Early Christmas prep :)

Everything Grilled. We LOVE pictures.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

egghead USER_AVATAR
egghead
Egg Master

Early Christmas prep :)

Postby egghead » Sat Nov 25, 2017 2:42 pm

It’s not too early to get started on Christmas dinner. 12 # bone in prime rib going in the drawer fridge, and yes it is prime :lol:. Thirty day dry age prime rib on the menu. It will be seared on the XL BGE, roasted to about 120, then rested for about 20 minutes.
Attachments
5DAE3E73-1E91-4CD3-8663-6B6A451831F3.jpeg
Day 1
EEDE1E4C-28A1-4001-8A07-9C94099C651B.jpeg
Supported by wrapping two pcs ceramic
F09B5D55-FE87-40C7-92A6-67AA661AE1E1.jpeg
Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of congress; but I repeat myself - Mark Twain
XL, Small, and Mini BGE
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Re: Early Christmas prep :)

Postby OldUsedParts » Sat Nov 25, 2017 2:46 pm

Well, I was going to say Bah Humbug but when I looked at those pics, the only words that seemed appropo was YIKES, WOW and YUM YUM :tup: :salut: :cheers:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
bondobill
Outlaw

Postby bondobill » Sat Nov 25, 2017 3:28 pm

Please tell me about your dry aging process Egg :?: Do you wrap it :?:
I always do Prime Rib for Christmas Day . I normally buy it a couple weeks ahead of time, rewrap, then let it sit in the fridge.

Bill
egghead USER_AVATAR
egghead
Egg Master

Postby egghead » Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:36 pm

I don’t wrap Bill. We have a double drawer fridge in our island. The temp is set to 34 and the prime rib is supported so air can circulate around it in one of the drawers.

I’ll take it out Christmas morning and trim the dried exterior, cut a few steaks from it for later, Salt, put a heavy sear on all sides, roast until 120, then tent and rest for about 20 minutes. It will be on the rare side of medium rare and my oldest son will say it’s overdone :lol:.
Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of congress; but I repeat myself - Mark Twain
XL, Small, and Mini BGE
russ USER_AVATAR
Russ
Chuck Wagon

Postby Russ » Sat Nov 25, 2017 5:20 pm

That's one big beautiful piece of art there, I'm sure you'll work your craft to produce a piece of art. I'm with your son....blue please.
Closest I've come to Christmas is knowing I have a leg of lamb, a turkey breast roast and a roll of pickled pork in the freezer ready for the big day. It's certainly getting closer.

Russ
4 burner q
Honky hangi
Home smoker.

It costs nothing to be nice. A smile goes a long way.
bondobill
Outlaw

Postby bondobill » Sat Nov 25, 2017 5:34 pm

Thanks egg :D
I'm afraid if I tried that in a drawer in our kitchen fridge I'd find that my wife had thrown the roast in the garbage after a couple weeks. :lol:

Does it have to go in a drawer :idea: My beer fridge in the shop doesn't have a drawer but could hold a 18 pounder. ;)

Bill
egghead USER_AVATAR
egghead
Egg Master

Postby egghead » Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:56 pm

Beer fridge is perfect. I’m no expert, but I know I’m good with the fridge temp at 34. I think as long as it is below 40, you’re good.
XL, Small, and Mini BGE
bondobill
Outlaw

Postby bondobill » Sun Nov 26, 2017 12:58 pm

Thanks egg
I usually have the butcher cut off the bones and tie them back on. So how much do you have to cut off after a 30 day age ?
Do you cut the bone off before slicing the roast or slice portions with bone on ?
I can see it would be a lot easier trimming after the aging without having to deal with the strings.

Bill
egghead USER_AVATAR
egghead
Egg Master

Postby egghead » Sun Nov 26, 2017 1:44 pm

I’m guessing I trim an 1/8” to 3/16”. I usually have the bones tied on as well. This is my first time dry aging with the bones. I’ll definitely cut a couple steaks off for another day before putting the prime rib on the BGE. I’m going to try slicing with the bones on but may end up removing.
XL, Small, and Mini BGE

Return to “Grillin and Chillin”