Never been a fan, but

Everything Grilled. We LOVE pictures.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

bondobill
Outlaw

Never been a fan, but

Postby bondobill » Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:50 pm

I picked up a 5 lb boneless pork loin yesterday while I was looking for a chuck roast .
Made up a mean pot roast yesterday in the oven, so today it was on to the pork loin.
Plan was to put it on the pellet but Mother Nature had a different idea. It's been blowing around 30 mph all day and started rainy like a sum of a beach around the time I wanted to start the loin.
Ended up putting the loin indirect on the kettle using Kingsford hickory Briguets.

image.jpeg

Marinated it in some sort of Jamaican sauce :dont:
Will let you know how it comes out
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Re: Never been a fan, but

Postby bsooner75 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:59 pm

Let us know. Jerk and pork is a good combo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
outlaw USER_AVATAR
outlaw
Outlaw

Postby outlaw » Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:30 am

We buy those and slice them into chops and tenderize for my wifes chicken fried pork chops. Really an economical way to get a good piece of meat for frying. Any other way I tried it it ended up being dry due to the lack of fat content. :dont: :dont: :dont:
Bayou Classic Ceramic
PK (Portable Kitchen) Grill
Johnsons Ultimate Compact Patio Smoker
Yoder YS640 Pellet Grill
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:57 am

Pig on the Pit at Wild Bills is all I need to know to get hongrie - - - looks good to me Sir :tup:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
bondobill
Outlaw

Postby bondobill » Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:34 am

It turned out not bad. :D
Cooked the loin to 140 IT.
The sauce went very well with the pork. I was looking to change things up from what sauce I usually use. It was a Caribbean sauce, not a Jamaican. :dont:. A buddy from NC sent me a bottle better then a year ago. Pretty good stuff, would bet it would go really good with yard bird.

Made up a batch of cheesy Scalloped taters to go with the pork.
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Looks like left overs till Thanksgiving :lol:

Thanks all :cheers:
Bill
sailor kenshin USER_AVATAR
Sailor Kenshin
Chuck Wagon

Postby Sailor Kenshin » Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:45 pm

Starving now! :lol:

Looks great. Can I have some? :chef:
Moink!
boots USER_AVATAR
Boots
Wordsmith

Postby Boots » Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:28 pm

Bondo, any sign of the Yukon Express headed yer way yet? Let us know if you see it coming, I still need to winterize my hose bibs.
BE WELL, BUT NOT DONE
Hank: "Do you know how to jumpstart a man's heart with a downed power line?"
Bobby: "No."
Hank: "Well, there's really no wrong way to do it."
bondobill
Outlaw

Postby bondobill » Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:27 pm

Boots wrote:Bondo, any sign of the Yukon Express headed yer way yet? Let us know if you see it coming, I still need to winterize my hose bibs.

No Yukon express yet. Did get about a week of cold weather bout 3 weeks ago. Had maybe 3" of snow.
What we got now is the Pineapple Express. Yesterday was around 43 and got a couple inches of rain. Today we got 60 and freezing level going go up to 9000 feet. Lots of snow in the mountains. Going be lots of snow melt and the rivers are just below flood stage without the melt. Glad I live on a hill :cheers:

Bill
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:56 am

outlaw wrote:We buy those and slice them into chops and tenderize for my wifes chicken fried pork chops. Really an economical way to get a good piece of meat for frying. Any other way I tried it it ended up being dry due to the lack of fat content. :dont: :dont: :dont:

Exactly what I do with the loin as well, and it's perfect for that. The loin chops already packaged up are pricey and almost good for nothing special. Little bitty lean pork steaks cooked hot and fast to about medium. Pound em, batter and fry em and oh boy, you've got a winner!

BB: this looks wonderful! They can turn out pretty tasty if you go H and F with them. If you're not one of those that believe that all pork need be cooked to death, i.e. well done, pork loin is surprisingly juicy considering the lack of marbling.

**Side note for those that may not know: the danger involved in pork lies on the surface, same as beef. The wee beasties we really need be concerned with are primarily on the surface and are killed fairly easy during cooking, but, this is with all meat.. Internal worry would come from parasites; trichenella. The CDC did a study some time back and in a 4 year span, only 90 cases were reported. Only 22 of those were related to pork. An even smaller number of THOSE were reported as raw or undercooked. Trichinellosis is a reportable illness, just like yellow fever, etc.. In short, chances of nabbing anything eating pork on the medium to med-rare side are just as risky as beef.. :)
(Insert witty signature here)
egghead USER_AVATAR
egghead
Egg Master

Postby egghead » Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:45 am

Txdragon wrote:**Side note for those that may not know: the danger involved in pork lies on the surface, same as beef. The wee beasties we really need be concerned with are primarily on the surface and are killed fairly easy during cooking, but, this is with all meat.. Internal worry would come from parasites; trichenella. The CDC did a study some time back and in a 4 year span, only 90 cases were reported. Only 22 of those were related to pork. An even smaller number of THOSE were reported as raw or undercooked. Trichinellosis is a reportable illness, just like yellow fever, etc.. In short, chances of nabbing anything eating pork on the medium to med-rare side are just as risky as beef.. :)

Always heard that all the bad guys (wee beasties) were on the surface and they are sent to never never land when cooked so a rare or blue steak is free of the bad guys. But what about when the meat goes through a grinder for something like a hamburger? Are the bad guys mixed in and should the burger be cooked throughout? Serious question because my bride of 44 years, 5 months, 7 days, and 17 hours and I like our burgers medium to medium rare.
Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of congress; but I repeat myself - Mark Twain
XL, Small, and Mini BGE
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:17 am

egghead wrote:
Always heard that all the bad guys (wee beasties) were on the surface and they are sent to never never land when cooked so a rare or blue steak is free of the bad guys. But what about when the meat goes through a grinder for something like a hamburger? Are the bad guys mixed in and should the burger be cooked throughout? Serious question because my bride of 44 years, 5 months, 7 days, and 17 hours and I like our burgers medium to medium rare.

I will be 100% honest on this and say that the risk of anything happening with ground meat is increased. However, out of your 44 years, 5 months, 7 days, and 17 hours have you had any problem brought on by eating a medium/med-rare burger?
I will definitely say that if quality control were HALF as good on our regular merchandise items as it is on our food, we wouldn't have to worry about them darn Wal-Mart returns. Lol!
(Insert witty signature here)
egghead USER_AVATAR
egghead
Egg Master

Postby egghead » Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:21 am

:laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7:
Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of congress; but I repeat myself - Mark Twain
XL, Small, and Mini BGE

Return to “Grillin and Chillin”