postby david brace » Mon May 14, 2018 8:41 am

OldUsedParts wrote:One additional thing that I do to keep the heat down is to parboil the cleaned halves for 2 minutes and then quickly wash in cool water. Then I stuff and wrap. :dont: Parboiling also removes a little of the heat and crunchiness of the pepper and makes them easier for some folks to bite thru without getting the filling in their nose. :laughing7:

Gotta say I never heard or thought of this method. I cook them a lot for my firehouse and I always take out all the veins. Another thing I learned from those guys is based on whoever is on duty, some of them can't tolerate much heat... :dont: ...I don't get it. From a buncha FF's and they don't like heat. So I cook them longer and the heat diminishes. I also cook in the oven at the station, so there's a constant temp on them. A minimum 30 minutes to give the heat and almost an hour for the wimpy ABT's. I'm a 45 minute man myself.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Mon May 14, 2018 8:53 am

ol Hook n Ladder Man, eh? Thanks for what Y'all do :salut:
copasspupil USER_AVATAR
Copasspupil
Outlaw

Postby Copasspupil » Mon May 14, 2018 11:10 am

Hey David where are you out of? I'm up in Washington state currently and agree when I cook, I always get a request for no heat from certain departments. Some I just play with by increasing the heat every time I cook. :deadhorse:
Danno

'66 GT350S clone
Custom built smoker named Seal Team
Santa Maria Grill names GrumpyD'sBBQ
Weber stainless gas grill when I want to cook a hotdog

Return to “Grillin and Chillin”