Cornish On'a Can ?

Everything Grilled. We LOVE pictures.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Cornish On'a Can ?

Postby OldUsedParts » Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:58 pm

Since the Wiffy isn't a fan of Cornish Hens and the only ones that I have had were the "ultra-dry" roasted ones under the infra-red at a few stores, it's just not something that I ever buy. However, my idle BBQ Brain got to ?thinking? about doing one Beer Can Style after marinating it in Allegro. Several years ago the Allegro Creole Marinade was my go-to with hot wings and then they quit making it and started making a hot and spicy which never came up to the Creole IMHO. Well, now I can't find Hot and Spicy but only their latest "Nashville Hot Chicken Marinade". Therefore, I have a Cornish Cutie bathing in it in the Frig. Don't know if I'll beer can it TODAY or Tomorrow but one of the two fo sho. :tup: Getting it on the Beer Can is gonna be a challenge but I think it will go on enuff to do the job. :dont: More as it progresses :chef:
IMG_0040.JPG

If this turns out good then my next experiment will be Jerk Cornish Spatchcock over Kingsford coals.
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Re: Cornish On'a Can ?

Postby OldUsedParts » Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:24 pm

Patience is NOT one of my Vurtuosos so after several hours being flipped in the marinade she's on the ECB about 14" over the coals. I'll check her temp in an hour and see where we are. Didn't want to use a large drip pan for this rack so I improvised some foil under it and that should work just fine.

IMG_0041.JPG

IMG_0042.JPG

IMG_0043.JPG

Didn't have a penner for a neck plug so I used a slice of bacon. :dont:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:09 pm

Checked I.T. at 50 minutes and it was 118 in the thigh BUT a sickly color so I stoked the charcoal and chunked on some mesquite chips. :chef: :dont: :scratch:
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:49 pm

My Beer Can Chickens would be barked and almost ready by this time but at an hour and fifteen minutes she's still not done. So I added more charcoal and, WITH MY BARE HANDS, I took her off the Can and placed directly over the coals breasts down. I will roll her over and check the I.T. in an additional 30 minutes and see what happens. My thoughts now are to not Beer Can a Cornish but I may be over reacting and rushing things. :dont:
IMG_0044.JPG

IMG_0045.JPG

IMG_0046.JPG

IMG_0047.JPG
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:03 pm

flipped will check again in 15 min

IMG_0048.JPG
sailor kenshin USER_AVATAR
Sailor Kenshin
Chuck Wagon

Postby Sailor Kenshin » Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:10 pm

That bacon slice looks like a rose! :tup:

We had trouble with a Cornish in the air fryer...seemed to take for. Ever. :dont:

Looking forward to the report, OUP.
Moink!
russ USER_AVATAR
Russ
Chuck Wagon

Postby Russ » Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:41 pm

Looking good, you seem to be able to preempt my cooking moves, I'm doing beer can too in next day or so. Bet yours melts in ya mouth?

Russ
4 burner q
Honky hangi
Home smoker.

It costs nothing to be nice. A smile goes a long way.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:49 pm

I'm glad you mentioned that, Sailor, because that was the case with this one.

Well, it's finally done (applause applause) AND :dont:
The taste is awesome but not any better than a regular Chicken done this way. but a heckofva lot less meat to enjoy.
The juices ran clear and plentiful even at 187 I.T. with final 45 minutes minus the can.
Gave the Wiffy a taste and she loved it - - - so I can honestly say that the HOT word depends on who's tasting it - - - all I get is good flavor but nothing I would call heat.

I finished my plate with yesterday's sides and was glad I did this but, if I do another, "THEY" will be spatchcocked with Jerk Sauce.
IMG_0049.JPG

IMG_0051.JPG

IMG_0052.JPG
russ USER_AVATAR
Russ
Chuck Wagon

Postby Russ » Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:18 pm

Ya done it again, Martha's due for an appearance as well,lol.

Russ
4 burner q
Honky hangi
Home smoker.

It costs nothing to be nice. A smile goes a long way.
sailor kenshin USER_AVATAR
Sailor Kenshin
Chuck Wagon

Postby Sailor Kenshin » Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:30 pm

Ohhh that plate..... :salut:

OUP, you are forcing me to buy a collards leaf stripper. Now if we can only find the collards...
Moink!
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:38 pm

Funny you should mention that leaf stripper. A couple of years ago, my late friend from Minnesota got to asking me about them and so I sent him my recipe and some how/some where they found some. His Wife, an Angel on Earth and Dear Friend also, mentioned one day about a leaf stripper and it was the first I'd ever heard of one. I'm still hard headed and OLD Skool and continue to do mine on the cutting board with my paring knife. :D

OH, I also turned him onto Pickled Okra - - - - "It's a Reb Yank Thang yanno :?: :laughing7:
professor bunky USER_AVATAR
Professor Bunky
Outlaw

Postby Professor Bunky » Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:33 pm

Nicely plated! :salut:

I'm glad it turned out well. Cornish Hens SHOULD cook faster than normal chickens but never do. I suspect it has something to do Quantuum Mechaanics and the Heisenberg Meat Uncertainty Principle (you can't accurately know both the weight and the cook time of a meat). :laughing7:
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:36 pm

:laughing7: :D :lol: :dont: if You say so :tup: :salut:
professor bunky USER_AVATAR
Professor Bunky
Outlaw

Postby Professor Bunky » Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:24 pm

You can take it all with a grain of salt - I've been to the dentist today and my head's a little scrambled. :?
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:50 am

Maybe since the Cornish hen has less surface area than regular? :dont: Looking like a winner either way!! I haven't had corney hens in a long while. May have to revisit them.
(Insert witty signature here)

Return to “Grillin and Chillin”