Need 1st Veal Chop "HELP"

Everything Grilled. We LOVE pictures.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Need 1st Veal Chop "HELP"

Postby OldUsedParts » Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:11 am

I decided to Reward myself with a cut that I have never done before and the more I Google and Youtube the more nervous and confused I get.

Therefore, I'm reaching out to Y'all for any and all ideas on how to grill this Bone-in Veal Rib Chop over Kingsford tomorrow :dont: (note: it is 1.5" thick)

I have an ECB OR Kingsford Kettle to work with so Fire Away Y'all.

IMG_0033.JPG

IMG_0010.JPG
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
swamp donkeyz bbq USER_AVATAR
Swamp Donkeyz BBQ
Outlaw

Re: Need 1st Veal Chop "HELP"

Postby Swamp Donkeyz BBQ » Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:16 am

I'd probably us a reverse sear approach.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:22 pm

wonder if I could finagle my ECB to do a reverse sear ???? hmmmm
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
outlaw USER_AVATAR
outlaw
Outlaw

Postby outlaw » Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:37 pm

Snake method for charcoal, sear above the coals??
Bayou Classic Ceramic
PK (Portable Kitchen) Grill
Johnsons Ultimate Compact Patio Smoker
Yoder YS640 Pellet Grill
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:02 pm

I think that's what I'll do and do it on the ECB with the coals about ?what? 8 to 10 inches below grate level???? - - - if I do then it will be 3 firsts for me first Veal Rib Chop, First Reverse Sear and First time Snake Method - - - three pitches to hit a home run - - - why not ? :dont: I also think I'll stick the Maverick probe in it after the sear and go to 145 F - - - does that sound OK to Y'all ?
outlaw USER_AVATAR
outlaw
Outlaw

Postby outlaw » Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:05 pm

OldUsedParts wrote:I think that's what I'll do and do it on the ECB with the coals about ?what? 8 to 10 inches below grate level???? - - - if I do then it will be 3 firsts for me first Veal Rib Chop, First Reverse Sear and First time Snake Method - - - three pitches to hit a home run - - - why not ? :dont: I also think I'll stick the Maverick probe in it after the sear and go to 140 - - - does that sound OK to Y'all ?

Home run on all I'm sure, even the "ra " Oh, never mind. :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
Bayou Classic Ceramic
PK (Portable Kitchen) Grill
Johnsons Ultimate Compact Patio Smoker
Yoder YS640 Pellet Grill
swamp donkeyz bbq USER_AVATAR
Swamp Donkeyz BBQ
Outlaw

Postby Swamp Donkeyz BBQ » Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:16 pm

You could always snake the ECB, for the slow part of the cook, then sear it over a half full chimney of charcoal.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:04 pm

Thanks Gents, I'll let Y'all know if YOUR SUGGESTIONS worked :laughing7: :D :lol:

Wiffy just informed me that we need to go to WallyWorld in the morning so I might be late posting up any type of cook. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR :banghead:
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:08 pm

OldUsedParts wrote:I think that's what I'll do and do it on the ECB with the coals about ?what? 8 to 10 inches below grate level???? - - - if I do then it will be 3 firsts for me first Veal Rib Chop, First Reverse Sear and First time Snake Method - - - three pitches to hit a home run - - - why not ? :dont: I also think I'll stick the Maverick probe in it after the sear and go to 145 F - - - does that sound OK to Y'all ?

Sounds like a plan for sure! Looking forward to pics!!
(Insert witty signature here)
grailsback USER_AVATAR
GRailsback
Chuck Wagon

Postby GRailsback » Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:55 am

Get with Capt Jack, he is a lamb master.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:51 am

I've certainly drooled over Capt'ns pics of some of the Reverse Sears he's done in the past and I think I remember what he said to do, however, this is not from Bo Beep's Bunch, it's VEAL.

I think I'll lightly rub it with Italian Dressing and then sprinkle with Suckle Buster's Campfire Steak Seasoning - - - more later, ?I hope?
grubby USER_AVATAR
Grubby
Pilgrim

Postby Grubby » Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:59 am

Just remember that you are dealing with a little bitty beef rib eye steak. I wouldn't treat it much different that a grown up steak!
"Skin that smoke wagon and see what happens!"
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:24 am

thanks, Grubby, I'm really looking forward to it, even tho it's got me rather nervous - - - I like my Beef Steaks "screaming and bleeding" but I think I'll take this thick cut youngin to between 145 and 150 and keep my fingers crossed

first thing I have to do is take the War Dept to Wallyworld :banghead: :laughing7:
sailor kenshin USER_AVATAR
Sailor Kenshin
Chuck Wagon

Postby Sailor Kenshin » Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:04 am

Veal has next to no internal fat. And extremely delicate flavor...a bit like shrimp on legs. Cook it too fast or high and it will toughen up.

We can't even get veal here any more, but we used to brown it, then braise very very slowly with minimum liquid and chopped vej, something close to Holy Trinity. Then you could eat it with a fork!
Moink!
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:35 pm

OK, Y'all, she's done and down and let me thank each and every one of you for you input. Bottomline is, had I tried to do this like I normally cook a steak then it would have been a major Fail. However, thanks to Y'all, I had a great Lunch with one of the most succulent pieces of meat I have ever grilled and the flavor was awesome. Here's my play by play so I have it on record in case I decide to do this again.

Semi Snake on the Kingsford - thanks Outlaw - worked perfect for this cut of meat :tup: :salut:
IMG_0009.JPG

Let her lie in some Basil and Sun Dried Mater Oil and Suckle Busters Campfire Steak Seasoning for an hour or so.
IMG_0010.JPG

After the Sear - thanks S.D. - I inserted the Maverick Probe -thanks Counselor - and set back and waited.
IMG_0011.JPG

I have NEVER left a Beef Cut over the charcoal for 30 minutes but this was what it took to get to 145 I.T. - - thanks for the tip Sailor
IMG_0013.JPG

IMG_0014.JPG

All worked out in sync and the Baked Sweet Tater and Greens were waiting to join the Veal Chop
IMG_0015.JPG

IMG_0016.JPG

Any Questions ?
IMG_0017.JPG

Return to “Grillin and Chillin”